Author Topic: Balance Testing  (Read 5900 times)

mesafinn

Balance Testing
« on: April 03, 2013, 07:02:07 am »
I saw an ENT yesterday who encouraged me to have a balance test before I make further decisions about treatment.  I am leaning toward GK, and he said that a balance test was "more important" if I was considering surgery rather than GK.  But he still recommended it.

From the folks here, did you have a pre-treatment balance test and did it prove to be helpful? 

For those of you who had GK, did you feel you needed the balance test for any reason?  I would have to travel to have it, and while I'm not adverse to that, I wanted to see if most here had that as a standard protocol and thought it was needed.

If I proceed, what could I expect?

Thanks.
Oct 2012:  Constant Pulsatile Tinnitus
Feb 28, 2013: Dx AN 1.4 cm X .9 mm
April 19, 2013:  GK at UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford

Some things in my life need to matter less, and other things in my life need to matter more.  So yes, I'm taking this as a "lesson learned experience."

mk

Re: Balance Testing
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 10:48:17 am »
Hi,

the same ENT that you saw recommended to me to have the balance (VNG) test. His reasoning is that it would give an indication about whether I would have balance problems post-treatment. If the balance nerve is already compromised, then it is most likely that balance will not be an issue post surgery, since the other side has already compensated. I suppose similar reasoning goes for radiation (i.e. if your nerve is still functioning, then you might end up with mixed signals to the brain, and more balance problems, so this might factor in your choice of treatment).
The test itself is quite long (at least two hours if I recall well). They make you wear some special goggles and you follow some lights. They pour warm and cold water in your ears and from this test they can tell how each side responds separately. It was interesting to find out that even though I had never experienced any balance problems I had 90% weakness on my AN side. For me this translated to no problems post op. If I knew that my nerve was still functioning, then I might have expected and planned more for vestibular problems.
I don't think this test is absolutely necessary, and it is not standard procedure - my understanding is that most people don't do it. You should be able to do it closer to home if you don't want to travel all the way to Toronto. I had it done locally.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 01:19:08 pm »
My AN was diagnosed April 2012. I was having balance issues since December 2011.

My ENT sent me to have a VNJ which was done in June 2012.

The people doing the test couldn't imagine why I was sent for the VNJ since I was already diagnosed with AN. All the VNJ did was confirm that I had balance issues. Duh.

I had GK January 2013 but even before then I guess my other side was already compensating because I was experiencing a slight improvement.

I still have balance issues but not as bad as last year.

I tend to agree with MK that the balance test isn't necessary. You already know you have balance issues. You'll probably still have them whether you choose surgery or GK and one way or the other it'll take some time to resolve.

Frankly, when my ENT sent me for the balance test I went because I didn't know any better. If I'd known then what I know now, I wouldn't have bothered.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 02:36:24 pm »
I had VNG testing before my CK procedure.  I know I had / have balance & dizziness problems so the test was a waste of time especially since no one ever told me what the results were!   >:(  All the doctor said was too bad you got so sick & couldn't finish the test we really needed to know how you reacted when we did the water test in your left ear. 

On a brighter note, I had CK done May 2012 & my dizziness & balance issues are much improved.   

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

robinb

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 05:56:25 pm »
I guess I dont feel like a need a test to tell me if I can walk straight; either I tip over or I dont. Hopefully never get stopped for suspicion of DUI!.
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

rupert

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 06:50:19 pm »
My doctors had me stand on one leg and close my eyes.   Could not do it.  End of test. ::)  That was it for me and no reason to go further.    By the way,  now three years later after GK and I can do this test easily.  Balance is definitely improving for me as time goes on.