Author Topic: Moving on  (Read 11654 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Moving on
« on: July 07, 2014, 09:34:58 am »
Just a note (to those who may have missed the Director's message) that I'm relinquishing my moderator position as of today and deeply appreciate all the kind words I've received regarding my 6 year stint as a forum moderator (8 as a member). 

I've enjoyed the opportunity to help and inform newly-diagnosed AN patients over the years and will miss visiting this website every day, as I have since 2006, when I was first diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma.  I was one of the fortunate patients who, although my AN was large - 4.5 cm - experienced both surgery and radiation without any serious complications. My goal was to be a reminder to newly-diagnosed AN patients that the diagnosis isn't necessarily tragic and that there is, as we say, 'life after an AN'. 

Now, feeling great (although remaining SSD) I have decided to pursue other interests.  I was glad to be able to communicate and support other AN patients at various stages in their journey, thanks to the ANA and this website.

I appreciate my fellow moderators help over the years and the support and encouragement of our hard-working Director, Judy Vitucci, who gave me the opportunity to be of further help as a forum moderator. 

I know Clarice will do a splendid job as moderator as, for years, she has demonstrated her knowledge and interest in helping AN patients on the forums.  I wish her well and trust that she will enjoy the moderator position as much as I have.

Thanks again for the opportunity to serve.  It was a rewarding experience that I won't forget

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jsanders1379

Re: Moving on
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 10:38:58 am »
Thanks, Jim!
Jeanne
Dx 10-25-2012
5x6x4 mm
3-27-2013 MRI 9x6x6 mm
GK  5-7-13 Swedish Hospital, Denver

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 11:22:40 am »
Thanks, Jim, for all the dedication and energy you've shown as moderator during these past years. You've been a help to so many of us! I don't log on to this forum very often any more (my surgery was in January 2008),  but it proved to be a huge support while I was in my recovery period. I learned a lot from you and the other forum participants.

Thanks again for all that you've done!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Hokiegal

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 08:29:49 pm »
Thanks, Jim, and best wishes to you :)
3.0cm AN diagnosed 08/11, age 47
surgery 09/11, Dr. Patel (MUSC), 95% removed
SSD with tinnitus, right side facial paralysis, vision and balance issues
facial movement much improved, and still returning after 3yrs
"We are better than we think, and not quite what we want to be."  Nikki Giovanni

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 08:44:53 pm »
Jim, it was great to serve with you! I wish you luck and make sure you check in once in a while and say hi and let us know how you are doing! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

staypoz

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 08:21:13 am »
Jim, you were a terrific moderator, always offering wise counsel.  I hope you enjoy your new pursuits.

staypoz

mesafinn

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 02:29:17 pm »
Jim,

While I understand your decision, you will be missed.  Your counsel was wise, calming, and assuring.

You responded to me early in my diagnosis.  I have never forgotten your kindness and thank you for the peace and education you always extended.

I--and many here--are sincerely and truly grateful.

All the very best,

Patrick
Oct 2012:  Constant Pulsatile Tinnitus
Feb 28, 2013: Dx AN 1.4 cm X .9 mm
April 19, 2013:  GK at UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford

Some things in my life need to matter less, and other things in my life need to matter more.  So yes, I'm taking this as a "lesson learned experience."

cindyj

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 02:13:20 pm »
Hey, Jim!  It's been several months since I've checked in on the forum here...glad I finally did so I can also say my "thanks" to you for your years of service here.  You were among the first to welcome me here six years ago...was always a pleasure to read your many posts of encouragement and knowledge to so many in need!  I wish you the best in your future pursuits!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Brewers7

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 03:07:19 pm »
Thank you for your words of encouragement and wisdom.  Susan
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

MG

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 04:09:41 pm »
We will miss you Jim. Thanks so much!
Happy wishes for you!

MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

Helga

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 01:52:37 pm »
Let me add my thanks. Your's was one of the first ANA greetings I received after my dx. Thanks for your straightforward support and encouragement. Always unbiased and well informed. You will be missed. Best of luck in all your future endeavors.

Helga

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 08:36:01 am »
just popping in and want to say thanks for advise, insight  and support you have given since I first posted here...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 10:31:39 am »
Dear Jim,

Thanks for all you have done for all of us, but in particular for me......I shall miss you Jim! Keep up with being close to God, and  thank you for your insight into things Godly, from your perspective as a Pastor. Alas, all good things must come to an end. Keep up the good work and PM me at anytime.

Farewell, my friend!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

cathyroe

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 06:36:53 am »
Thank you so much for your care and support. You've made a huge difference in my life with your positive outlook and your success story. I know we will all miss you and keep you in our prayers when we count our blessings.
Cathy
11/02/12  Diagnosed with AN  11mm X 5mm
05/29/13  MRI reports no change, stable
11/20/13  MRI reports 13mm X 7mm X5mm
5/20/14 MRI reports 14mm x 8 mm x 6 mm
7/29/14 GK at UPMC Lunsford. Now a Postie Toastie
1/14/15 Six Month MRI growth. 16mm X 8 mm
11/09/15  16 mm X 9 mm
9/15/16   17 mm x 11 mm x 8

MLB57

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 08:39:32 am »
 :)Hi Jim,

Many thanks for the many hours/years ;D you put into Moderating.. I know that was a major commitment!  and I still remember fondly the ANA brunch that we sat next to each other and I met you and your lovely wife.. Hopefully we will have a brunch sometime this year..I do miss them!

Best always to you and yours!!

Mary (AKA Grammy).. ;D

1 cm rt AN (retrosigmoid Jan 2001 UMASSMed Ctr/Worc, MA)
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!