Author Topic: Disability Insurance  (Read 8367 times)

PHB

Disability Insurance
« on: April 30, 2014, 10:27:34 am »
Is anyone out there applying for or been approved for disability insurance?
I'm currently in the process of applying, after gamma knife surgery back on Dec 2012.
I have been getting mixed signals about the outcome.

Thanks,
Phil

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Disability Insurance
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 02:01:06 pm »
Hi, Phil ~

I never applied for Social Security Disability benefits but many AN patients have.  Most have been successful. 

As I understand it, the procedure is laborious and the system moves at a glacial pace.  The first application is usually rejected.  An attorney specializing in securing SS Disability benefit approval can be helpful.  They usually work on contingency and are generally worth their fee, which comes out of the benefit total you accumulate from the time of your initial application until the case is approved by the SS agency and can amount to thousands. 

I do know that you must prove that not only can you not work at your former occupation but that you cannot perform any type of work.  That can be a high bar.  However, I've also read that the SS commissioners are now more lenient about granting approvals due to a very high case load (supposedly a result of the poor economy). 

I'm sure those who have navigated the Social Security labyrinth will respond with more detailed information but this is a start.  Good luck!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 02:12:24 pm »
Is anyone out there applying for or been approved for disability insurance?
I'm currently in the process of applying, after gamma knife surgery back on Dec 2012.
I have been getting mixed signals about the outcome.

Thanks,
Phil

Are you referring to Social Security Disability, a private disability policy that you own, or short/long term disability benefits provided by an employer?

There could be big differences between them all.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 10:24:13 am »
Who are you getting mixed signals from?

james e

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 08:36:43 am »
If you followup your own post, you are in the right place. Jack is an insurance expert and I applied for SS disability and was approved. One or both of us can lend you a hand...that's why we are here.

James

PHB

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 09:54:34 am »
This is S.S Disability I'm applying for and I have a medical evaluation next on the 7th. I have been reading good and bad reports on outcomes from the evaluation process from various people who have applied. I will say I have read more that people with A.N's have been successful on their first attempt.

I had to leave work back on March 7, 2013 due to imbalance, not being able to understand people now that I'm deaf in one ear and the constant headaches and dizziness brought about by the tinnitus and imbalance.

My tumor was 22 x 17mm when I received the gamma Knife on 12/12 and with one follow up since on 6/13 it had shrunk by couple of mm. I guess what ever was left of the Vestubular nerve was compromised along with the tumor when I had the radio surgery. I knew there would be compromises, I just didn't count on the vertigo dizziness 24/7.   

james e

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 11:19:33 am »
I applied for SS disability without the help of an attorney. Since you have already submitted the paper work, most of the work is done. In my opinion, the written application is the MOST important part of  the application...YOU are totally, 100% responsible for how you represent yourself to SS. They never interview you. They only read what your wrote.

I had two doctor interviews. They form their own opinions of your condition. These doctors are under contract to do these evaluations. My surgeon was contacted for a report. These responses are out of your control. That is why YOUR written application is so important.

You have to understand what SS means by disabled...unable to do ANY job or, you are within 6 months of death (reader's digest version). If you have demonstrated that in your written application and your doctor evaluation  agrees, you will probably be approved. I went back to work as a self employed person but it was too dangerous for me to work by myself. I took months of rehab trying to correct my balance...I really wanted to continue working...but I still have balance issues 4 years after my surgery. I was 60 years old when I was approved and my age was probably a benefit.

The income is based on the standard SS tables. In my case, it did not come even close to what I was earning, and I could not live on that disability income. Fortunately I was close to retirement and had done all of the correct things to retire, so it worked okay for me. On your second anniversary you are enrolled in medicare and that is deducted from your disability. You also pay taxes on the SS income but not social security, leaving you very little in your check book.

If you get denied approval, it is almost impossible to get approved on the second time around. It would be best to get an attorney if you are not approved. The application takes abut 6 months to go through the system. Hope this answered some of your questions. Ask, if you have more questions.

James

mayfly

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 02:07:34 pm »
I applied for SS Disability and was denied, appealed the decision, which was denied, and then I hired an attorney. It took a year and a half from the date I first applied until I had a hearing - and then the judge ordered a second hearing, which was 6 months later. The judge considered the testimony of 3 neurologists, 2 psychiatrists (I guess they were making sure I didn't have mental health issues), an audiologist, and there were also 2 vocational experts who determined there were no jobs I could do in the area I live in, and I was awarded benefits.

Aside from your health issues, your age, education and the work you did over the last 15 years will be considered, as well as current work history and how much you paid into Social Security because of that work.

juliotamu

Re: Disability Insurance SSI or work related
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 10:25:21 am »
Hello

There is an important difference between work related disability vs SSI through the Social Security Admin. I was diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma after a blood vessel burst near the tumor in December 2004. I applied for disability knowing I had worked for about 15 years. Despite that I was denied work related disability due to a rule requiring when you file for work related disability, you need to have worked 5 years in the last 10 full time. I spent too much time going back to school and had three degrees and was about to get a Phd so I was a few months short of work credits and could only get SSI.

I applied for SSI in Feb 2005 and wasn't approved until July 2007. The SSA reviews people on disability every few years and was told they would stop the disability payments when I reach age 62, because SSI is need based, not work based, and I could apply for social security retirement then. It doesn't matter if I delay social security retirement until age 65, they will stop disability at age 62.

So SSI disability pays one half of what work related disability does and unless you haven't paid into the retirement system (like an undocumented worker) will canel disability at age 62.