Author Topic: Schleral lens  (Read 28726 times)

Dena King

Schleral lens
« on: October 03, 2012, 02:22:32 am »
Has anyone been fitted for a schleral lens?  I had a lime sized AN removed in 1981. Since that time I have had so may problems with my left eye because of total facial paralysis.  It does not close all the way. I have had so many infections, ulcers etc that I can't even count.  This past summer I had the worst corneal ulcer ever.  Took me 9 weeks to recover from it.  I actually have a scar from it.  My ophthalmologist has stated I will be in need of a cornea transplant if these ulcers continue. The ulcers are from exposure.  I have used so many different types of eye drops, ointments, however lacrilube at night and celluvisc during the daynworked best for me. I wear goggles at night that I purchased from Thedryeyeshop.com.

My doc referred me to Dr Kirk Leclear at the LeClear Vision Center in Louisville, Kyfor a schleral lens.  It is a very large lens about the size of a penny that fits over the entire cornea into the white area of the eye.  It is custom made for my eye.  It basically is an aquarium for my cornea.  In the center I fill it with special saline drops and it keeps y eye moist all day. I have been wearing it for about 3 weeks and y vision has improved immensly?  It feels so good.  Just wanted to share
Lime size AN removed Nov, 1981
Complete left side facial paralysis/hearing loss.
1985-1987 7x11 crossover facial nerve graft surgeries -Julia K. Terzis MD, Norfolk , VA
Left eye tarsarophy 1990
Bi-Cros hearing aids 2011
Received left eye scleral lens, Sept, 2012

alabamajane

Re: Schleral lens
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 01:49:11 pm »
I am gad you finally have found some relief!
I was wondering if an eyelid weight would have helped you all these years to keep the eye protected?
A little too late now I guess, but I have had one since surgery last Oct. to help my eyelid close to avoid what you have had to endure,, I still use drops mostly just at night now. Just curious,, glad you have found the relief, that is most important.. Thanks for posting as it may help someone else dealing with it,,,Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Jill Marie

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 10:39:36 pm »
Hi Dena,

So glad to hear that you found something that will help your eye after all these years.  I had my surgery 20 years ago so know some of what you have been dealing with.  Just read the post and need to go to bed as I have to work early tomorrow but will post more later.  Was wondering how much the Schleral lens costs, if you don't mind my asking, also, did your Insurance pay any of the cost?  Jill Marie
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Dena King

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 04:31:47 am »
The lens and doctor charge is about $1200, my insurance company did denied it stating they do not pay for contact lenses.  I had my main ophthalmologist write a letter yesterday stating it was medically necessary to protect my cornea from further ulcers or possible cornea transplant.  Just sent it off yesterday will keep everyone posted.  However, if this continues to work this well, no amount of money can replace how good it makes my eye  feel.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 04:37:03 am by Dena King »
1985-1987 7x11 crossover facial nerve graft surgeries -Julia K. Terzis MD, Norfolk , VA
Left eye tarsarophy 1990

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 08:21:20 am »
Dena, does your lens have a brand name?
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Dena King

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 08:33:50 am »
I am not sure of the specific brand name, although the drops & cleaning solution are from Bausch & Lomb that were recommended for me to use.  It is just called a scleral lens.   Google sclerallens.org for more information.  I know they also use them at the Mayo Clinic.

Question:  Since I am somewhat a computer dummy :)  How did you get your information about the tumor, etc. to display below your name?  I cannot find that area.
Left eye tarsarophy 1990

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 12:54:56 pm »
Question:  Since I am somewhat a computer dummy :)  How did you get your information about the tumor, etc. to display below your name?  I cannot find that area.

• Select "Profile" from the tabs at the top of the page.
  • Look for "Modify Profile" on the left and select "Forum Profile."
  • Scroll down to "Signature" and add your text.
  • Click on the "Change Profile" button in the lower right corner.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Dena King

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 01:44:12 pm »
Thank you very much for your assistance, I think I did it!
Left eye tarsarophy 1990

Kerry

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 09:08:12 am »
I have been working with the Boston Foundation for Sight to be fitted with a PROSE lens which is similar to what you have been fitted for.  It is a long process in that each and every lens i have tried is specifically designed for me.  So far it has been much better for me as I am able to actually see out of my eye as opposed to just having lube in it.  BFS has centers across the US at major medical facilities.
Kerry

Jill Marie

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 08:19:20 pm »
Hi Dena,

As I sit here typing my eye is burning like crazy, working to much, to much looking at computer screen at work.  Would love to hear more about the lens and how it is working for you.  The reason I asked about the cost is because the one place I read about it said they cost $5000.  As you say paying $1200 was worth it for the relief you got.  I wouldn't bat an "eye", pun intended, at spending the $5000 if I knew it would work and last a couple of years because I spend so much money on ointment now as it is not to mention as you say, how great your eye feels now. 

From what I've read it takes quite a few tries before they get the right lens for you and not just any place has them.  Will have to make an appointment with my eye doctor and see what he knows about them and go from there.  Did you have problems learning to use them and to get use to the lens in your eye?  Of course after what you have been through I guess it wasn't a big issue, probably wouldn't be for me either has I have been through quite a bit too.  I use ointment 24/7. 

Thanks for any help you can give me and please do let us know how you continue to do and if the Insurance company pays for any of the lens.  So very glad you posted, it's the best news I've heard in 20 years.  Even if it doesn't end up working for me it's good to know that they are working on things that will help us. 

Thanks so much, Jill :) :D
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Kerry

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 07:07:25 am »
The price is expensive.  Boston Foundation for Sight does charge $5000 per eye.  They do offer some help with the cost if necessary.  My insurance did cover 80% of the cost.  Once fitted the lens can last a very long time, years.  It took a little while to learn how to use it but now it is easy.  I have a fit check on Thursday.  It is great to be able to see without it being blurry.  But because my eye does not blink it sometimes gets hazy so then i need to force a blink to clear it out.  I feel like I am a safer driver and even my balance has improved since I can see better.
Kerry

Dena King

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 03:40:32 am »
Update on my scleral lens...... I have made numerous trips to my doctor, but have been very pleased.  The lens is only worn during the day and has to be soaked in a special solution all night. The initial hope was that I would only need to use systane liquid gel drops at night along with goggles or bubble patch.  However, I was still having dryness issues in the am and we decided that for my comfort, we should continue with lacrilube ointment once at bedtime along with my bubble patch.  Obviously this causes blurry vision, but in my case my comfort is more important than the blurry vision.

The scleral lens is working very well.  As a matter of fact sometimes I actually have to look in a mirror to make sure it's still in there!  Biggest change is when I go outside no more stinging or burning from wind, etc.

It is difficult to learn how to put it in, but just takes practice.  Sometimes it still takes me several attempts. 
Left eye tarsarophy 1990

Jill Marie

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 09:10:55 pm »
Dena, Glad to hear the lens is still working for you, good news for others as well.  As usual the blurriness of the ointment is worth the comfort it gives.  Do you tear at all?  I'm wondering as previous attempts at getting some kind of contact lens were scrubbed as they said my eye was to dry to wear them.  In my mind I feel I have no tears/natural lubricant at all but the eye doctor says I have a little.  When you put the lens in do you wear it all day?  I read somewhere that depending on how dry your eye is you have to wear it only a few hours a day or put it in every 3 hours or so.  If so still better than what I do now but was wondering.  Thanks again for letting us know how you're doing!  Jill  :)

Dena King

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 04:11:04 pm »
I do not think my eye tears as well, but my doctor does.  I had to gradually increase the hours that I wear the lens, but now wear it about 8 to 10 hours a day.

The biggest help is protecting the eye with either a bubble patch called nite eye or wearing goggles.  That way you wake up with your eye less exposed to start out your day. 

For some reason and my dr doesn't know why, when I exercise or become very hot, my eye waters a lot, but all other times it is very dry if that makes,sense.  This happened when not wearing the lens also.

I also always wear big sunglasses outside with snug fitting sides for protection. 

Hope this helps you!

Left eye tarsarophy 1990

Jill Marie

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 09:18:12 pm »
Yes, Dena it does help, a lot!  It sounds a lot like what I have been going through so hopefully the lens will work for me too!  I need to look into the bubble patch as the patch I have been wearing was working fine but not as well lately.  My eye also waters when I exercise, cough or chew real fast.  Thanks again for your help and info.  Jill :D