Author Topic: Medical Marijuana  (Read 9492 times)

Patti

Medical Marijuana
« on: August 14, 2018, 07:04:36 am »
I live in NYS and my PT suggested that I would be a good candidate for medical marijuana (can't smoke-it would have to be a tincture).  I have trigeminal neuralgia which wakes me up at night. I have taken ambien and a small dose of clonapin for over a decade and i would like to try something not so "medical". I have an appointment with a family doctor who is certified. I went to the NYSDOH and found many listings.  Surprising! I didn't realize it was so mainstream now.  It is a financial commitment, but my husband is on board.  Has anyone had any success with this?
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Gtmochi

Re: Medical Marijuana
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 06:02:00 pm »
Hi Patti,

I live in LA, CA (land of legal marijuana!), but am from Maryland. I have tingling along the face and tongue on the AN side. Before diagnosis, I thought my TMJ was getting worse! No such luck ;-). Anyway based on what you describe experiencing, my issues are not as severe. That said, when I got diagnosed I couldn't stay asleep, and it was making everything worse - including the trigeminal nerve issues. Anyway, I ended up going to a dispensary for CBD tincture (I don't smoke , and have never smoked pot, if you can believe it).  It worked a treat! I have never had problems falling asleep, but the staying asleep had become an issue because of anxiety. That went away straight away, and my facial tingling abated. I had CK in April, and have been taking tincture since March. After CK my tingling reduced, but I believe the CBD to have played a huge hand in that.  CBD tincture has been used for people with traumatic brain injuries, and a dear friend with MS takes it for neurologic issues - it helped her a lot.   I have read that it does not help everyone - I recently read an article in The Washington Post about a boy who took an experimental CBD medication for seizures and who had excellent results, but that not everyone has the same result. That said, the CBD certainly can't hurt! Most CBD tinctures have trace amounts of THC, which I understand helps them be effective. However, it does not impair or make you high at all :). I certainly have not had any kind of weird experiences! Just be forewarned - the tincture tastes like the water that collects in a lawnmower bag. I take it, leave it under my tongue as long as I can stand, and then eat a starburst or something to kill the taste.
Diagnosis 2/15/18, 2.5 cm right side AN, hearing 100%
CK at Stanford, 4/23-4/25/18, Dr. Chang and Dr. Hancock
6 month MRI: No change, central necrosis
1 year MRI: some shrinking and necrosis

Patti

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 09:00:18 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement at trying a different thing! I'll keep you posted but it wont be for another 6 weeks  :(   
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

JLR

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 06:08:13 am »
Sounds good! I never tasted water from a lawn mower lol but if it helps that's very good. Keep us posted.

Gtmochi

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 03:51:02 pm »
Lol!! JLR, I should have said it LOOKS like lawnmower water tastes ;D. I am telling you - the CBD tincture tastes like what I imagine licking algae to be like - HA! So gnarly. But it's worth it!

Patti, Yes! I so endorse the trying of different things  and CBD tincture. Bummer you have to wait 6 weeks though  :P.  I hope it helps you, and am looking forward to updates!

Diagnosis 2/15/18, 2.5 cm right side AN, hearing 100%
CK at Stanford, 4/23-4/25/18, Dr. Chang and Dr. Hancock
6 month MRI: No change, central necrosis
1 year MRI: some shrinking and necrosis

mwatto

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 11:11:36 pm »
Ugh hated the medical cannabis made me feel sick and elevated my liver enzymes and so expensive. This is an update -I have found a full tincture 3000 CBD THC to be extremely helpful combined with 2 mg compounded melatonin at night. My stabbing ear pain has gone - though I suspet that was TMJ tension now not the AN. Sleeping better- I have taken a fragment of zokpidem but havent needed since the full spectrum CBD THC (13% THC)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 08:03:59 pm by mwatto »
Michele
20 x19x14mm Cystic AN diagnosed Feb 2019. CK.
Mri 2019 shrinking: 18x17x13 mm.
Mri 2020 - no cysts visible stable.
MRI 2021 stable no change
MRI 2022 stable no change.
MRI 2023 Further reduction 12x12x10mm!! Hearing 85%
MRI 2024: No change AN or hearing