Author Topic: Will a law school accept me?  (Read 5963 times)

patrickdoyle

Will a law school accept me?
« on: April 05, 2014, 07:14:18 am »
After my AN surgery I have total facial paralysis.  The facial nerve is stretched, it did fire back during surgery, so right now I am optimistic because it is still early in the game.  Before I had plans.  Before I thought I was 9 feet tall and bulletproof.  I am planning on using my Post 9/11 GI Bill for law school.  I was just wondering from others perspective how this affected their careers?  Any similar cases?  Lawyers?    I can talk well and am in the process of getting my right eye worked on.  It will not close all the way.  Any recommendations? Anxious to hear.  Thanks. 
PD

Diagnosed: 4.5 right-sided AN 09NOV2013
Right-Sided Retrosigmoid Craniotomy 13JAN2014
Facial Nerve Damaged & Stretched
Total Facial Paralysis Right Side
12hr surgery
FU MRI on 14APR2014

elsie

Re: Will a law school accept me?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 05:28:01 pm »
I had total right sided paralysis after me surgery 25 years ago - there was no nerve monitoring then.  Dr. Wiet's nurse explained then that it was like a telephone cord (lord just realizing how long ago this was!) being stretched across a room and then going back to the normal size - it would never be as tight as it was, but it still worked.  That has been the case with me.  My face ranges from 50% return (forehead and neck) to about 65% return (primary facial areas).  People who have met me after my surgery and recovery (took a little over a year to get to this point) don't realize that I have a deficit, which annoys me because I REALLY see the difference, but I really need to get over that. 

This has most definitely NOT affected my career, even when I had the paralysis.  Don't let it hold you back and win.  I found that people respected me more for the strength to forge ahead - a trait that an attorney most definitely needs.  Get that law degree.

Regarding your eye, make sure that you take care of it.  My eye lid, even with tarrosophy, only closes a little over half way.  i keep it lubricated all day with ointment and have a very healthy cornea as a result.
Very large AN removed Aug., 1988 - pushed cerebellum aside, touching brain stem
Dr. Wiet in Hinsdale did 12 hour surgery, got it all
Total right-side facial paralysis for 6 months, 50 - 75% return
Extreme dry eye and tinnitus in both ears
Lost all hearing in AN ear
1/8/14  AN Regrowth confirmed

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 05:36:44 pm »
A law school cannot deny you admission based on physical disability. That is covered under the Americans with Disability Act.

However, regardless of your disabilities, temporary or not, I would advise you to think long and hard about law school.  At the minimum you should read some of the blogs out there such as http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot.com and watch for comments by Unemployed Northeasterner. As long as your costs are covered fully by your GI Bill benefits, you have little to lose other than studying for three years for a career that may not materialize the way you hope.

I run a statewide data system for everyone enrolled in public and private colleges. Part of what I do is track earnings after graduation and I continued to notice law school graduates earning below the poverty line even up to five years after graduation.

Law is a great option for those that can get into a top 20 school. For others, especially those that accumulate over $100,000 in student debt for law school alone, it is less great.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 06:01:02 pm »
Agree with Tod.

My friends daughter went to law school and got excellent high paying jobs with law firms over the last few years.

Trouble is, the PRESSURE on associates is so overwhelming that she wants to give up law and go into something else.

Unfortunately, she has over 100,000 in student loans plus other expenses that requires her to keep making 100,000 per year and she isn't likely to start some other career for half that.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

patrickdoyle

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 04:12:44 am »
Thank you everyone for all of the input.  I thought long and hard about law school and if I can get through with minimal or no debt, I will give it a shot (post 9/11 GI bill).  I still have to take the LSAT so that will weigh heavily if I go or not.  It is good to hear that this condition does not limit a career, if you don't let it......
PD

12hr surgery
FU MRI on 14APR2014

Tod

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 06:15:52 am »
I expected this to be your reply. Best of luck all the way the through!

When I went back to work, I had significant speech difficulties for the first-year, but that did not excuse me from having to speak in public meetings, or even giving keynote presentation or two. Most of your limits are, and always will be, self-imposed.

