Author Topic: Stanford experience  (Read 10001 times)

BevM

Stanford experience
« on: October 12, 2006, 07:50:55 am »
I thought I would pass on my pre-treatment experience at Stanford which was great.  I was fitted yesterday for the mask for Cyberknife.  Everyone I came in contact with was very professional yet personable, caring, and much attention to detail.  This might have been an exceptional experience but I choose to think its their norm.  I had no wait other than the normal wait between CT scan and MRI, they gave me information about what they were doing and kept checking in on how I was doing.  I now wait for a phone call to tell me what the schedule will be next week for treatment.

So far I am very impressed.

Bev

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Stanford experience
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 10:01:06 am »
Bev,
  Best of luck (and skill) next week with your treatment.  We'll be thinking about you and sending good thoughts.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

matti

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 04:19:43 pm »
Hi Bev - I am a "post-op AN grad" of Stanford ;D    I had surgery (middle fossa) with the Ear Institute at Stanford and my experience while there and in the hospital were great! I hear nothing but wonderful things about the cyberknife treatment center.

Take care and keep us posted!
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

BevM

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 07:52:29 am »
Thank you both for your words of support.  I will let you know how it goes.

Bev

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 07:17:25 pm »
We like to hear stories of good places!  Hope your treatment goes smooth! 

shoegirl

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 07:33:14 pm »
Good Luck Bev!!   :)
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

BevM

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 08:23:28 am »
So far so good.  I've had one treatment which went quite well.  40 minutes with no side effects.  I will have two more today and tomorrow and trust the experience will continue to go well.

Bev

BevM

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 06:58:24 am »
Happy to report I have completed my treatments and I am so pleased with the Team at Stanford.
Its now a wait to see if there will be any relief from symtoms.  I was told that they probably not improve but at least it will not grow.  I can manage the current symtoms but will be really really happy if they do improve over time.  I made the right choice for me as I didn't like the invasive, risky surgery idea.  Dr. Adler and his team are terrific.  As I left after final treatment Dr. Adler gave me a HUG and said "Go life your life"!  Hows that for a holistic approach!

Thanks for all your good thoughts and prayers; they really work!!

My best to all who are contemplating Cyberknife, I think its a good choice.

Bev

marystro

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 10:48:49 pm »
Hi Bev,

I am glad your treatment went well.  Wasn't it a breeze?

My 8-year old Alex thinks that Stanford CyberKnife is terrific.  The Stanford team is just out of this world.  Every time I send an email to Dr. Chang or Dr. Soltys, I get professional replies quickly (sometimes even the same day).  Dr. Chang even changed my first day's treatment earlier to accommodate Alex's bedtime schedule at my husband's request.  I can't ask for anyone better!

Dr. Adler was so down to earth.  We ran into him in the CK waiting room where he asked Alex what he was reading.  Alex told him it was a book about all the students turning into apples and Dr. Adler being a professor said it's a teacher's dream comes true!  His team even gave Alex a private tour of the CK facility, explained the robotic arm and the technologies and let him watch my treatment over the monitors for the last few minutes.  Later Alex said he saw the arm movement and laser on laser off displays.  It left him a very positive impression and encouragement that mommy is going to be alright!

Now, you need to rest well and as Dr. Adler said "go live your life"!  Believe me, I have been!!!

Mary
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

BevM

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 08:06:10 am »
Hi Mary:  I wish I had thought to get an e-mail address for Drs. Adler and Soltys; if you have them can you pass them on?   you could send them by private message.   I was watching the History channel Friday night and got in on the last part of a program where they were talking about Star Trek and Dr. Adler was talking.  I couldn't get it all but what I think the program was demonstrating is that some of the newer technologies including cyberknife where inspired by Star Trek!!!!   I would like to e-mail Dr. Adler to see if I can get more information about the program.!!!  I couldn't find it through the History channel website.

Thanks!!!

Bev

marystro

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 10:17:57 am »
Actually Alex said it's "Star Wars" when he saw the Cyberknife machine.  He said "Mommy I knew you would get that machine!!".  I think "Star Wars" is for the "younger" generation and "Star Trek" the "experienced" one.  ;)

Yes, I will send you their emails.

Mary
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm