Author Topic: Help!  (Read 3088 times)

Loreley

Help!
« on: March 26, 2016, 07:57:13 pm »

Hi everyone
I became SSD in September last year which the GP initially diagnosed as glue ear, ENT diagnosed SSD from virus after a clear MRI.
I am currently trialing CROS hearing aids, now at the 3 week mark and the longer I have them the more I hate them.
I understand that things are never going to be the same with my hearing but ......

My ENT is saying that coclear is not going to work with me but the audiologist is saying that there have been good results for it.
I am so confused, I know Australia is the backwaters in regards to medicine.
I guess i'm trying to work through and understand the difference between BAHA or the Coclear?

My left ear (the non functioning one), has a feeling of being blocked, and I have white noise which varies depending on stress levels.

I feel like i'm being a whinger, things could be so much worse, but I'm really struggling since glue ear became permanent and i'm not sure why.

Any input would be gratefully received.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 05:38:09 am »
Hi Loreley .....

I answered your BAHA/single bud hearing question on your other post.

Admittedly, I do not know much about glue ear.  I thought it was primarily associated with children and sometimes resolved, but I may be wrong about that.

If I understand it correctly, a cochlear implant is used when one has an intact cochlea but the middle and outer ear are not functioning.  I am not certain why your ENT said it would not work for you.

A BAHA is a bone-anchored hearing device that transmits sound from the non-hearing side to the other ear via bone conduction.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Loreley

Re: Help!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 05:01:27 pm »
Hi Clarice

Thank you yes so many new things to get my head around. 

The glue ear is predominantly a child issue of fluid in the middle ear but does happen to adults apparently.

I suspect my ENT must be referring to a different type of implant rather than the brand, will check with the audiologist when I see her next week.