Author Topic: Recommendations in NC?  (Read 2323 times)

nclabtech

Recommendations in NC?
« on: May 13, 2013, 06:49:09 am »
Hi, I just found out that I have AN in my right ear. I have hearing loss, but still have hearing in that ear. I was not given the dimensions of my AN, but I did look at it on the MRI. My ENT referred me to Eric Oliver at Wake Forest/ Baptist Hospital in Winston -Salem, NC and my consultation is June 4th. I live in Greensboro, NC; am 41 years old and have a demanding job which requires travel. I would love to hear from forum members regarding recommendations in NC . I am scared about the possibility of SSD, facial paralysis and being out of work for months . Thank you all in advance for your input.
Right 8 mm AN diagnosed 5/7/13. Some hearing loss, facial numbness, tinnitus.
Retrosigmoid surgery scheduled for 7/26/13. Dr Fukushima Duke Raleigh, NC
Retrosigmoid surgery 7/26 right 1.2cm AN, retained useful hearing, no facial deficits, constant tinnitus.

mesafinn

Re: Recommendations in NC?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 07:43:33 am »
Hi,

I'm very sorry to read about your diagnosis as it's a frightening moment to hear one has an AN.  You will find a lot of support here.  Keep reading and learning----if you do, you will come to know more than most and become educated to make an informed decision.   Learn about many forms of treatment and possibilities.  It can be a bit overwhelming, but take your time...and remember, people are here to support and help as they can.

I did a consult in Virginia, about 3 hours by car from you, with
Daniel H. Coelho, MD, FACS
Otology/Neurotology
Department of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
MCV/Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Richmond, VA

There are a lot of good folks out there so explore all of your options!

P.
Oct 2012:  Constant Pulsatile Tinnitus
Feb 28, 2013: Dx AN 1.4 cm X .9 mm
April 19, 2013:  GK at UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford

Some things in my life need to matter less, and other things in my life need to matter more.  So yes, I'm taking this as a "lesson learned experience."

nclabtech

Re: Recommendations in NC?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 09:03:43 pm »
Thank you for the encouraging words
Right 8 mm AN diagnosed 5/7/13. Some hearing loss, facial numbness, tinnitus.
Retrosigmoid surgery scheduled for 7/26/13. Dr Fukushima Duke Raleigh, NC
Retrosigmoid surgery 7/26 right 1.2cm AN, retained useful hearing, no facial deficits, constant tinnitus.