Author Topic: with hearing nerve cut will a hearing aide help?  (Read 4173 times)

thisisajourney

with hearing nerve cut will a hearing aide help?
« on: September 26, 2012, 01:25:40 pm »
I have been told a hearing aide would help and that it wouldn't.  If one would help which one would be better? Is there any place that would help with funding?  If a hearing aide will help would it help with balance?
Thank you,
Michelle

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: with hearing nerve cut will a hearing aide help?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 02:22:47 pm »
Michelle ~

A conventional hearing aid will be of no use if you've lost all hearing in the affected ear.  However, a BAHA (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid) will be beneficial.  Many of our SSD (Single Side Deaf) members have one and the vast majority are very satisfied with it.  Jan B. is our 'go-to' person on this subject as she is not only a highly satisfied BAHA user but very well informed on the various aspects of this device and how to obtain one.  I'm sure she'll be happy to help you with this issue.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

thisisajourney

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 02:51:04 pm »
Thank you very much and thank you for answering a question I for got to ask and was wondering.  I was curious what ssd was and now I know abrevations are always poping up :-)  ty ha ha.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 12:30:36 pm »
Michelle -

I am the Jan B that Jim spoke of. 

Please feel free to PM me with any questions you have about the BAHA.  Or you can email me directly.  My email address is in my profile.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 03:45:32 am »
Besides baha there are hearing aid systems that will be helpful if you're not wanting to have a surgery. The system involves two hearing aids, one sits on the unfunctioning ear and transmitts what it recieves to the other hearing aid owrn in the other ear so you hear  what comes to the unfunctioning ear in the functioning ear. It takes some getting used to but it does work well. I had this "cros" system before and it worked well, unfortuantly it "broke down" and I got out of the habit of wearing it and returned to being used to being hearing impaired....can't get used to it again.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

thisisajourney

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 08:45:55 pm »
Do you know if Medicare pays for a cross hearing aide?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 09:47:31 pm »
Medicare typically doesn't pay for conventional hearing aids.

They will, however, pay for a BAHA since a BAHA isn't a conventional hearing aid.  A BAHA is classified as a prosthesis or an implant.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 01:11:26 pm »
The answer to your question about will a hearing aid help balance...the answer is no. Hearing aids helps you hear. Your balancing system is a totally different system, and there is no way any existing system will help with your balance. Your brain just has to adjust to one vestibular system. Rehab will help you with your balance.

James