Author Topic: How long do MRI with IAC with Contrast take?  (Read 31273 times)

ellen124

How long do MRI with IAC with Contrast take?
« on: April 29, 2013, 03:38:47 pm »
Hello Everyone,  First off I want to thank you all for your kind words over the past few days.  My husband finally had his MRI with contrast done this afternoon.  I am just so relieved---no matter what I will know what is happening.  Anyway, how long does that test take.  He was in the scan room for over an hour????   I thought the radiologist was very kind coming out to me and telling me the doctor would notify me in 24 hours the results.  ( I didn't even ask--- I was planning on it but he beat me too it).  Of course I am trying not to read into him coming out to tell me that.

Just wanted to know if the MRI does take that long?  I guess I sort of figure you'd either see it on the screen or you don't.

Again thanks for all your support. I will let you know the results once I know.  My husband is very blessed to have a support group like this for his wife to reach out to ......otherwise I think  I would have driven him batty!!!!!!!  Ellen

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: How long do MRI with IAC with Contrast take?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 08:57:35 am »
Ellen ~

'Raw' MRI scans are available almost immediately but the usual protocol is for a radiologist to 'read' them and write a report.  Although, to a trained eye i.e. a physician, an acoustic neuroma would be noticeable on the MRI scan results unless it were extremely tiny (a possibility).  The radiologist's report should be definitive (one way or the other) and that is what the doctor is awaiting. 

Some neurosurgeons (mine, for instance) received a copy of the MRI scans almost immediately and due to his expertise, was able to read them and make an immediate diagnosis.  Of course, my AN was large and fairly unmistakable to a trained eye. 

In any case, you'll have an answer by this time tomorrow.  We're here for you and are almost as anxious as you (and your husband) are to learn the results. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LakeErie

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 11:01:42 am »
Regarding the time the brain scan itself takes: it is usually 45 to 50 minutes. The scan is of the entire brain not just the IAC's. The contrast is administered IV for the latter part of the scan when the IAC's are checked.
There is no meaning attached to the time the scan requires. It takes the same time if there is an AN or not. There is some additional time added to remove the IV and get the patient sitting and standing safely, precautions. An hour is not unusual. Good luck
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 11:22:40 am »
My MRI was done at Scott & White Medical Center in central Texas.  My doctor ordered the MRI, and I had the MRI the next day at 9am and my doctor called me about 4 hours later with the results. S&W is one of those centers that everything run like clock work, and every time I get treated there, the results are always immediate. My doctor scheduled my first appointment with a surgeon for the next day.

James

steve399

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 12:07:50 pm »
mine went as follows:

15 mins w/o contrast, injection, then another 5-7 mins with contrast.  I was in an open MRI wearing
a device that looked like a hockey mask.  I was offered valium but declined.  I was given a CD when I
left and had the report the following day.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:32:19 pm by steve399 »

wilderem

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 10:20:37 am »
Just finished my 7th MRI.  MRIs 1-6 (all at the same facility) took 1 hour & 15 minutes each.  MRI #7 (at a different facility) took 2 full hours!!  Don't want to do that again!