Author Topic: Aspirin and tumeric?  (Read 1768 times)

Leighannski

Aspirin and tumeric?
« on: September 23, 2022, 03:35:11 pm »
Hello,
I have been taking 325mg of aspirin daily since my diagnosis August 2nd. Does that dosage sound right? And should I add turmeric? Or would that be too much?
AN diagnosis 7/2/22 2mmx3mm

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Aspirin and tumeric?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 04:39:54 am »
Hello LeighAnn and welcome.

Please note that we are not doctors and you should consult with your physician regarding any medication/supplements.  Others here may be able to share their personal experiences and, yet, we are not qualified to answer medication dosage questions. I hope this helps.  Wishing you well.
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

donjehle

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 06:27:07 pm »
Welcome to the ANA Forums, Leighannski!

I'm thrilled that you made your first post here. :)

ppearl214 is correct.  I'm not a physician, and I cannot give any medical advice, nor should I.  We do share our personal experiences which often vary from person to person.  What often is beneficial for one person sometimes does not help others.

So, with that in mind, I will share my understanding with you.  It could be wrong, and I will be the first to admit that I sometimes may misunderstand something.  But what I read, Leighannski, is that there was a lot of initial excitement about the benefits of aspirin for acoustic neuromas.  Unfortunately, with more research and studies, it seems like aspirin (with or without tumeric) proved to not have any significant beneficial effect.  That is my understanding, and I thought I would share it with you.

However, if you want to try aspirin and see if it works for you, that's up to you.  But I don't think even your physician could give you a recommended dosage since the research studies did not prove as effective as some of us had hoped.

Others on the forum could share their personal experience with aspirin and tumeric.  They might also share other options which worked well for them.

Best wishes on your journey!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

mwatto

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 07:57:59 pm »
Hi Leigh Ann both turmeric and aspirin are blood thinners so not a good idea. The aspirin research did not show it helped significantly for AN though inflammation is a known cause of growth. Other things people have tried that seem to be backed by science and anecdotes of success here are: Suforaphane, fucoidan, bromelain, turmeric, resveratol, honokial...whatever works on the PAK-1 pathway (Prof Maruto told me this he did research on it). Stress and sleep are also factors. Melatonin is useful and some have had help with nerve pain with herbs, CBD, PEA. As far as I know though there is nothing that conclusively works to get rid of an AN except surgery.
Michele
20 x19x14mm Cystic AN diagnosed Feb 2019. CK.
Mri 2019 shrinking: 18x17x13 mm.
Mri 2020 - no cysts visible stable.
MRI 2021 stable no change
MRI 2022 stable no change.
MRI 2023 Further reduction 12x12x10mm!! Hearing 85%
MRI 2024: No change AN or hearing

donjehle

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 08:04:44 pm »
Thanks for sharing that, Michele!  I was hoping that you would comment on the post. :)
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

mwatto

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2022, 08:35:02 pm »
My pleasure donjehle! I still read up on AN - see my post on stress and this makes the most sense really- Ifrom what I have read AN's start off as a wound response- so that might be dental xrays to head and neck, or excessive noise, or a viral infection. But growth is driven by inflammation- and stress defintely causes that. I work on neuro inflamamation daily, keep stress down (not easy when this thing causes anxiety). I do think keeping blood on the thin side might reduce blood pressure...I do this with ginger shots in juice or tea. There are many herbal tinctures which are also blood thinners too that are safer than aspirin. Not against aspirin - I have taken low dose after my vax side effects which made my blood sluggish and it did help. But I have a sister admitted to ER after long term NSAIDs and gastric bleeding. There are clinical papers such as this on sulforaphane eg. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5090244/ and honokial (honopure) has shown promise. Prof Maruto who is something of an expert on NF2 said even sporadic its the PAK-1 pathway and advised me to take: fucoidan (I take Matakana brand), sulforaphane (Matakana), hibiscus tea and propolis (I am not convinced re the latter) for example. But If you google natural compounds there are so many that work on this pathway. Melatonin attentuates acoustic radiation damage so this makes sense to me too. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/lary.25376
Michele
20 x19x14mm Cystic AN diagnosed Feb 2019. CK.
Mri 2019 shrinking: 18x17x13 mm.
Mri 2020 - no cysts visible stable.
MRI 2021 stable no change
MRI 2022 stable no change.
MRI 2023 Further reduction 12x12x10mm!! Hearing 85%
MRI 2024: No change AN or hearing

Leighannski

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2022, 07:55:51 am »
Thank you all! My doctor said I could take aspirin but didn't say how much and I didn't know about tumeric at the time so I didn't ask about that. I will look into some of the other suggestions.
AN diagnosis 7/2/22 2mmx3mm

BertH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2022, 11:30:24 am »
Hi Leighann! I understand your concern, but in spite of personal experiences with our brain guests, most of us here aren't doctors. We can tell you about steps we take to lessen symptoms, etc., but that shouldn't be medical advice to anyone else.  Please, please, please consult your own physician for medical guidance!
Bert
Full member since 2010

CA Marti

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2022, 04:26:42 pm »
Hi Leighannski,
I just wanted to share with you what I was told by a few doctors. The first ENT/otolaryngologist I saw told me I should take 1 baby aspirin daily. I have been taking 1 baby aspirin(81 mg) daily for the past year and a half. A neurosurgeon from the Mayo Clinic said that it’s a good idea for everyone over 50 to take daily baby aspirin. . I also take turmeric occasionally but not on same days as aspirin. I’m only letting you know what I personally am doing, and I did do research on this site where I noticed several other people were also taking baby aspirin. I believe someone started an aspirin poll, if I remember who it was I’ll get back to you on that.
Best of luck!
CA Marti
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 05:52:48 pm by CA Marti »
Marti

Diagnosed 5/28/2021 10.5mmX8.5mmX6mm
Next MRI   11/22/2021 10mmX8mmX6mm
MRI           12/9/2022   5mmX6mmX7mm

CA Marti

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2022, 01:04:12 pm »
I believe ANSydney started an aspirin study awhile back. I don’t know if she is still on this forum, but I’d be interested in her results.
CA Marti
Marti

Diagnosed 5/28/2021 10.5mmX8.5mmX6mm
Next MRI   11/22/2021 10mmX8mmX6mm
MRI           12/9/2022   5mmX6mmX7mm

donjehle

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2022, 05:35:44 am »
One of the reasons we cannot recommend a treatment protocol is that what may work for a few fortunate individuals does not always work for most people.  The only way we know if something actually works for the majority of people is to do a study.  Here is a link to a study done a few years ago on aspirin and acoustic neuromas.  It showed that while a few patients benefited, taking aspirin does not prevent growth of acoustic neuromas for most people.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29405309/

And one more:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28692590/

While there was some hope initially that aspirin might be helpful to prevent growth in acoustic neuroma patients, the most recent studies seem to show that it is not the case for most people.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 05:47:06 am by donjehle »
No treatment yet.

davebanninga

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2022, 05:32:13 am »
Hello,
I have been taking 325mg of aspirin daily since my diagnosis August 2nd. Does that dosage sound right? And should I add turmeric? Or would that be too much?

I've been taking 400 MG of ibuprofen, and a baby aspirin a day, i also take Turmeric, and sulforaphane, i use CBD/THC, and some melatonin and B6 L tryptophane.
i'm gonna add Shiitake, Aswagandha and omega 3 to it starting next week I basically stick to anti-inflammatories and anti-oxidant rich foods.

so far with the 1 ibuprofen a day (400MG), cbd, melatonin, magnesium/tryptophane and turmeric ive somehow got rid of almost all symptoms, my vs is 40mm in size i had dizziness, bad headaches a bit of balance problems. those have been gone for a oouple of weeks now. ive been taking the supplements for a month.

i've recently been diagnosed so iam very curious what the next MRI will show, i really think mine is shrinking for some reason but time will tell
Diagnosed Nov '22 
left AN 40mm
Put on wait and scan

Jan' 23 vomitting and severe headaches.
2nd MRI Jan'23 showed 48mm (8mm increase because of bleeding in tumor)

Surgery planned for 23th of Feb '23