Author Topic: BAHA surgurgy was Dec 26  (Read 3261 times)

shannan29301

BAHA surgurgy was Dec 26
« on: January 15, 2015, 12:48:03 pm »
So I had my Baha surgery on Dec 26 and I am still in a great deal of pain. The stiches have not begun to dissolve, and my head not only hurts but is bumpy and numb. Has anyone else had this issue. My surgery was to be Dec 3'd however just as they were to wheel me in at MUSC it was noted they were about to preform the incorrect procedure on me.

Kristena

Re: BAHA surgergy was Dec 26
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 01:01:53 pm »
Have you have a previous surgery on your head? Are you able to compare it to that? And you don't say what type of BAHA you received (magnet, abutment or just the "screw in your skull" for now).
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

shannan29301

Re: BAHA surgurgy was Dec 26
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 09:52:17 am »
Yes, I have had many other surgery's ( most needing nothing greater than Tylenol, including a craniotomy) and I have a high tolerance to pain. I just found this surgery to be extra painful with a very long recovery time. I am also having spasms in my jaw on the same side as the surgery now, and the doctor states that's normal.

Still just not sure f I am benefiting enough from all that pain with this BAHA 4 attract. The wireless phone clip is not really loud enough unless I cover my good ear so it seems to be a waste. It is 4 hours to doctor and this whole process was much more time consuming than I was told.

I guess I was just wondering if others all seems a bit disappointed with the result after so much discomfort.

Kristena

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 03:17:34 pm »
I also had the Baha Attract model, but it had to be removed due to poor healing. Even before that however, I felt the disc was just too large under the skin and it was painful and uncomfortable when wearing hats or glasses--and there was no way I could sleep on that side. My whole summer of 2014 was ruined with pain and worry and surgeries. I now have the abutment.

I think I need to have my processor reprogrammed. I really thought the wireless phone clip was awesome, but I seem to have lost bluetooth capability and my extra program for noisy environments. I think my good ear overcompensates for the Baha or something. Sometimes it's really difficult to hear on the "bad" side, but if I cover my good ear, suddenly the Baha seems plenty loud.

A Baha is definitely better than SSD (in my opinion), but nothing like normal hearing! I wish I had been able to go with the abutment from the start. I'm sorry you're having so much discomfort. I don't know what the jaw spasms would be from?
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

alabamajane

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 03:46:59 pm »
I also have BAHA 4 connect (abutment not magnet). I had my surgery Oct 31 2014  and was activated Dec 26. I did not have a painful surgery or recovery,, it all went very well,, however, I am disappointed in the quality of hearing I am getting so far. As you say, the phone clip is pretty useless really,, except that you can Bluetooth it to the radio and use phone hands free. That's nice. But I am pretty dissatisfied with quality of hearing or in particular ability to understand conversation with processor. You can hear noise alright but I can not even understand a waiter standing next to me on that side. Very disappointed.

I had hoped with time my brain would adjust somewhat, but not much is changing and I've had one visit to audiologist for fine tuning already..I am going to make an appointment with another audiologist and see if she can help any..

I was SSD for three years before I got it so I guess I've just gotten used to hearing out of left ear! I still constantly turn my left side towards speaker to be able to understand person. Today I am at home and did not even put it on.
Maybe with more time it will get better. There are many on here that love theirs but I can do without mine just about as well! Sadly,,, sorry you are having so much pain with yours,, seems like you were activated pretty soon after surgery but maybe that's because its a magnet and not abutment .
Good luck and let us know how you get along,, I can't imagine why you would have spasms in jaw area either???
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26