Author Topic: Skiing  (Read 6801 times)

Big Steve

Skiing
« on: March 26, 2013, 09:04:55 pm »
I skied both days last weekend, 9-1/2 weeks after translab surgery.  My first run was whacky!  But it got less weird with each run.  Seems to be great therapy to adapt to living with one-side vestibular.  I managed to ski down a couple of black runs by the end of the day.  Big improvement from when I was experiencing vertigo pre-surgery.   ;D   FTR, visibility was 10 out of 10, and I have lots of skiing muscle memory from averaging 60 days of skiing per year the past decade.

So far, every run with single-side vestibular is a buzz run.  >:D

I have a long ways to get back anywhere near my level of skiing a year ago, and I'll learn to be happy with whatever level I can ski.  It's so great to be back on the boards! 

Anybody else out there skiing? 

Sudden SSD (right side) 11/08 (erroneously diagnosed as caused by virus)
Chronic vertigo commenced 10/12
Intracochlear neuroma diagnosed via MRI 12/2012
Neuroma and right side cochlea/vestibular mechanism removed 01/15/13 via translabrynthine approach

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Skiing
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 09:36:20 pm »
Paraphrasing an old joke.

"Doctor, will I be able to ski after my surgery?"

"Of course you will."

"That's wonderful, I've never been able to ski before."

The old joke has to do with playing the violin.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Jill Marie

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 12:21:07 am »
I couldn't ski before my surgery but could after wards!

I was to afraid to try before surgery!

but decided to take some risks after surgery!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 12:46:12 pm by Jill Marie »
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 08:04:37 am »

My first run was whacky!  But it got less weird with each run.  Seems to be great therapy to adapt to living with one-side vestibular.  I have a long ways to get back anywhere near my level of skiing a year ago, and I'll learn to be happy with whatever level I can ski.  It's so great to be back on the boards! 

Amen!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

DHJ

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 06:32:26 pm »
       I enjoyed 4 days of skiing this winter,one year after my trans lab surgery.It took a long time for me to get back on my feet and it sure was nice to be back on the slopes.  peace Dave J.
3yr wait and watch on left sided 2.9cm AN is over surgery 11/4/2011 Mckenna/Barker at MGH one year MRI 11/12/2012 all clear

Big Steve

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 09:15:26 am »
Did a 1500' afterwork skin lap with my sweetheart and two ski touring buds.  Two very mellow tours last weekend.  I got the wooziest on the ascent, especially when traversing across a steep slope.  Every downhill run feels like a buzz run  >:D  although my buds tell me that my skiing form looks good.  If I didn't need to work, I'd be skiing everyday. 

Yeah, Dave J!

Jill Marie, you're in the Seattle area?  If so, lemme know if you want to meet up for some spring turns on a sunny weekend.
Neuroma and right side cochlea/vestibular mechanism removed 01/15/13 via translabrynthine approach

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 08:44:57 pm »
Congrats! I just finally got back on the slopes after a 10 year hiatus. The first 4 years there was no way  would have trusted my head, after that it was all about surfing (no pain when you wipeout in the water.. ;D ).
Had a blast....took it easy, just cruising, no speed runs or bumps but it was fun. My wife is very excited. We used to ski often and her time on the slopes dropped as well (not to zero but close) so she's pretty happy we'll get out more next year.
First time on shaped skis.... :) :D ;D
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Jill Marie

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 11:25:59 pm »
Hi Steve, 

I live on the other side of the mountain, so most of our skiing is done in Idaho.  The new manager at work thinks working 6 days a week is better then 5 so getting over to Seattle to ski isn't going to happen, thanks for the invite.  Hope the weather and your ski trips are great!  Jill Marie 8)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Big Steve

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 05:14:22 pm »
Jill Marie, I dig Loup Loup and 49 Degrees N.  We're looking at retirement land E of the crest.

stoneaxe, sounds like you've having a good time back on the stix.

Lift skied today and yesterday.  Wet pow, difficult in spots. If viz is good and/or have trees for a visual reference I skied fine, but I had to follow a friend when viz was poor.  It's all good for 12 weeks after surgery.

wiscyrunner

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 12:38:14 pm »
Hey Big Steve,   keep posting these uplifting accounts of your post surgery athletic endeavors, they do a world of good. 
I haven't experienced post op skiing but  have to say the 2 days I spent in the UP over spring break did me a world of good.  Late in the afternoon while riding on the chairlift looking over  Lake Superior & soaking up the 40+ degree sunshine,  it dawned on me I had not thought about my AN once that day.  When you do something like skiing it's all about the moment & staying mentally focused. With running I tend to problem solve so I don't feel the same escape from reality that I did with skiing.
My surgery is 6 weeks from tomorrow & I hope to follow your lead & get out walking a.s.a.p.  & resume running when I get the go ahead.

Hopefully next winter I'll be back on the slopes.
Keep up the good work!       

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 09:23:12 pm »
Be careful in snow or fog. Visibility is everything to me for SUP. I paddled a couple miles out to a break in clear skies, surfed for two hours, as we were leaving a heavy fog settled in. I ended up having to paddle on my knees to get in. I couldn't stand at all.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Big Steve

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 12:02:32 pm »
My surgery is 6 weeks from tomorrow & I hope to follow your lead & get out walking a.s.a.p.  & resume running when I get the go ahead.

Hopefully next winter I'll be back on the slopes.

Best o' luck, wiscyrunner!  Going into surgery in good shape is a good thing.

Be careful in snow or fog. Visibility is everything to me for SUP.
That's my experience so far, but, hey, it's only been 90 days since surgery.  I'm hoping my brain gets better interpreting single-side vestibular signals with time.  We skied the powder both days this weekend.  My buds say that my form looks as good as ever -- but it still feels weird at times.  Love these PNW April powder dumps!