Author Topic: Single Sided Headphones/ear buds  (Read 16420 times)

JB914

Single Sided Headphones/ear buds
« on: February 06, 2015, 11:30:12 pm »
Anyone have any recommendations for SSD headphones/earbuds for phone/ipod/mp3? 
11mm AN right side surgery House Ear Clinic 12/00
W. Luxford MD / John D. Day MD
SSD right side, ringing

madonal1

Re: Single Sided Headphones/ear buds
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 07:07:18 am »
I saw some on amazon , just read the reviews some people got them for ssd.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 07:10:04 am »
I bought the single bud stereo ScanSound several years ago on Amazon.  It works well for me.  See:

1-BUD Single-Ear Stereo Earphone w/ 3.5mm Plug and 3 sizes of rubber eartips - for MP3 Players, Tablets, and all Apple iPod, iPhone and iPad Models - Color: White/Silver/Copper
by Scan Sound, Inc.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

JB914

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 02:03:46 pm »
Thanks!
11mm AN right side surgery House Ear Clinic 12/00
W. Luxford MD / John D. Day MD
SSD right side, ringing

keithmac

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 05:58:20 pm »
Off-topic but related....  Are there any .mp3 players with independent right/left channel controls for volume and tone?  When using a regular Sony mp3 player I'm listening mostly through one ear - hopeless for stereo sound!

ANGuy

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 07:53:21 pm »
Off-topic but related....  Are there any .mp3 players with independent right/left channel controls for volume and tone?  When using a regular Sony mp3 player I'm listening mostly through one ear - hopeless for stereo sound!

I think a single ear bud combines both channels into the one bud.  I don't know if this addresses exactly what you were looking for, but it should eliminate the stereo separation of using only one of the two channels.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

keithmac

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 08:16:29 pm »

I think a single ear bud combines both channels into the one bud.  I don't know if this addresses exactly what you were looking for, but it should eliminate the stereo separation of using only one of the two channels.

No I'm looking for a way to amplify the left channel - my a.n. affected hearing side - to more closely match the 'good' side so I hear sound from both at a similar volume.  The kind of adjustment that can often be made to audio systems' speaker systems and even those on home-cinema TV sets.

ANGuy

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 08:54:18 pm »

No I'm looking for a way to amplify the left channel - my a.n. affected hearing side - to more closely match the 'good' side so I hear sound from both at a similar volume.  The kind of adjustment that can often be made to audio systems' speaker systems and even those on home-cinema TV sets.

Now I understand what you mean.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

ANGuy

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 09:01:43 pm »

keithmac

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 11:36:33 pm »
This might be of use:

http://www.scansound.com/index.php/adjustable-stereo-mono-headphones.html

thanks!  The adjustable volume would be handy although they're bulkier than I'm used to.  They're out of stock presently but I'll add 'em to a wish list for when they come back in stock. 

What I'd also like to try is a player where frequency bands can be adjusted to boost the loss I have at certain frequencies.  My player has adjustments but on both channels simultaneously - no way to boost just my 'bad' side.

Thanks, though, for your suggestion - I'll keep my fingers crossed the phones come into stock soon.

Kristena

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 08:06:48 am »
That is a great idea Clarice--thanks! Not only is the lack of all the channels bothersome (sometimes you miss the background singers; sometimes you miss the guitar riff), it's annoying to have that extra bud either flopping around or tucked in the ear unnecessarily.
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

ANGuy

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 08:47:38 pm »
This might be of use:

thanks!  The adjustable volume would be handy although they're bulkier than I'm used to.  They're out of stock presently but I'll add 'em to a wish list for when they come back in stock. 

What I'd also like to try is a player where frequency bands can be adjusted to boost the loss I have at certain frequencies.  My player has adjustments but on both channels simultaneously - no way to boost just my 'bad' side.

Thanks, though, for your suggestion - I'll keep my fingers crossed the phones come into stock soon.

I like the fact that they are specifically marketed by the manufacturer for people like us.  It means they are working for solutions to our specific problem.  Maybe they could be persuaded to use the same technology for buds in addition to phones. 

I would contact the company.  Sometimes online stock is not accurate.  Also, they may be able to "find" a pair for you or to direct you to one of their authorized dealers that might have them in stock.  You could also ask them about buds.

I can't vouch for the company or their products, but I am encouraged by their interest in our problem.

keithmac

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 10:35:46 pm »
This might be of use:

I like the fact that they are specifically marketed by the manufacturer for people like us.  It means they are working for solutions to our specific problem.  Maybe they could be persuaded to use the same technology for buds in addition to phones. 

I would contact the company.  Sometimes online stock is not accurate.  Also, they may be able to "find" a pair for you or to direct you to one of their authorized dealers that might have them in stock.  You could also ask them about buds.

I can't vouch for the company or their products, but I am encouraged by their interest in our problem.

I've sent an enquiry - we'll see what the company has to say - thanks for the suggestion.

ANGuy

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 05:56:44 pm »
Don't thank me, I'm getting you to do all of the legwork for the likely event that I will need similar equipment when my AN ear packs it in ;D

keithmac

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 06:48:10 pm »
Don't thank me, I'm getting you to do all of the legwork for the likely event that I will need similar equipment when my AN ear packs it in ;D

I got a reply by return this morning.  A big school order emptied their inventory but more is expected next Monday.  I'll likely order some then.