Author Topic: Calling all BAHA users!!!!  (Read 7474 times)

spgreenfield

Re: Calling all BAHA users!!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 10:08:21 pm »
It's not the processor but my skull that's the issue.  If the bone hasn't grown around the screw to "snug it up" and make the transference of sound seamless, it's going to affect the volume.  Trust me - I can "see" how this would be a problem for me....so I'm hoping that's the case here and it will gradually improve!  This is from my audiologist and Oticon rep....  You waited TWICE the amount of time I did - at 90 days - that's 3 months - I only waited 6 weeks - half the time you did...

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Calling all BAHA users!!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 02:45:54 pm »
You waited TWICE the amount of time I did - at 90 days - that's 3 months - I only waited 6 weeks - half the time you did...

At the time of my implant - over 4 years ago - 90 days was the norm.  About 2 years ago Cochlear changed their equipment - and I think Oticon followed suit.  The equipment is now made of different material - it's closer to what is used for dental implants - and the wait time has been reduced to 6 weeks.

However, many docs don't think 6 weeks is enough (my doc included, last time I talked to him) so they are choosing to go with the more conservative 90 days.

I am not an audiologist, nor am I an Oticon rep, but I've never heard that an abutment that lacked a "snug" fit created a volume issue.  I'm not saying they are wrong, just that I've never heard of this.  I do know that if your processor sits too close to your skull, not enough air will flow underneath it and it won't work properly.

Regardless, I hope time solves your issue.

Fingers crossed,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways