Author Topic: Dry Eye - right paralysis  (Read 11151 times)

pmcollings

Dry Eye - right paralysis
« on: December 12, 2012, 10:04:13 am »
Hi everyone,

Had my AN removed 6 weeks ago.  I do have right side paralysis but it seems to be improving.  My right eye is giving me problems.  Went to eye dr.  We are putting drops in every hour and putting lubricating ointment and taping at night.  He put me on antibiotics because it is very inflamed.  My oil glands aren't working due to the paralysis. 

My questions is has anyone had this problem and seen any eye improvement once their paralysis started to go away? 
I really don't want the gold weight or any other operation.  My doctors expect a full recovery on the paralysis.  I am going to Vestibular therapist for facial exercises.  I did not expect this eye to give me so many problems. 

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement !

Happy Holidays to all !

Pam
Diagnosed 5/2012 - 2.0cm
Translabsurgery  10/30/12. 
50 % hearing loss before op.  Total hearing loss after.  Partial facial paralysis
Surgeons - Dr Craig Kemper and Dr. James Kemper. Austin, texas

PamJ

Re: Dry Eye - right paralysis
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 03:22:13 pm »
Hi Pam I had my AN removed 20 months ago and had facial palsy and the same problem with my eye.  I ended up having to have my eye stitched down (tarsorrhaphy) for over a year but once my face started coming back to life again and I could blink I had my tarsorrhapy reversed.  I tried all the eye drops and taping down at night but my actual eye was so sore it was a relief to have the tarsorrhapy done.  But yes once my face started to improve so did my eye, I'm waiting to see an eye surgeon on Jan 10th as I have double vision.

Pam
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 06:56:02 pm »
The surgeries on your eye are very easy on you (compared to AN surgery!) and VERY easy to reverse as you improve.  Another option is a gold weigh that sticks to your eyelid instead of having it implanted.  The one that is implanted is SO MUCH EASIER but I can see how you might not want to go that route so I'd check out the Blink Ease (Eaze?)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

pmcollings

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 02:15:00 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I am hoping all this will improve with time.  Happy Holidays  !!!
Diagnosed 5/2012 - 2.0cm
50 % hearing loss before op.  Total hearing loss after.  Partial facial paralysis

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 01:12:07 pm »
Hi Pam: Every night I tape on the NitEye Dry Eye bandage (it's like a moisture chamber). The most important thing is to keep your eye moist to prevent a corneal ulcer. I use Refresh PM ointment around the clock until bedtime. The NitEye bandage is expensive, I buy it by the carton. Before finding these I use to cut Reynolds Wrap saran wrap in a square and tape it around my eye to make a moister chamber.
K gave you a great idea for the external weight, but like she said, the eye surgery for an internal weight is a breeze & can be removed when no longer needed.
always good thoughts, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

millie

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 07:47:58 pm »
Pam-I had translab 8 weeks ago.  I had facial palsy and the eye droop afterward.  My face is better- I'd say about 50%.   I was told to use Refresh Eye Drops and then the gel at night.  My vision seems different in the left eye too... things are a little blurry. I was also told to keep my hands really clean to avoid getting an eye infection-this was told to me by a friend, not the doctors. 
 I have worn glasses forever, and now, they are tri-focals--but it is really frustrating to try to read-I have to hold my left eye closed to do it.  Ironically, before the surgery, I used to read at night without eyeglasses-holding my right eye closed!
My point is, yes my face looks better, and the eye doctor says my eye looks pretty good  after AN surgery,  but the eye feels teary and itchy sometimes and the vision is not the same. I think getting tired makes it worse. I am hoping you  will be better soon.

pmcollings

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 05:31:37 pm »
Hi all,
Tthanks for the great info !  I went to Ocu-plasstic surgeon and was told I needed a procedure where they put a few sutures in the corner of my eye and then also a tiny gold weight.  I went yesterday and he said all this would be temporary until my paralysis goes AWAY !!  He was such a nice man and said he would do it next week and I was thrilled until I talked to their insurance gal.  She told me my insurance has to be pre-approved and that could take 4-6 weeks !  Just in time for my daughter's baby to born - lol.  Well you can't win for losing as the saying goes.  But, hopefully this will all work out.  This forum has just been great and I do greatly appreciate all the kind words and helpful information.  Best wishes to all for a Happy and better New Year !   I'll keep ya posted. 

