Author Topic: Does anyone who does not have tinnitus want to hear it?  (Read 9019 times)

Obita

Does anyone who does not have tinnitus want to hear it?
« on: October 21, 2006, 06:51:29 pm »
Now this is interesting.  For our loved ones and friends who can't imagine what tinnitus is like, try this:

http://www.rnid.org.uk/information_resources/tinnitus/about_tinnitus/what_does_it_sound_like/

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
Re: Does anyone who does not have tinnitus want to hear it?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 08:23:51 pm »
HI Kathy,
  WOW, that's really interesting. I'm playing it for my family, maybe it will give them a clue.
Although none of the sounds were like mine. I have what sounds like a 100's of high pitched, all different frequencies, ringing going on all at the same time, all the time. And it varries in intensity. Wish this had a sound like mine for my family to hear.
Thanks for sharing this.
Patti
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Dfcman

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 10:25:31 pm »
My Tumor was removed in partial surgeries.  I used to have it on occasion mainly between surgeries.  I had something in bed recently like a loud tone in my ear...I dunno what the hell that was.  But for the most part, Tinnitus does not bother me really...I bet its horrible.  How often is it?  Is it all the time?  Do you get used to it?
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 05:42:41 am »
Obita:  that was interesting.   My tinnitus seems to be what Patti experiences, more high pitched.    At the end of the tinnitus track it sounded like someone was farting(or just my sick mind).  Anyway, really neat.  Thanks Obita
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Sefra22

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 07:29:51 am »
I only have tinnitus infrequently, but when I do, it's most like the first sound, like the sound of a fan, or like that the sound you get when you put a seashell to your ear. One thing I can no longer stand, though, is to have a car window open while it is moving. For some reason, it seems to trigger the tinnitus.
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 12:59:47 pm »
Nancyann,

My kids were listening to it with me, they thought it sounded like various bodily sounds also :D.

dfcman,  mine is constant, all the time, always very loud, but sometimes extreemly loud. I can't wait to fall asleep because sleep is the only time I am not aware of it. But if I wake to use the restroom, or just turn over, that's it, I'm up for at least 2 hours trying to fall back asleep. The incessant noise keeps me awake. If you every want to know what theyre peddling on late night infomercials, just ask me. I've seen them all between 2-5am.  Sometimes I think I am going to loose my mind due to the noise.

So there ya go, that's how it sounds for me..   And my mother said I was never musically inclined.  LOL

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 07:35:43 pm »
Wow, Kathy, that's amazing...finally!!!  Something to play for them.  Mine is the first one maybe 1/2 an octive higher.  It's constant, very loud, but I've had it since I can remember, so I can usually tune it out.  Sometimes, it's like the one that sounds like it's in a bottle...that usually only lasts for a few seconds.  When I'm really exhaused, it gets really loud.  It's screaming right now.  Thanks for the find!!!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Rc Moser

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 08:17:18 pm »
Mine is more of lower pitch and has a rushing sound to it. Kind of like when you passed by a jack hammer, the sound both of  your ears make when subjected to Loud Obnoxious nosies Like Heavy metal!!! :o OK I'm Old school. now Steppenwolf is music to my ears.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

Dfcman

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 10:00:47 pm »
i'm so sorry...how frustrating.  Mine is like near nothing then.  How I feel for you folks...
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

Taylor

• Ra Ha Ha
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 10:12:00 pm »
Let's make up some music with it. My tinnitus is like her's above. an infrequent high pitch ringing. mostly when i move my eyes left right, up or down.  ???
Taylor
Translab/4.8 cm AN on right side removed 2/3/06
St. Louis Children's Hospital (next to Barnes-Jewish)/ Jeffery Leonard - Neurosurgeon
Cross-facial nerve graft with muscle transplant
Bad coordination on right side - constant pins-and-needles sensation on left side
21 years-old
Illinois

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 12:41:15 am »
Chris, I am very glad you don't have that bothersome, annoying, distracting, irritating tinnitus.  That is part of my "barganing" prayer.  "Please God, I will be more than happy to be totally deaf in one ear, if the tinnitus will just go away."  I hope you never develop it.  In my opinion, from what I've read, once it is there, it's very likely to never go away.

I have a fan in my bedroom to give me some "white noise" to help with the sleep. It does help. I have tinnitus constantly, Chris, but I know it's not as bad as it could be.  My computer threw  a rod or something and I don't have sound anymore, so I can't hear that website that you posted.  Darn.  I have a hissing/buzzing sort of sound.  Often in the car, with the car noise, I'll get secondary sounds...like off key plucks on a guitar string. It plays a little tune with 4 or 5 different notes, then starts over again.  Sometimes I get that when I'm in the bathroom with the fan on.  Sometimes I notice it at night with the fan in my room. Just like everyone else, it intensifies with too much caffiene, or in noisy/echoy rooms.  It's no fun. It's hard to ignore. It's tiring.  I like staying in the shower for a long time, because it sort of gets lost in the water sounds and makes me feel somewhat normal for 10 minutes.

Treasure your quiet moments, Chris.  It's a real blessing.

Sue in Vancouver

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 12:43:59 am »
Me too, every time I move my eyes left, right, up or down.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Taylor

• Ra Ha Ha
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 01:19:32 pm »
what is that paul?!?!
Taylor
Translab/4.8 cm AN on right side removed 2/3/06
St. Louis Children's Hospital (next to Barnes-Jewish)/ Jeffery Leonard - Neurosurgeon
Cross-facial nerve graft with muscle transplant
Bad coordination on right side - constant pins-and-needles sensation on left side
21 years-old
Illinois

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 01:33:11 pm »
The tinnitus intensifies. Isn't that what you had mentioned previously? I was only saying that I get the same effect when I shift my eyes.
I first heard about it from Joef. I think many of us can attest to the same thing.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital