Author Topic: Surgery Finally Over (11/12/13) at House  (Read 3916 times)

redshieldrob

Surgery Finally Over (11/12/13) at House
« on: November 20, 2013, 12:22:07 pm »
Good Afternoon Everyone.  I just wanted to update everyone that I decided to come to House for my surgery from Baltimore Maryland and I couldn't be more happy.  I believe this was the right decision for me.  My tumor was diagnosed on July 29, 2013 to be a 3.2 cm AN on my right side the approximately size of a perfect golf ball sized sphere.  Scary.  I had already lost my hearing on that side of my head and was experience facial and mouth numbness on that same side.  So then begin the hard part of deciding who would do the surgery.  I went to Hopkins to Tmargo for my initial consultation.  It was a miserable meeting.  I found his bedside manner to be one that required a taste I just couldn't produce.  I walked out of Hopkins and said to my wife there is just no way I feel comfortable with this Dr.  I hear great things about him.....but I believe you need to feel comfortable with your Dr.  I then scheduled an appointment with Univ of Maryland Medical Center with Dr. Eisenburg.  What a night and day difference.   Very nice...friendly...understanding.  I felt much better about my situation and the hopelessness I was feeling was virtually gone in one meeting.  My only hesitation centered around finding Drs that see this type of problem more regularly than both of these establishments on the east coast.  The research shows, obviously, the more experience a team of drs has the more likely your outcome with be a more favorable one.  So I left University of Maryland and decided I'm going to California to House.  So I schedule my surgery with Slattery and Schwartz.  My tumor was cystic and had grown an additional .5 cm as of surgery on 11/12.  The tumor has been completely removed and my facial nerve is in tact....my facial numbness is gone and I'm only left with some taste issues on my right side of my tongue....but it feels like it is getting better.  I left the hospital on Friday morning...only 3 1/4 days in the hospital.  Unbelievable.  I'm so so blessed.  I hope this posting will help others in making this most monumental decision.  God Bless.  Robert
4 cm AN diagnosed 7/26/2013.  Trans Lab surgery 11/12/13 at HEI.  Slattery/Schwartz Surgical Team.

clere

Re: Surgery Finally Over (11/12/13) at House
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 09:10:13 pm »
I am so glad you took the time to write about your positive outcome!! I know it is reality but so much of what I have read has been related to negative post-op problems.  After a number of months I just yesterday scheduled my AN surgery for January with Slattery/Schwartz at HEI.  I am scared to death but know I need to move forward with this.  THANKS AGAIN and I hope you continue to have a great recovery. 

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 10:06:12 pm »

So nice to hear about your great experience! I am traveling from Idaho to House for surgery in 3wks.
Thanks for posting.

v357139

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 06:34:29 pm »
I am so glad you took the time to write about your positive outcome!! I know it is reality but so much of what I have read has been related to negative post-op problems.  After a number of months I just yesterday scheduled my AN surgery for January with Slattery/Schwartz at HEI.  I am scared to death but know I need to move forward with this.  THANKS AGAIN and I hope you continue to have a great recovery.

Hi Robert. It's me Rich.  Seeing how well you did the day before my surgery was so helpful.  Then thanks so much for visiting me in the hospital before you left.  That was very helpful when I was having a couple of rough days.  Just like you said, that is now all past, and I am doing really well.  Walking alot, doing the balance excercises, and just had a big pastrami sandwich at Langer's.  Feeling great.

It was great to meet you and your lovely wife.  And thank you again, you are a good man.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!