Author Topic: Stitches Poking Through  (Read 12607 times)

chance1212

Stitches Poking Through
« on: December 10, 2012, 12:10:52 pm »
I had translab back on November 13th. At 3 weeks post-op, I started seeing/feeling something on my incision line. From what I've read, internal stitches can come out through an incision. I was just wondering if anyone on here has had this experience. My dissolvable stitches which were under my staples started coming through the incision. They look like white string and do not move if I pull on them. (I did call the nurse, but I have not heard back.) It seems like they are changing the look of the incision, too. So did this happen to you? How long did it go on?

6mm 08/11;   lost hearing by 10/11 & tinnitus;  growth shown 02/12;  more growth-now 1.2 cm 08/12;  Translab @ Vanderbilt Haynes/Thompson  11/13/12
J. Hildebrandt

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Stitches Poking Through
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 04:03:50 pm »
I had them coming out, even 2 years later. I even had a BAHA stitch come out. Just pull them out and the skin will heal quickly.

James

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 07:55:33 pm »
Just a word of warning though, make sure it's not a different colored stitch.  I had a subdermal stitch poke through and I thought it was the outer skin stitch. I guess they use like blue or green stitches (can't remember) underneath the skin. Those underneath need to stay in.  It either dissolved eventually or whatever, but if you have any doubts, give your doc a call and make sure it's ok to do so!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

chance1212

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 10:10:20 pm »
These stitches were underneath. The staples were on the outside. The doctors said to leave them alone, but if they bother me they will trim them for me. It is very common. As far as pulling, that has not been advised and besides they don't budge. Thanks for the comments.
6mm 08/11;   lost hearing by 10/11 & tinnitus;  growth shown 02/12;  more growth-now 1.2 cm 08/12;  Translab @ Vanderbilt Haynes/Thompson  11/13/12
J. Hildebrandt

millie

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 06:58:17 pm »
I had translab too, but I did not have staples...I think I just had stitches.  That is what was seen on the outside of my head, along the ear-shaped incision. (What is underneath, I have no idea.)  Because of the storm Sandy, I could not get to the city to have them pulled out; my sister-in-law, a nurse, took them out with a suture kit after the doctor said it was o.k.  I don't think I would pull on a stitch.  I have been rubbing the incision area and sometimes it feels itchy but it is still quite numb-that bony area behind the ear....does that ever come back to normal? 
I don't think it's a good idea to tug on stitchrs...I'd call or e-mail the doc.