Author Topic: Acoustic neuroma and dementia  (Read 6470 times)

Dawn from MN

Acoustic neuroma and dementia
« on: May 27, 2022, 06:44:11 pm »
I've read there is a connection between hearing loss and an increase in developing dementia. Are AN patients at an even higher risk of dementia?

donjehle

Re: Acoustic neuroma and dementia
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 12:04:09 pm »
Hi Dawn,

I was going to joke and say that I also read about the connection with dementia, but I can't remember what it said!  :P
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

TrueKnits

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 03:14:30 pm »
I believe if a clear link existed doctors would have found it by now, though that does not discount the cases of some patients who clearly have dementia along with hearing loss.
I think we have enough to concern ourselves with in the short term.
Personally I have experienced some cognitive decline since January.
It is strange. It feels as though my brain is a drive that has lost nearly all its RAM.  I still am able to access data, just at slow speed and through concentration. There is a hesitancy in my spoken conversations as I sometimes pause to select the proper word, but I am always able to articulate my thoughts.
The concentration is exhausting.
10.4 mm Right Side AN Diagnosed 5/25/2022
Retrosigmoid Surgery Scheduled for 08/12/2022
Doctors Neff and Van Gompel Mayo Rochester

Jordybutt

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 03:12:16 am »
TrueKnits,
I am also experiencing cognitive decline very similar to what you have described. Also my memory (which was already faulty) seems worse. I am hoping that it’s the stress and anxiety causing the cognitive and memory issues but I can’t help and wonder if it’s something physical from the AN.
Jordy
Diagnosed 3cm AN Right Side 31/10/2022
Retrosigmoid Approach 04/01/2023
13% Remaining

drumfest

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2022, 02:36:56 pm »
If interested, check out the book Keep Sharp by Sanjay Gupta.  You should be able to borrow it from your local library.  I checked out the ebook from mine and then purchased a hard copy because I enjoyed it so much.  It doesn't address the AN question concerning dementia, but the book is all about preserving cognitive abilities and mitigating dementia & alzheimers progression.  I continue to practice the recommendations in the book daily.
Hope you all find this useful.
Diagnosed 4/2022 L sided AN 1.2cm.  stuffiness/clogged sensation w/slight hearing loss but good WRS.  Occupation: Professional musician.  No treatment yet

mwatto

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2022, 08:12:02 pm »
Hearing loss has been linked to dementia and my audiologist stressed this to me though I dont have too much loss (4 years CK) however I wont hesitate to hget hearing aids if I need them same with having yearly optometrist appointments. We need all our faculties along with moderate exercise and healthy diet. I play chess twice a day with husband we do do chess puzzles as well. I had cognitive fog after the vax (neuro inflammation) but worked on that with a few supplements and gone now. We listen to music all day also and get sufficient sleep - battle with this though hence melatonin etc.
Michele
20 x19x14mm Cystic AN diagnosed Feb 2019. CK.
Mri 2019 shrinking: 18x17x13 mm.
Mri 2020 - no cysts visible stable.
MRI 2021 stable no change
MRI 2022 stable no change.
MRI 2023 Further reduction 12x12x10mm!! Hearing 85%
MRI 2024: No change AN or hearing

4givvvn

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2023, 10:37:56 am »
The discussion is quite interesting and I would like to express my opinion.

You see, dementia tends to be quite common among individuals who experience isolation. Hearing loss can actually contribute to a person isolating themselves and potentially developing dementia. I believe it's highly dependent on how well the individual mentally copes with the loss of their hearing.

But still, at the first signs, I recommend you to undergo a neuropsych evaluation in NYC.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 03:50:39 pm by 4givvvn »

donjehle

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2023, 01:41:21 pm »
Thank you, 4givvvn, for posting those encouraging words!
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.