Author Topic: Insurance Denied Follow Up MRI  (Read 6219 times)

sandyinwisconsin

Insurance Denied Follow Up MRI
« on: June 19, 2014, 10:21:30 pm »
I had my MRI and radiation treatments at UW Madison, WI and Dr. Howard from Madison
wants to see me in July after a follow up MRI in Madison. My insurance wants me
to have the MRI done in my home town instead of Madison.  They approved my appointment with
Dr. Howard, but denied the follow up MRI being done in Madison where I had my treatments.

What a joke.  What does Dr. Howard think?  He wants to compare the MRI I had in
Madison 6 months ago with one in July? 

Insurance is only going to get worse.

Sandy
1 cm AN deep in the boney canal.  Treated with 26 treatments of radiation in December, 2013.  Please pray with me that this worked.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Insurance Denied Follow Up MRI
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 01:51:22 pm »
I always get my MRI done in my hometown and they forward them to my doctor...no problem. You have bigger dogs to fight. Don't let this ruin your day.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 09:45:16 am »
It doesn't matter where you get the MRI done. Your doctor can work just as well off the CD from your home town as one from Madison.

Then continue getting them done locally and sending CDs to your doctor, just like James does.

I don't think you've ever posted the dimensions of your AN. What are they?
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 09:36:22 am »
Also, your insurance company did not deny your MRI. They may know that the cost of an MRI in your hometown is less expensive than it is in Madison. Insurance companies are business to make a profit, and if they can keep their cost down, they can charge lower fees and make more money. Jack seems to be our insurance expert and I'm he is qualified to answer why your provided wants you to have an MRI in a particular clinic.

tinabean925

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 09:52:26 am »
I have the same exact problem. I went for a second opinion at Massachusetts General Hospital - approved by my son's insurance. They will not allow us to go back for regular MRI or anything. I am only praying that when it comes time for surgery they will approve it. They claim that the local Albany Medical Center hospital is equipped (and in network) to deal with this. After talking with them and their opinion that my son should have LINAC radiosurgery, I do not want them to touch him. They are a great hospital for other conditions- not well enough informed or practiced in NF2. I'm terrified for my son!