Author Topic: tinnitus  (Read 8951 times)

Elizabeth Cuttler

Re: tinnitus
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 02:27:13 pm »
I already had an MRI, and everything looks good.
I have a meningioma, so my doctor checks me every other year.
I saw the ENT doctor, and he told me that the tinnitus won't go away, that I need to learn to live with it.
It's been difficult for me; I can't even sleep, the noise bothers me a lot.
is someone on the group taking any medication to help with the tinnitus?
Thanks for your replies.

Elizabeth

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 06:01:10 pm »
Hi Elizabeth! Sorry to hear you are suffering from tinnitus.  I know it can drive a person crazy.  There's no one thing a person can do to abate the noise.  There are a lot of suggestions though, maybe those would work. Try doing a search on the forum and see what pops up.  In my research though, the things that I have seen suggested comes to mind:
1. Change of diet
2. White noise generators
3. Anti-depressents

Bear in mind, none of these cure tinnitus, but some people have had relief from trying these things. Again, every person is unique. I am definitely not a doctor, and the doctors themselves mostly say that there's nothing one can do to stop it, so that's a pretty good indicator of how these things go.  But I think if you are suffering from it, any kind of relief may be what you are looking for.  Again, do some research here on the forum or out on the internet. I hope you do find something that'll work for you! Hang in there! Feel free to ask more questions if you need to!  Take care and good luck!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Mickey

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 09:44:29 am »
I would say I`ve had my tinnitus now for more than half my life (64) non stop, start around 30ish. I`ve been to many American Tinnitus Assoc. meetings before I found out about my AN 6 yrs. ago. All I can say is I`ve tried everything and getting a little relief with Neuromonics, but mostly just becoming used to it for all these years. For the most part its my new normal along with AN W+W. Feeling good, Best wishes, Mickey

Upstate

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 08:15:53 pm »
I was just reading some interesting info (I thought so anyway) on "staccato tinnitus".  One of my first AN symptoms was head noise that sounded like popcorn popping or a machine gun going off in my head.  Apparently it's caused by eighth cranial nerve dysfunction and is sometimes receptive to low dose carbamazepine(sp) medication. 

Upstate

jsanders1379

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 09:50:08 pm »
I have that "staccato " stuff sometimes, but right now it's very quiet-not like a machine gun loud...
Jeanne
Dx 10-25-2012
5x6x4 mm
3-27-2013 MRI 9x6x6 mm
GK  5-7-13 Swedish Hospital, Denver

Elizabeth Cuttler

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 09:17:59 pm »
I had an MRI two weeks ago, so I am pretty sure that I don't have an AN.
Now, besides the tinnitus, I see double when I walk fast, and it's vertical dyplopia, not horizontal.
My nose feels very heavy, and the ENT says that that the turbinates are very inflammed.
I fell and I think that I broke my nose, but I didn't see a doctor right away. I don't know if all of these symptoms are related.
The tinnitus seems to worsen every day.
I wish I could do something about the tinitus; the noises bother me a lot.
Thanks for being here.

Elizabeth

sidecar Kathy

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 10:22:24 pm »
For me I can tune out the Tinnitus most of the time.  I try to ignore it but sometimes it makes its presence pretty noticeable.  Its something I have to live with and nothing I can do about it.  I am sure it will chance after surgery but its something I have to deal with and will move on.  I don't like that I never have quiet but that's ok cause if that's the worse I get then its not a big deal.  Life goes on!!!