Pam
Diagnosed 5/2012 - 2.0cm

millie

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 06:16:43 pm »
Hi-
I did not mean to sound like a complainer; having read my previous  post, I now know I did.  Sorry.
Meant to say my droop and palsy frpm my left sided AN are much better than the week after surgery, which will be three months Jan 17. 
Eye is still dry with a little eyelid lifelessness but I use plenty of eyedrops by day and the Refresh ointment at night. People only notice my face is more expressive on the right when I smile widely.  Plus my left eye still doesn't blink in time with my right.
I believe the eye improves as the facial nerves/muscles improve.  My docotr also said my face/eye would come back, and they are better than they were...so, keep the faith.
Best wishes to all AN'ers    Mil

mikechinnock

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 12:12:36 am »
I advise that you stick close to your ophthalmologist. I was using a lot of eye drops (Visine type) after my surgery, even after the Tarsorrhaphy. My Neurologist told me I was using too much and to stop. I did and the eye dried out and I no longer felt any pain in it. Well a dead eye is not good. I finally got to an ophthalmologist who told me to start using presevative free Refresh, drops by day, ointment at night. Well I saved the eye (avoided having a glass eye put in), but have lost all but contrast vision in the eye (It looks like a steamy bathroom looking through the frosted shower door).

Take good care of yourself.
In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

pmcollings

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 03:49:33 pm »
Mil,

Its ok to vent and you didn't sound like you are complaining.  This is a rough time for all of us and I am so grateful to have this forum to vent and to get info from.   Most of my family doesn't understand and won't ever so I appreciate all the input and compassion here. 

Pam
Diagnosed 5/2012 - 2.0cm

millie

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 07:32:20 pm »
Pam-
Did you try calling your insurance company directly?

Jill Marie

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 09:34:57 pm »
I'm with Millie, check with the Insurance co. it shouldn't take 4 weeks to get pre-approved for anything!  Keep asking tell you get the answer you need and deserve.  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

pmcollings

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 02:04:59 pm »
Yes I called the insurance directly.   She woman was very rude and said they cannot start the process until the doctor sends the information and that can take 2 weeks - lol.  So........I will call at the end of this week.  Yes , I agree, 4-6 weeks sounds like a bit too long, but with the holidays and all I do understand it can bog the system up. 

Pam J - I hope your surgery went well. 

Happy New Year - thank you all for your input - I am saying goodbye to 2012, it has been a rough year - don't let the door hit you on the way out - lol.  Let's all hope 2013 brings us health and happiness and hopefully patience for ME  to understand this recovery is slow and to appreciate the progress we ALL have made since our surgeries !!

Pam
Diagnosed 5/2012 - 2.0cm

Jill Marie

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 10:36:41 pm »
Did you by chance get the rude woman's name so when you call back you know if you are talking to her or hopefully someone else?   A lot of times it who you speak with not the paperwork procedure that makes the difference.  I understand that they can't do anything until the doctor sends the info, but it doesn't take 2 weeks for the doctor to do it.  We have Internet and fax now.  Yes, some things have slowed down a BIT because of the Holidays but there is no reason for it to take 4 to 6 weeks for a mere referral.  I sometimes think they say it will take that long just so you are happy when it doesn't actually take as long as they say it will.  Some medical issues actually get taken care of sooner during the Holidays as some people put things off then as they are to busy, leaving more time for others.  My husband works in the medical field and sees this every Christmas. 

Let us know how it's going! Jill

Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

millie

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 04:37:09 pm »
Call the insurance company again directly.  You will probably get someone else.  Explain the whole situation-be as pleasant as you can.  Maybe you should write it out on paper first so you stick to your points-they appreciate our being concise.  Tell them this involves a brain tumor.  Their ears usually perk up at that.
Get the directions and the person's (other end of the line) name.  Get her supervisor's name, just in case you have questions. Make sure they have your Doctor's numbers so they can call today.Please,  (Do not be above pleading but keep it short and positive.)  Call the doctor's office and tell the one who handles all this the info and the insurance company's names and phone numbers.  Tell them they will be calling today. Sometimes we have to help be intermediaries.  Or clarify things.
Hopefully that will set things in motion.  I agree with things may get hung up in a holiday, but my mom needed chemo in a few days time, and after some initial confusion and chaos, it was all resolved.
Best wishes.
Mil