Best,

Tod

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

patrickdoyle

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 07:55:22 am »
Good call Tod.  I may take a public speaking class to shake the kinks out with my new way of speaking.  Take me out of my comfort zone.  Before this I had to speak in front of a ton of people being an Army captain, now I'm gun shy.  All in all I say that it always can be worse.  No matter what situation you find yourself in. 
PD

12hr surgery
FU MRI on 14APR2014

Tod

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 08:38:40 am »
I'm sure you will be fine. Just three days into my return to work I had to speak to a group of about 30 appointees to the governor's higher ed innovation commission, plus another 30-40 audience members, with a voice not much more than a hoarse whisper. No problem. In most situations, even if people don't know your story, they will simply accept your limitation on move on. As your voice heals, which we will be positive and assume it will, things will get easier. If it doesn't improve, there are some things that can be done.

I went through three vocal fold injections over a year. They helped noticeable for a week or two and then fell off. Just as I went in to consult about something a bit more permanent, my voice began show noticeable signs of improvement - that was at the one-year post-surgery mark. I still have some limitations in that I can't really sing more than a few notes in a row most days without coughing and I can't yell very well, especially outside.

If I had to call cadence, I couldn't without ongoing coughing fits. Most days there are no significant issues at four-years post.

-Tod

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

patrickdoyle

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 09:05:38 am »
Tod, good to hear.  All very positive.  This sound like a 1SG that I had that would cough constantly when calling cadence or chewing someone's behind.  Very funny.  He is a company legend.  His coughing was because of constant smoking and chewing tobacco use.  He was from the Ranger Regiment and was old as dirt but tough as nails.  He is an elementary ed. teacher now.  The coughing in cadence made me think of him.
PD

12hr surgery
FU MRI on 14APR2014

Tod

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 03:11:36 pm »
My 1SG was narcoleptic. Would fall asleep at the strangest times. Long time ago though.
-Tod

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

CatzEyes

• are we having fun yet?
    • Art for Art's Sake Gallery
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 07:40:42 pm »
As a newbie on the site, I'm not sure how possible or relevant this is to a person with facial nerve problems, but I was fascinated by the story of Daniel Floyd when I heard it on NPR recently. This article from the Chicago Sun-Times tells it pretty well (http://voices.suntimes.com/business-2/grid/teen-watching-denzel-washington-patenting-invention/) and I'm going to buy one of his (newly patented) devices for strengthening the facial muscles responsible for speech ... just in case...

best of luck in your career, and thank you for your service!
Laura
Middle Fossa surgery at Swedish, Seattle, Drs Delashaw and Bacchus, 5/5/14. Retained 98% hearing in surgical ear after 6 months recovery time.
diagnosed 3/15/14 :: 6mm x 4mm x 3mm AN in right ear.
mother diagnosed 3/2005 8mm; gamma knife 2007 at 14mm. some regrowth, pressing balance nerve, by 2012

RubesBYU

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 09:14:43 am »
Hey all,

Recent law school grad here from California.  I have was diagnosed with a facial nerve schannoma back in 2008 right before entering into law school.  I have been in watch and wait ever since.  So far so good but it has def. grown.  I have a follow up appt. next week and it has bee about 3yrs since I saw the doctor (law school and the Bar keep you kind of busy... ;)

But I agree - get into the best law school you can.  If you get into a top 20 AND THEN PLACE IN THE TOP 20% of your class you will get one of the big firm jobs that pays around $160K/year starting (but say by to your personal life).  The opposite is a smaller firm with more work life balance and get paid less. 

The job market is tough right now and employers are taking advantage of it.  Range of small-mid size firms for entry level associates is between $60,000-$80,000.  Which leads you to think...why would one go to law school for a $60,000 job?  I agree.   But things are on the up and up and the ceiling potential is limitless. 

I like you wonder what my career will be like if/when I need to have this thing removed as I will most def. have facial paralysis (as my type of tumor is on the facial nerve - like gum in hair - will need to be taken out and a new nerve grafted in).  So I guess I will see - nothing yet - I just hope I can go as long as I can without taking this out.

If you have general law school questions plz feel free to reach out to me.

Thank you for your service!!

drubalcava@gmail.com
Facial Nerve Schwannoma
Been 7 years of watch and wait
Still going strong!  :)
33 years old.