Author Topic: The next step  (Read 7940 times)

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
The next step
« on: December 15, 2006, 08:51:22 am »
I did it.  I called my neurosurgeon yesterday to follow-up about the numbness in my hand b/c of the pressure bruise I got on my elbow during my surgery.  And (you'll never believe this Paul!) his assistant called me back this morning with an appt for an EMG on 12/27.  Woo-hoo!

I don't actually believe anything can be done to fix the nerve damage, but I want to have it evaluated so I always know where I started from.  Of all the possible side effects of skull surgery, I never cosidered the possibility of a partially numb hand!  Blargh.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: The next step
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 07:07:04 pm »
Hey Katie,

There may be something you can do re: the numbness in your hand if they find it's a compression issue

Another surgery ( no, this is not funny)

Last year I had hand numbness (mainly pinkie & ring finger, both hands), & it was due to ulner nerve compression at the ELBOW  ( I had bilateral ulner decompression, no more numbness )
Might be what happened to you because of the positioning - might have made a pre-condition worse.....

Who knows ?

It's a thought.

Good luck with the MRI,    Nancy
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 07:09:43 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

krbonner

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 07:42:02 am »
Thanks, Nancy.  The numbness comes from a pressure bruise on my elbow that compressed the ulnar nerve - just like you described!  Numbness in my pinky and ring finger on that hand.  It is possible that there's still some compression or swelling inside even though the visible bruise has healed - I hadn't thought about that.  Hopefully the EMG will be able to give some clues!

Thanks!
Katie
diagnosed June 2005

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 08:29:30 am »
Katie,

PLU-EEEEZE keep us updated on this!!!!! :)

Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 09:09:44 pm »
Katie I had a lot of numbness in my hands post surgery.  Hmm...wonder if it was due to positioning.  I had so many other things going on I didnt' do anything about it.  I do know that bruising can still be evident even if you do not see any discoloration, so hopefully you'll need no more surgery!  Keep us updated!

krbonner

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 09:39:20 am »
Well, I got the report back from the nerve conduction testing on my left arm/hand.  The conclusion?  "There is neurophysiologic evidence of severe ulnar nerve dysfunction at the left elbow."  Well, duh!!! ::)

At least I now have a doctor's note saying there's a problem.  Now I have to somehow get ahold of my neurosurgeon and see what the next step is, or if there's any hope at all of this getting better.  I at least want the name of a neurologist who specilizes in this kind of nerve damage. 

Of all the possible risks of AN surgery, I'm still amazed that I ended up with none of the facial or dizziness problems, but have a numb hand from a pressure bruise.  Mind you, I'm really not complaining!  I'm just still amazed by it.  And I am going to follow-up - I've adapted a lot to this, but that means I'm using that hand when I shouldn't be and I drop a lot of things.  Including hot oatmeal on my almost-2-year-old's head!   :'(  At least he recovered quickly.

And I guess I won't be playing violin again anytime soon...

Anyhoo...

Katie
diagnosed June 2005

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 10:22:55 am »
Hi Katie:

I had ulner compression on both elbows in 2005; had the surgery (1 arm at a time so I could have 1 functioning limb during recuperation):
they do an ulner decompression & transposition.  I also had the major weakness you describe - I didn't have it checked till it interferred with
my piano playing.  The surgery is done outpt.  & I'm so glad I had it done.  No further problems since.   

Good luck my friend,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 11:04:03 am »
Katie,

oy....... speechless... please keep  us updated on your further steps on this issue.

Phyl

Well, I got the report back from the nerve conduction testing on my left arm/hand.  The conclusion?  "There is neurophysiologic evidence of severe ulnar nerve dysfunction at the left elbow."  Well, duh!!! ::)

At least I now have a doctor's note saying there's a problem.  Now I have to somehow get ahold of my neurosurgeon and see what the next step is, or if there's any hope at all of this getting better.  I at least want the name of a neurologist who specilizes in this kind of nerve damage. 

Of all the possible risks of AN surgery, I'm still amazed that I ended up with none of the facial or dizziness problems, but have a numb hand from a pressure bruise.  Mind you, I'm really not complaining!  I'm just still amazed by it.  And I am going to follow-up - I've adapted a lot to this, but that means I'm using that hand when I shouldn't be and I drop a lot of things.  Including hot oatmeal on my almost-2-year-old's head!   :'(  At least he recovered quickly.

And I guess I won't be playing violin again anytime soon...

Anyhoo...

Katie
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

krbonner

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 11:42:51 am »
Hi Katie:

I had ulner compression on both elbows in 2005; had the surgery (1 arm at a time so I could have 1 functioning limb during recuperation):
they do an ulner decompression & transposition.  I also had the major weakness you describe - I didn't have it checked till it interferred with
my piano playing.  The surgery is done outpt.  & I'm so glad I had it done.  No further problems since.   

Good luck my friend,  Nancy

That's so good to hear, Nancy!  Thank you!  I'll definitely be following up with the doctors about this.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 12:31:24 pm »
hey Katie: 

glad to be of help.   my doctor who operated is a hand surgeon, specializing in microsurgery - she's great, well known at Univ. of Miami.
I let it go so long the muscle on my right hand between thumb and forefinger had wasted away,  it did come back after I got back to
playing the piano.

best wishes Katie (believe me, it was NOTHING like the AN surgery,  I don't think there is anything as bad a brain surgery, ugh !!!)
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

krbonner

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 04:02:49 pm »
I finally saw Dr. Barker again today to follow up about the nerve damage to my hand.  The EMG I had in Dec showed damage to the ulnar nerve from the elbow down to my hand (like I didn't know that!) caused by the pressure bruise from my AN surgery.  The next steps include:
- blood work (some super-specialized tests to see if my nerves are especially susceptible - won't help me heal, but good to know to prevent future problems)
- physical therapy to make sure the muscles don't atrophy
- repeat EMG in three months to see if there's any improvement

If there's no improvement in three months, the next step is to talk with a hand surgeon to see if there's anything that can be done surgically.  (I don't mind waiting the three months - I'd rather not have surgery again, and this isn't truly affecting my day-to-day life). 

A part of me (the very cynical part) thinks Barker is doing all this as CYA, hoping we don't sue him for damages.  I'm really hoping that's not the case, and that he's really trying to help...

But maybe I'm just really tired of driving an hour into Boston in the aftermath of a big snowstorm...

Katie
diagnosed June 2005

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 12:30:02 pm »
Dang Katie... I hate to hear you going through this... and if Barker is, indeed, CYA, well this could be very interesting....... Please keep us updated on this situation as I'm sure many here will now follow it...

..and like you... this weather is killing me....

Phyl

matti

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 07:34:55 pm »
From the moment I awoke from surgery I had severe pain in my tail bone that persisted daily for almost 4 years. Sitting was excruciating. I had every test imaginable and it was finally determined that it was caused from I how was placed during surgery. A diagnosis I figured out from the getgo, but they disregarded it. Almost 9 years later and the pain still occurs if I sit more than an hour or so.  I also remember I could not fully extend both arms without being in pain and that lasted for almost 5 months.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 09:35:54 pm »
Katie could you play the violin before your an surgery? 

Geesh, as if the an surgery isn't bad enough we have to have strange numbness and tinglys occurr too!  :(  Katie may it all be better in 3 mos!  No more dropped oatmeal! 

krbonner

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 10:17:43 am »
Katie could you play the violin before your an surgery? 

In fact, yes!   ;D  Though nowhere near professional, I was hoping to return to the community orchestra scene when the kids got a little older...

Katie
diagnosed June 2005