Author Topic: Weird noises in my ssd ear  (Read 3033 times)

susierg

Weird noises in my ssd ear
« on: February 08, 2013, 05:33:04 pm »
I am 2 months post op from BAHA surgery.  I get my processor next month and am very excited.  A couple of things I wanted to ask about.  The side of my head is still sore after two months....that seems unusual to me.  My incision looks good.  No redness or swelling, just soreness to where its uncomfortable to lay on that side of my head.  Also,  when I'm laying down, I get intermitant buzzing noises in my deaf ear.  This only happens when I'm laying down.  Sometimes a loud noise in another room will cause a breif buzz, but the sounds I get laying down are kinda like an electrical shock kind of noise...hard to explain.  Was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything like this after BAHA surgery.
4mm AN diagnosed 8/2007.  Watch and wait for 5 years.  5/2012 grew to 7x4x4.
Mid Fossa 7/2012 at MD Anderson, Houston,Tx
SSD but still hoping it will return.

foundmytreasure

Re: Weird noises in my ssd ear
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 08:24:00 pm »
My BAHA surgery was Jan 25.  I get the processor March 12!  I had asked my Dr similar questions about buzzing and noises and he said in his discoveries that he uses the 9 not the 6 and that seems to help.  I can tell you I have the 9 screw and have no issues as you report.  I hope you find an answer!

spgreenfield

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 05:18:37 pm »
Buzzing noises are tinnitus unfortunately.  Nothing really to do with the BAHA surgery - just timing is all I think.  The deaf ear isn't sending sound to the brain so the brain makes up for it by creating its own sound sometimes.....and it's annoying.

As to the soreness of the head (skull I'm assuming?) we've all had forms of it - depending on the surgery - the weather - your pillow, etc., you'll "feel" the  surgical site from the AN for quite a while.....my surgery was over a year ago and it's still sore at times.  Don't confuse nerves coming back to life with soreness though....my acupuncturist told me that the first sensation from a nerve coming back is pain...and there are many spots on my skull that are still semi numb....even after a year.  And then you add the BAHA surgery on top of that and re-cut nerves....it's takes a while....

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

nann

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 08:25:41 pm »
Hi,
I had Mid fosa almost 2 years ago. I still get buzzing and that clicking like electric shock sound on an side.
 My head is also still numb and sore in places. Understand what your talking about. :)