Author Topic: Johns Hopkins, Thomas Jefferson (Philadelphia), UPenn - Need doctors  (Read 8752 times)

v357139

Can someone help me with who are the acoustic neuroma surgeons at the above hospitals, or any in this general geographic area?  Excluding NYC and Mass Genl, which I have already seen.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

kmr1969

Re: Johns Hopkins, Thomas Jefferson (Philadelphia), UPenn - Need doctors
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 10:53:23 am »
I met with Jon David Weingart, neurosurgeon, and Howard Wayne Francis, neurologist?, when I went to Johns Hopkins.

This was my first appointment after my initial AN diagnosis by my ENT doctor.

Both seemed to be capable and experienced doctors.

Subsequently, I met with doctors at Univ of Pittsburgh, University of Virginia, and University of Maryland, but I ultimately went with Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz at House.

Ken
2.7 cm AN diagnosed June 2012
Translab completed November 2012 at House Clinic
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

kmr1969

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 07:35:43 pm »
The other name I've heard mentioned several times at Hopkins is Tamargko.  He may have the most AN experience there.
SSD; numbness on face and in mouth, plus poor taste buds, but happy with how I am doing so far

v357139

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 01:21:20 pm »
I met with Jon David Weingart, neurosurgeon, and Howard Wayne Francis, neurologist?, when I went to Johns Hopkins.

Subsequently, I met with doctors at Univ of Pittsburgh, University of Virginia, and University of Maryland, but I ultimately went with Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz at House.

Ken
Thanks.  When you went to Hopkins, did Weingart propose retrosig or translab?
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

v357139

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 05:06:31 pm »

This was my first appointment after my initial AN diagnosis by my ENT doctor.

Both seemed to be capable and experienced doctors.

Ken

Why did you choose House over Hopkins?

kmr1969

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 08:49:33 pm »
I think every surgeon I met with recommended translab due to the size of my tumor, although my hearing had barely been affected.

I choose House over Hopkins because of the experience. 

The Hopkins docs may do 1 or 2 AN surgeries each month while the House docs were doing 1 or 2 per week.

Had my insurance not covered House then I would have gone to Hopkins and feel like I still would have gotten excellent care, but I had more confidence in Dr. Brackmann at House for one reason - experience.

Alan Goldberg

• Caregiver since September 2009.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 06:42:57 pm »
When looking for a doctor, find one that has experience with the type of tumor you have - size and location.  Experience is often the most critical factor in choosing a doctor - you want to see someone who regularly performs the procedure you require.  While you want a couple of opinions getting too many opinions sometimes makes it more confusing.  find a doctor you "click" with, has good experience and good references.  There are a number of good teams at many of the hospitals you mentioned.  If you can find a team near our support system - great!  If not, find the team and hospital you like the best and go for it!

Think it thorough but don't drive yourself crazy :)

v357139

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 11:59:10 am »
Thanks.  Is there a particular doctor at those hospitals who alot of people have used, and gotten good results?  Looking for some doctor names.

Anne S B

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 10:58:41 am »
I am a patient of Dr. Howard Francis at Johns Hopkins.  Because I was a candidate for Cyber Knife surgery,  before treatment I also met with Dr, Kristin Redmond, who is a radiologist.  My treatment Program was chosen with the help of Dr. Howard, a neurologist, and Dr. Redmond.  I am now four months out from my three day treatment (about an hour each day).  I can't say enough about the Hopkins team.  Everyone was so helpful and kind.  While not a nice thing to undergo, they made my experience as pleasant as it could be.  Also, if you didn't already know,  Johns Hopkins was recently rated #1 in the nation in both ENT and Neurology.  Good luck.

coinman

• A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 06:51:01 pm »
At Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia, I spoke to Dr. James J. Evans ,Neurosurgery. He wll take time with you and answer all questions. I did FRS through him but when I was considering surgery he would be the one I would have picked.
2.1 cm left side
hearing loss , tinnitus, some balance issues
FSR 26 treatments  ending 12/05/13.

v357139

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 05:37:35 pm »
Thanks very much.  Ended up going to House.  Very good result.