Author Topic: Vestibular Therapy  (Read 3937 times)

sharone143

Vestibular Therapy
« on: April 22, 2013, 12:20:33 pm »
Hi, I'm one month post op and still very dizzy even though I am doing tons of exercises everyday.  Can anyone recommend a good vestibular therapist in the San Francisco area or any tips on exercises to combat dizziness?
Thanks very much, I appreciate it!

LakeErie

Re: Vestibular Therapy
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 01:08:49 pm »
While vestibular therapy can help, it is also important to remember that recovery takes time. Recovery can also require periodic rest. Trying to rush recovery does not seem to help. We can recover only as quickly as our bodies let us.
That said, I also believe that it is helpful to challenge our balance systems to compensate. I had wonkiness for 7 months post-op that gradually improved as I gradually increased wallking with head movements. I jogged some at 3 months with no loss of balance problem, but my head  did not feel right until the 7th month as the bobble headed feeling persisted until then.
One month is not a long time after an AN removal. A ton of exercises may be too much so soon. Your brain is retraining itself to adjust for the changes incurred from surgery. That is tiring in itself. Good luck
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 12:06:58 pm »
I'm with Lake Erie.

You're still early in your recovery.  Doing vestibular exercises is a great idea - and I personally found it worked wonders for me - but at 4 weeks post op you still have lots of time to see improvement. 

Don't get discouraged,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

spgreenfield

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 01:19:30 pm »
Not everyone is the same, but for me, caffeine is a HUGE contributor to "wonky" head!!!  You may want to see if it helps you as well to avoid it.....

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12