Author Topic: ANA Dues Up From Last Year.  (Read 22219 times)

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
ANA Dues Up From Last Year.
« on: July 08, 2013, 07:19:02 pm »
$45 this year.

$40 last year.

A little annoying.

I just hope it isn't a trend.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

prisca

Re: ANA Dues Up From Last Year.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 09:43:55 am »
I know no one likes to see prices increase, but the amount of info here is well worth $45 a year. 

robinb

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 11:12:34 am »
I have to agree with Prisca.

This is a small amount to pay for the wealth of information and networking.
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 11:20:06 am »
Just wanted to add that this forum would not exist, if it were not for the wonderful work of the Acoustic Neuroma Association, which takes money to operate ..... to say nothing of the cost of maintaining an excellent and up-to-date web site!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Echo

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 11:55:27 am »
$60.00 if you live in Canada, and that was prior to the increase.  When I renewed in the spring I was told rates would be going up.

I compare it to buying snow tires or putting a new roof on the house - it's just something you gotta do!  I greatly appreciate that folks from other countries have access to such a great site and I honestly believe it's worth every dollar! 

Cathie. 
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 01:56:21 pm »
May I interject something here?

If it were not for the wealth of understanding that we all get from just the camarderie of discussing things. we all would be out there on our own stressing about this particular treatment or that. This site has saved me immeasurable amounts of time ( time I lost  researching for 6 months on the first go round in 2004) and has saved my family( in 2012) from being pulled apart by my individual stress so I, for one don't see why a $5.00 increase is so incredibly hard to bear? The value has proven itself to be there time and time again!!

This proves that as a group we stand strong together waving a mighty AN Flag then apart, alone and isolated waving our arms to get attention from Big Medical Complexes and being overwhelmed (and drowning) at how much information at how much information there is to process.

Keep on going ANA you have fans galore!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 02:03:02 pm »
$45 this year.

$40 last year.

A little annoying.

I just hope it isn't a trend.

Jack ~

No one likes to see prices rise but I don't recall the ANA dues being raised for a few years.  However, costs inevitably rise, necessitating a small increase.  ANA membership is voluntary but put in perspective, $45. per year is just under 87ยข per week for the information available, including the Discussion Forums.  I find that a reasonable cost and, unlike gas prices, not annoying at all.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

arizonajack

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 11:07:33 am »
All those responses would be OK if it were just ANA that had an increase. But everywhere I turn, costs are going up and every increase is "justified" by the people making the increase and accepted by people who don't think an $X increase is a lot of money for a "worthy" cause.

Well, it's a 12.5% increase, folks. How would you feel if all the "important" things in your lives cost 12.5% more than it did last year? Are any of you making 12.5% more money than you made last year? I'm not.

Even ANA is subject to the basic laws of economics. When prices go up, demand comes down.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm

Jim Scott

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 01:57:36 pm »
All those responses would be OK if it were just ANA that had an increase. But everywhere I turn, costs are going up and every increase is "justified" by the people making the increase and accepted by people who don't think an $X increase is a lot of money for a "worthy" cause.

Well, it's a 12.5% increase, folks. How would you feel if all the "important" things in your lives cost 12.5% more than it did last year? Are any of you making 12.5% more money than you made last year? I'm not.

Even ANA is subject to the basic laws of economics. When prices go up, demand comes down.

Jack ~

Your frustration with the constantly rising cost of living is understandable and shared by most everyone, including me. 

However, I don't view ANA membership as comparable to a retail business and subject to the economic principles of supply and demand.  ANA membership is, by it's nature, relatively exclusive and clearly focused on the issue of acoustic neuroma and nothing else.  There is no reason to join the ANA if you or someone close to you doesn't have or had an acoustic neuroma. 

The ANA was founded by an AN patient (Virginia Fickel Ehr) 32 years ago, now has approximately 5,000 members and is administered by mostly volunteers, including M.D. advisers, a board of directors and a small staff located in an Atlanta, Georgia suburb.  The ANA website that hosts these eminently valuable discussion forums costs the ANA money to maintain but even the moderators are volunteers and we're all dues-paying ANA members.

