Author Topic: Headache pre operation  (Read 791 times)

davebanninga

Headache pre operation
« on: December 26, 2022, 03:52:12 am »
I've been reading complaints of people that have post operational headaches.
I've been unlucky and have pre operation headaches.

The Neurosurgeon told me my VS is not the cause of the headache, which i find hard to believe, i am pretty healthy and dont have any underlying medical conditions.
The headaches i used to head came from the VS side and felt like a stabbing pain, also in my ear, those have recently passed since taking some specific supplements.

I still have headaches but they are different, they are in my neck/back of the head if i look straight i have no problems, when i pick something up from the ground or go from a sitting to a standing position it feels like theres increased blood-flow its a heavy pounding headache that stays for a few seconds, same for sitting in a chair looking down for a second and then back up.

They are usually the worst in the mornings, with the passing of the day they become less noticeable still there but not nearly as painful
Does any one recognize this type of headache, and how do you cope with them.
Diagnosed Nov '22 
left AN 40mm
Put on wait and scan

Jan' 23 vomitting and severe headaches.
2nd MRI Jan'23 showed 48mm (8mm increase because of bleeding in tumor)

Surgery planned for 23th of Feb '23

donjehle

Re: Headache pre operation
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2022, 07:39:29 pm »
That is one of the things I find amazing about acoustic neuromas.  Some people have awful headaches after surgery.  Others have no headaches whatsoever after surgery (or they have headaches right after surgery, but they soon disappear and don't have them anymore).  Others, like you davebanninga, have headaches before the surgery (maybe because of how the acoustic neuroma is pressing on a nerve?), but many others never have headaches attributable to the acoustic neuroma prior to surgery.  And some people never had bad headaches before or after surgery.  It is interesting to me how each of our journeys can be different depending on how our AN affects us.
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.