Author Topic: Advice in choosing between NYC surgeons Roland/Golfinos verus Sisti  (Read 26052 times)

millie

Re: Advice in choosing between NYC surgeons Roland/Golfinos verus Sisti
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 05:22:38 pm »
I have been recovering slowly-it is taking time, and I was told to be patient, and I certainly am better than I was right after surgery.  I have been trying to post faithfully under Trans-lab October 17th but you can probably just hit my name and read whatever I have posted.
It is harder than I thought, but my droop is better, my facial muscles are coming back, I still have fullheadedness and get wonky in a store after a couple hours out, and I am SSD but it only bothers me in groups and the doctor said when I am more healed, we will talk about hearing devices. Am not driving.  Using lubricant and ointment (Refresh)
I am reading all the posts tonight and feel more  hopeful that I am only two months out, and there is more progress to be made.
(I sometimes get depressed)Mil

jtd71465

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 07:09:12 am »
Thanks all.

Ive made my decision. Im having surgery with GOlfinos and ROland at NYU Jan 9. Im having the retrosigmoid approach. I have been inadvertingly watching and waiting for 5 years and have had 4 terrible episodes that have been extremely life distrupting. I want this behind me and feel Ive made the right choice for me. Im 33 yo and do not want to take any chances with radiation.

I'll say great choice...I had my operation on 1/10/2007 with Golfinos and Roland.  Tell them both I said hello and to take good care of you  :)

Best of luck.

Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 06:33:13 pm »
(I sometimes get depressed)Mil

Millie -

recovery takes time, and patience - although often very hard to find - is key  :)  Some days are two steps forward and one step back but it sounds like you are making progress and that's a good thing.  Hang in there!!

Depression is a very common "side-effect" of AN surgery.  Don't hesitate to seek professional help.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

millie

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 07:57:29 pm »
Thanks Jan.  I hear you. Mil

Shirley48

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 08:56:10 pm »
Hi Rachel,
I've just been catching up on new posts and saw that you are having retrosigmoid surgery with Drs. Roland and Golfinos very soon. They did the same surgery for me in July and I was very pleased with every aspect. It wasn't easy but it wasn't terrible either.  I felt I was in very capable hands at all times.  Best of luck to you and know that you've made a great choice of treatment. Let us know how you're doing.  Shirley
1 cm AN removed July 2012
Retrosigmoid surgery
Vestibular nerve cut
65 years old
Summit, NJ

millie

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 08:07:08 am »
Rachel,
Your surgery was January 9th...I have been thinking of you so much lately...I hope you are doing well...hang in there it will get better...Millie
P.S. I saw Dr. Roland on the 7th for my follow up appointment.  I think you are in good hands.  Prayers.  Millie

Chances3

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 10:42:25 am »
Rachel,

Let us know how you are.

dtorres135

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 12:16:17 pm »
Has anyone heard from Rachel.  I've been thinking of her this weekend.

rachelnyc

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 07:52:50 pm »
Hi guys

Can't believe I'm even online but needed some distraction. Came home yesterday after 5 days at NYu. They got the whole tumor out, but lost my left hearing. Facial weakness pretty significant- Golfinos said up to a yr for full recovery.
I'm grateful this is b
Rhine me but I'm so useless and hav never faced anything like this in my life. Recovery isn't a joke. How did others pass the time? It pains me very minute of every day that I can't pick up ad play w my 5 mo daughter...
Thanks the support- I know thIs group knows their stuff.
R
Left AN 2.5 cm
4 sudden hearing loss episodes with fullness and dizziness since 2008
Retrosigmoid 1/9/13 NYU Golfinos & Roland
Complete tumor removal but have SSD, facial palsy, external eye-lid weight (Blink-eze)

Blags

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 06:48:29 am »
Hi Rachel-so happy they got the tumor out. I'm sorry for your other side effects- hopefully the facial weakness will come back soon. Just keep a positive attitude. Get up and move when you can. Even if its just to walk around your apartment. Are you having any vertigo? I forced myself to read and do word puzzles to get my eyes and mind working. It was tough and tiring but think it helped my recovery. Also don't be afraid to rest... A lot. Take it easy and let your family help you. I know you want to play with your baby but you will have plenty of time for that. Hope the pain and headaches are not too ad and subsiding. For me once that passed I was a whole lot better mentally. If you need anything we are here.
Oct 2012 - 1.4cm AN removed retro sigmoid with Dr. Boockvar and Dr. Brown at Weill Cornell NY Presbyterian

dtorres135

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 09:56:22 am »
Hi Rachel:

I'm glad you are out of the woods.  Are you experiencing any facial dropping as well.  Not sure what facial weakness means.  I know the recovery isn't easy and i will be faced with that as well.  How long as your surgery?

Chances3

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 12:14:11 pm »
Hi Rachel,

I'm so happy to hear all went well.  I am sorry to hear about the hearing loss, and the facial weakness.  Hopefully the facial weakness is just temporary and as you continue to heal the muscle nerves will come back.  Make sure you get outside and walk around.  If you need to talk just call.

All the best,

Bob

Shirley48

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 10:47:56 pm »
Hi Rachel,
Hey, I think you're doing great being able to post a message so soon after surgery! I hope you have someone there helping you with your daughter.  Remember to rest as much as possible and don't worry about being useless--little by little you'll start doing everything you did before. Be patient with yourself.   
Shirley
1 cm AN removed July 2012
Retrosigmoid surgery
Vestibular nerve cut
65 years old
Summit, NJ

Mickey

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 02:27:32 pm »
Hi Rachel! My prayers for a speedy recovery... Best wishes, Mickey

millie

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 03:14:24 pm »
Rachel-
I too am praying for your  good strong recovery. It is  a tough recovery but it will get better...little increments of improvement every day.  The nerves take a while to heal, I am told.  I hope you have help at home.
My facial droop is better-it is three months today for me.  I am now left SSD too. Using drops for my eye. 
Look around at everything-the t.v. too-and walk as you can.
Hang in there.
It does get better.
Mil