Simply multiplying the annual dues by the membership numbers gives you a good idea of what the ANA budget is, aside from gifts and donations they receive every year.  I don't find it at all extravagant considering what the organization offers it's members and I do not believe the dues increase is excessive, but that is simply my opinion.     

Granted, prices rise in many areas; my wife complains about food prices, I complain about gas prices and we all complain about rising taxes.  Ultimately, it comes down to setting priorities and making choices as to how and where we spend our money.  I would assume that folks who have a computer and internet access can afford the $45. ANA dues but if that $45. per year is a financial burden and anyone feels the money is better spent elsewhere, ANA membership remains voluntary. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

alabamajane

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 06:11:59 pm »
Amen Jim, as usual he has a balanced , informative reply,, it's quite obvious why he is moderator ,, and a very astute one at that,,
As to the thread, the dues/ membership is totally voluntary. comparing the dues increase of this organization to food, gas, utilities is like apples to oranges ,,,, you need a certain amount of those items,, ANA memb. is something we all CHOOSE to pay for after diagnosis due to the invaluable info and support we receive,, you don't have to pay it,, totally your decision .
As for me, I did not even realize there was an increase as I have included additional monies for a donation every year,,, I have received FAR more info and support than what I have CHOSEN to contribute. Great website, forum, support groups and organization for my money!
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 10:14:39 am »
Dear Jim and Alabamajane,

Quite well stated and to the point!

The people who maintain this informative site are to be commended, it is not an easy thing...It is a site bristling with information and opinions. Like Jane, I give what I can (over and above the basic membership). Whenever I can I endorse all the good information among doctors groups and encourage them to get the word out about the information available.

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

terisandler

• Radical Mystic
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 04:44:22 pm »
Jack, if you are currently utilizing Facebook, there are three separate groups populated with people who either have joined the "club" or are supporting somebody in the "club".  Another option for support whether or not you choose to renew your ANA membership. 
3/25/13- dx 18x11x14 mm AN, hearing loss in right ear x 5+ years, 5 sessions of CK completed May 2013, now a "post toastie".  Follow up MRI 4/14/14 - 15x19x11 mm. Stable with some signs of necrosis.
 Yippee!

arizonajack

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 09:30:49 am »
So yesterday I got a letter from Sam's Club that my membership renewal was hiked to $45 from $40.

Must be an epidemic.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm

Jim Scott

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 01:46:38 pm »
So yesterday I got a letter from Sam's Club that my membership renewal was hiked to $45 from $40.

Must be an epidemic.
Jack ~

Its because the cost of doing business is rising for all organizations, be they non-profits or retail businesses.  It isn't simply inflation, which is currently only 1.75% annually.  The increased costs of local, state and federal regulations as well as increased taxes on businesses from revenue-parched states coupled with the projected costs of Obamacare to businesses tends to make business owners and investors wary and many are increasing their prices to offset these real and projected increases.  That has a 'ripple effect' on organizations such as the ANA who have to pay more for everything from electricity, printing, use of an internet firm to run the website and various other expenses that are necessary for it to function.  The same goes for retail businesses such as Sam's Club (WalMart). 

This is why prices are incrementally rising across the economic spectrum.  Granted, these small increases cumulatively become burdensome to those of us with ordinary incomes.  I wish I could pay the same price I did for things just ten years ago, when a gallon of gas was less than $2.00, but the reality is that few costs remain static, much less, drop.   It may be frustrating to see prices rise and have to start making priorities on what is worth the new price and what isn't but that has always been the case.  We just tend to forget that we paid much less for many things years ago because we absorbed the higher prices and/or our incomes increased to keep pace with rising costs.  Those now living on 'fixed incomes' don't have that option and so, incremental increases in prices are far more noticeable - and onerous.  They require careful budgeting and often, the loss of some goods or services once enjoyed.  That is never a satisfactory choice but one that many will have to make as our economy continues to contract. 

Jim

arizonajack

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 04:43:06 pm »
Please, gang, don't take me seriously.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm