Author Topic: Tinnitus in both ears now  (Read 4820 times)

Tricia Marie

Tinnitus in both ears now
« on: February 24, 2015, 08:21:31 am »
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I'm 25 and was diagnosed with a 1 cm AN on my left side in 08/2014 when I had extremely loud ringing and fullness in my left ear. I have been in the watch and wait status since then with fairly frequent MRIs of my brain and spine. I have recently been having tinnitus on my right side as well, mostly when I am trying to sleep on my right side. Although this is annoying and completely disrupts my already disrupted sleep schedule (I am a night shift nurse) what I am most concerned about is the possibility of a tumor on my right side, indicating nf2. My question is, have any of you experienced tinnitus in both sides due to a unilateral AN? I don't know if this is at all normal. I have just recently spoke to my doctor and am getting an MRI in April, which is the 6 month mark from my last brain scan.

Thanks,

Tricia

Tricia Marie

Re: Tinnitus in both ears now
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 08:23:03 am »
I meant that I was diagnosed in 08/2013.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 10:36:41 am »
Hi Tricia and welcome to this forum .....

Many of us have experienced bilateral tinnitus associated with a unilateral AN.  I never had tinnitus until after my left side AN was surgically removed, and then only on the AN side.  Some time later ..... I do not remember exactly when it started ..... I developed tinnitus on the right, but at a much lower volume level.  To this day I have my own little orchestra in my head because the two sides are different pitches/clangings!  I am due for another MRI in May, but all previous MRIs have been left-side ANs only.  I am SSD on the left and only very mild high-frequency hearing loss in my right ear.

What are your audiograms showing?  As I am sure you know, tinnitus is usually the response of the brain to hearing loss.  An audiogram might be your indicator.

Thoughts and prayers that your AN is stable.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ANGuy

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 12:33:26 pm »
Yes, I have very mild tinnitus in my non-AN ear.  And here's the really funny part, sometimes the tinnitus in my good ear will suddenly jump up and be louder than my bad ear.  I'm talking about for just a moment or so.  I was stopped at a light just yesterday and suddenly I had a very noticable ring in my good ear.  It sounded like a hearing test.  I turned the radio off to make sure it wasn't one of those emergency broadcast tones and it wasn't.  By the time the light turned green, it stopped.

I know I do not have NF2 because my Dr told me at my age it would have manifested itself in obvious ways by now.  I am 47.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Tricia Marie

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 08:07:32 am »
Thank you that is very helpful. I was concerned it was completely unheard of. My last two audiograms have been really good. Of course I don't expect that forever, but so far so good. My left ear is slightly below my right, but not by much. Thank you guys again I wish you the best of luck with this awful situation. I have an air purifier in my room to sort of drown out the ringing.. It helps me to sleep. I'm sure you guys have tried a plethora of different techniques, but if not I would give it a try!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 08:33:02 am »
Hi Tricia Marie .....

A couple years ago I purchased a sound machine with under pillow speakers to use at night.  Total quiet is often when I am suddenly aware of the racket in my head.  The sounds of the babbling brook are a relaxing distraction for me so I use it most nights.

..... just a suggestion for what works for me.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 09:57:24 am »
Only at night while sleeping, I will hear thin crispy claps of thunder that wakes me up.  It sounds like what I would expect electricity to sound like.  About once a week it will happen a couple of times and it shocks me awake.  It doesn't cause any problems or pain, but it's just a weird sensation and this thread prompted me to ask the forum.  In the back of my mind, I'm hoping it's my damaged nerves coming back to life.
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.

ANGuy

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 03:22:14 pm »
I have been falling asleep with the TV on "sleep timer" for most of my adult life just because I have always liked it.  I have to have something boring on.  Star Trek (original version), Honeymooners, King of Queens, Bob Newhart, all shows I've seen a million times.  I know all the words, I know how they end, there is no compulsion to see how the story turns out and no feeling that I am missing something by falling asleep because I know the same episode will be on again in a few weeks.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.