Author Topic: Need Counseling?  (Read 6018 times)

Cindyswart

Need Counseling?
« on: August 21, 2012, 11:06:59 am »
So the good news is that I went for my 1 year anniversary post surgery MRI. Great news! All clear and released for two years!! 1 week after that, I received my labs from the MRI from the radiologist. Just out of curiosity I opened to only to read that he noted a 1MM area on the other side that may be a swannoma. Needless to say, I freaked! I read and re-read the report, emailed it to my doctor and held my breath. The doctor says that radiologists have a tendency to "over-read" these reports so as not to be found guilty of missing something. In any case, I will have to wait at least a year before I can find out whether it is anything or not.
So I have to admit, I fell apart. The past 18 months have been a true journey for me, and not an easy one. My first reaction was," I can not go through this again!" I have always thought that I was fortunate to work for my best friend, however, when I chose to confide this to her, her reaction was not what I expected. Her words were that I cannot continue to live everyday with this hanging over my Head, sorry for the pun!
She says that she sees a difference in my demeanor, a worried, scared component to my personality that says that I am not handling my post surgery life very well. She suggested that I seek counseling. I am just not sure how I feel about this.

I am different. I have difficulties doing some things. But these are not things that anyone can see. they are known only to me. I do look at some things in my life differently, but not tragically or with melancholy.  I am also not naive enough to think that I could not maybe possibly grow another one. And it is true that this scares me. 

So I am wondering, should I consider counseling? Or does she just want the old me back, the one where no problem ever got in the way of work?
Diagnosed 4/19/11 An 1.5x1.9x2.0
Surgery 8/23/11, Dr Fukushima.
Total tumor removed. SSD.
Second surgery 11/11/11 for abscess

I'm gona work like I don't need the money
I'm gona laugh like I'm not afraid to cry
I'm gona dance like nobody's watchin'
I'm gona love while I still have the time!

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Re: Need Counseling?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 01:19:23 pm »
Dear Cindy,

I am in couseling, that is I go to a couselor. There are various types of counseling. There are cognitive therapists and behavioral therapists and a variety of others.When one is troubled and cannot confide in someone else, yes it is best to seek the professional advice of a counselor. It is not harmful. It can actually be helpful!

There you can discuss your fears openly and be quite content that he or she will divulge anything that you tell them. You could also come here and discuss questions that are on your mind. We are willing to help but I doubt if any of us is professionally trained.

As far as, listening to the advice of your physian, you could seek some other advice on your MRI reading, listen to your gut what does it tell you to do?

If your answer is explore it then explore it. If you are more comfortable waiting then wait. This site will give you options, my best advice is that you have been given a Yellow Flag in this news. Read my The Yellow Flag post in AN Issues. Read it carefully.

We are only given so many opportunities to slow down, in life we must recognize most of them and use them as turning points.

Best regards,

Mike

1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Cindyswart

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 10:20:52 am »
Thanks for the wise words. Truth of the matter is that there are people in my life that need me to be okay, whether I am or not. They just don't seem to be able to handle the contant everyday issues that accompany a situation like mine. I get it. As long as I can find at least a few people who can listen occasionally and empathize, not caring about themselves or their own adgendas for that moment, I will be okay. I pray uncessingly, that is a huge comfort. I will classify all those other people as customers, they will always get my best, my smile and my courtesy---just maybe not my heart. :)
Diagnosed 4/19/11 An 1.5x1.9x2.0
Surgery 8/23/11, Dr Fukushima.
Total tumor removed. SSD.
Second surgery 11/11/11 for abscess

I'm gona work like I don't need the money
I'm gona laugh like I'm not afraid to cry
I'm gona dance like nobody's watchin'
I'm gona love while I still have the time!

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 07:39:50 pm »
Cindy,

You are welcome to come here whenever you want and discuss things, in fact my therapist tells me that there is something therapeutic in discussing it with people (such as the ANA forum) who can relate on a more personal basis because you see we are all on the same journey here, just at different spots along the way. We can all help each other share our frustrations with the rest of the world.

We all want to fit back into society but, we have to slow down, and take a step back, think for a while about our options then we can proceed.

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 05:02:45 pm »
No shame in going to counseling.

Been there myself for multiple things in my life - infertility, marriage issues, divorce, family counseling w/kids, etc.

I found it was extremely helpful.

If you feel a need, don't hesitate.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 03:13:07 pm »
My counseling is here...being on this site. I am 63, and did not plan on spending the rest of my life SSD and wonky 24/7. But I am, and it is a big help to me to communicate with my AN family. Even after 30 months of SSD and 24/7 womkiness,  my wife and friends just do not understand what it is like. I am almost totally deaf know, but I know that all of you here have a similar condition, and you and all of the other posters make my life better.

BlueSky

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 10:26:24 pm »
Sent PM