Author Topic: Schleral lens  (Read 28725 times)

Jill Marie

Re: Schleral lens
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 12:19:17 am »
Nancyann,  will be here waiting for the results! 
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 12:34:05 pm »
Have the scleral lens in now for about 5 hours! It feels like a twinge of burning but never progresses - I think it's just that I was so use to lubricant, not having any on takes getting use to. I am amazed at the fit. The doc said it looked a little tight in 2 places, so I go back in 1-2 weeks to see how it's going. I don't feel anything 'tight.'
I'm able to put it on & take it off. The regular contact lens on the left eye is another story - I don't know if I'm going to wear it yet. I have alot of trouble taking that one out.
The doc thought I'd have trouble with the scleral lens, not the regular one!
I can't believe I'm not putting lubricant in, no lubricant to wipe off under my eye!!
I'm very happy so far, we'll see how it goes. Thank you soo much!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

ramirezjrj

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2013, 11:27:27 pm »
Thanks for all the wisdom out there,   I just had surgery on 01/23/2013 (left AN) .  Ive had the tumor for over two years and the risk of the surgery out weighed the benefits, I lost my hearing in my left ear a few years ago.  My surgery went without a hitch and if fact I was home two days later.  Well now I am two weeks post of and I developed left side paralysis and I can not blink or close my left eye lid.  Not to mention now I have balance issues.   This eye issue is really stating to dive me crazy,  my eye lid and is sore because I keep using drop and can help but rub it.  I follow up with my surgeon tomorrow for suture removal and this eye issue.   I've already thought about the eye sutures as you know tape does not work.    My question if you were working how soon were you able to return?  I am a Registered Nurse in the ER and there is no way I can care for patients with this eye issue.   Any suggestions ? 
Left sided AN, diag in 2011
surgery on 01/23/2013, Methodist Hospital
tumor 2.4cm,  No hearing on left side

Jill Marie

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 12:52:20 am »
Congratulations Nancyann,

So glad you got your lens and especially happy to hear that you can wear it that long from the start.  I had what I would call a bit of irritation at first, doctor tweaked the lens and all was good.  It will take a bit to figure out if the lens isn't quite right or if you are just getting use to it.  Yes, not using the lubricant takes a bit of getting use to.  I actually still use some but a tiny amount compared to what I use to do.  You will know in a couple of days if the lens is to tight.  I got a new one to try a couple of weeks ago, the first couple of days it bothered me a little but got progressively worse, to the point where I took it out after work, couldn't wait to remove it.  I am now going back to a looser fitting lens and a bit smaller. 

So glad to hear you aren't having any problems putting the lens in or taking it out, I know I was a bit nervous the first couple of times I did it.  Is the regular lens a soft contact lens?   You definitely deserve a break and it looks like you finally got one when you found that the scleral lens was the easier of the two to take out.  I was so thrilled to read your post, I know how you are feeling about the lens and not using the lubricant.  I understand your being happy so far, I keep wondering if it's to good to be true! 

Please keep us posted!  I hope that Dena checks in soon so she can read all about how much she has helped us! :) :) :)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2013, 07:14:42 am »
Ramirez: Hope your visit with the surgeon went well. He/she should let you know what you need to do for your eye. I use to use Refresh PM lubricant exclusively (until a few days ago), & at night used the Niteye Bubble Bandage. Don't know if you need an eyelid weight or not.  I did not return to work for 2 months.  I can't imagine going back as an ER nurse! Is there some 'light duty' you can do until you see how you're feeling? You may need to start slow, I went back part time for 2 weeks.
Jill: Last night I wore eye shadow for the 1st time in 6 years!! I had the lens in for 14 hours!  I go back Wed. so he can check the fit, but it seems to be fine to me! Thursday I had a little trouble removing it, but last night came out on the 3rd try!!
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2013, 08:47:37 am »
The past 2 days it's taken me 7-10 tries to get the scleral lens on without any airbubbles.
I don't know why I keep getting air bubbles.
Does this happen to you? Are there any tricks to prevent it?
Will check with the doc...
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Kaybo

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 10:07:20 am »
I am still very interested in all of this.  I think I will ask my occuloplastic surgeon (who is young & seems REALLY up on eye things) what she knows about this!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jill Marie

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2013, 10:46:27 pm »
Nancyann,

Not sure what to tell you about the air bubbles, I don't have a scleral lens like you do so not sure if there is a big difference between your lens and mine as far as air bubbles go.  I do have issues sometimes if I put to many drops in the lens, now that I think about it perhaps its air bubbles too!  I've only put the lens in more that once a couple of times.  Sometimes I just push on the lens a little with my lid down and that gets rid of the excess drops/air bubbles.  Usually I just go to work and everything works out in a 1/2 hour or so.  Hopefully the doctor can help you out more and I will ask when I go back at the end of the month.

Kaybo, as I told Nancyann, please look into this, an occasional bad day with my lens(trying different ones) is better than the best day without it.  Let us know what you find out, realize it's not for everyone but so far it has worked for all that have tried it or something like it.  Good luck, Jill

Kaybo

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 03:09:25 pm »
So I sent my Dr an email yesterday asking her if she was familiar with this and if I could benefit...her office called me today and she wants me to come in!!  I have an appointment for TOMORROW but I am going to have to cancel - I forgot that the sisters have early dismissal!  Bummer...I'll keep you posted!
K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2013, 11:17:03 am »
just got back from the doc - he said it just takes time to get the hang of putting the lens in. Today I got it in on the 4th try. He is ordering another lens since this one is a little snug, but I can continue to wear this until I get the new one next week.
I actually put eye shadow & eyeliner on!!!
& to think I asked my oculoplastic surgeon to remove my eye & give me a fake one - I was so tired of the burning, lubricant... So glad he refused!
I cannot thank you enough for telling us all about this lens.
I feel like a teenager again!
Kay - you are going to be amazed with this lens! Mine is a gas permeable.
On weekends I'm going to keep trying to work w/ the regular contact lens for my other eye.
Always good thoughts, Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Kaybo

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2013, 11:22:22 am »
For those of you that have had trouble putting it in, is it different than putting in a regular contact?  I have worn contacts for about 30 years - obviously not in my right eye after my AN...is it b/c that side is paralyzed?  I have no feeling in that side either...

;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2013, 07:54:57 pm »
Kay: the scleral lens is filled w/ saline, then applied. The only problem I'm having is w/ getting an air bubble in it. The doc said it will get easier.
I actually had trouble w/ the regular lens taking it out, which is why I stopped using that one, but I'm going to keep trying to work w/ the regular lens on weekends, when I have more time (the regular contact is also gas permeable b/c I have dry eyes...).
This morning I got the scleral lens in without an air bubble on the 4th try, which I was very happy with.
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Jill Marie

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2013, 12:44:16 am »
Kaybo,  Have you made a new appointment to check on the lens?  The gas permeable lens is a hard lens not a soft contact lens, so putting it in and taking it out is different. I use what they call a DMV(small rubber thing) to remove the lens.  I still use a bit of eye ointment so the air bubbles/saline solution in the lens doesn't bother me after I've had the lens in for a few minutes.  Once we find the best lens and fit for me were hoping I can go with only using Celluvisc drops.  The doctor is pushing for it more than I am.  She wants to see just how much can be done for me and others she works with.  I'm just so unbelievably happy with the change in my life that it's not that big a deal to me.   

Nancyann, Getting a new lens will make a difference, I was surprised at how a small change in the lens can make me go from loving the lens to looking forward to taking it out.  I/we obviously still have a lot to learn but that's ok.  I too was on the verge of wanting the eye removed.  I told the eye doctor that got me my lens that I really just wanted the eye gone, couldn't take it anymore.  She told me if she couldn't help me with the lens I have that she would send me to someone that can do the scleral lens so I know there's a difference, just not sure what it is.  Will quiz her some more at the next visit.  Something you might also want to keep in mind is, what happens if you loose the lens.  I would hate to be on vacation and loose the lens down a drain or something, that would ruin the rest of the vacation for sure.  My doctor is going to get me a cheap version of my lens to keep as a spare so I will be ok tell they reorder a new lens.  Haven't seen a bill yet for my lens, will let you know how it goes.   Glad to hear you are getting better at putting in the lens, makes it less frustrating.  Still way less time consuming then the old ointment, hurray!!!

Looking forward to more positive reports on what I call a miracle!  Jill ;) :) :D ;D 8)

Kaybo

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2013, 10:04:25 am »
OK - one more question...does the lens just help with lubrication, or can it be for correction too?

Yes, JM, I have an appointment on 2/27!

K   ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jill Marie

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2013, 01:10:52 pm »
Hi Kay,

It's for correction too!  Glad you have an appointment, good luck! Best get back to work.  Jill