Author Topic: Advice needed for post BAHA implant surgery  (Read 12535 times)

spgreenfield

Advice needed for post BAHA implant surgery
« on: August 15, 2012, 08:02:31 am »
I am about 2 weeks post implantation.  My ENT is great, but I question one of his directions only because discussion with another BAHA patient from House Clinic had a different experience.

My stitches were taken out and the dressing removed, but he left the "disk" on it with directions for me to feel free to remove it when I showered, etc. but to leave it on.  Since it snaps on similar to the processor but doesn't have weight to it, I'm concerned about the whole "snapping on" process being something that will interrupt the bone integration process.  The area is healing nicely, there's no need for protection, etc.  I DO have an appointment tomorrow for the recheck and then I hope it's just the wait until the processor can be attached (in my case he's saying 6 weeks...) because I have to drive an hour and a half just to get to him!

Would appreciate any suggestions/comments/advice that you BAHA wearers might have....

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Advice needed for post BAHA implant surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 06:41:28 pm »
At my first post op implant appt. my doc removed my plastic "disk".  He popped it off with him fingernail, it sailed across the floor, he picked it up and threw it in the trash.  Said I didn't need it anymore.

However, I know lots of people on the Cochlear Community (a discussion forum similar to this one) who wore their disk throughout the healing process and were even told to keep it to wear after they were healed.

This is one of the many areas where docs differ with their "rules" - and personally I'd follow what your doc tells you whether you agree with him or not.  Afterall, he's the doctor  :)

As you say, the disk is pretty weightless, so it won't "pull" on the abutment and rod.  Taking it on and off - because it doesn't have any real weight to it - shouldn't interrupt the osteointegration.  My doc told me wearing the processor before the site was fully healed/integrated was an issue because of the weight of the processor.  In his words, wearing it prematurely would cause "torque" and could very possibly lead to the implant not remaining where it was supposed to be.

Hope this helps,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kixit

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 07:38:53 pm »
I had my Baha surgery 8/1. My surgeon advised on my recheck appt 8/10 that I keep my healing cap on untill recheck 9/14 but to clean around it and apply copeous (sp?) amounts of Bacitracin. As I posted in another post my healing cap and abutment fell off today.

Jan is very knowlegeable about the Baha as others on this forum.
left side AN 9mm diagnosed 2/2012
SSD, loud tinnitis left ear
Translab 5/24/12
Baha surgery 8/1/2012 at UVA
Baha hook up 11/09/2012  : ) 

I am a happy camper : )

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 12:59:46 pm »
I just followed my doctors advice.  Snapping the cover on and off is normal and it was designed to be removed and be replaced so you can keep the wound dressed. Doctors play a lot of C.Y.A. and this may be one of his rules, just like Jan said. My doc let me take mine off after about a week...just keep it dry. It is best to follow your doctors advice. I would also guess that the vibration from the BAHA could rupture early bone growth if the processor is used too soon after the implant was done. 90 days seems like forever, but when you get plugged in, it will be well worth the wait!

James

PamJ

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 03:04:25 pm »
I'm in the UK and our doctors seem to differ from the USA.  I could not wash my hair for six weeks but I managed too get my husband to wash one side (very awkward) when I started washing my own hair I was told to keep the plastic cap on as it helped keep the abutment clean and helped to keep the skin tryig to grow over the abutment.
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 06:43:18 pm »
I'm in the UK and our doctors seem to differ from the USA.

You are SO right about this.  My BAHA implant surgery was done outpatient, local anesthesia while I was wide awake, I walked out of the hospital about 90 minutes later.

Someone else I know who lives in Canada was required to stay in the hospital overnight after her implant.

I can't believe you couldn't wash your hair for six weeks!  I had to wait 9 days after my AN surgery and thought I'd go crazy - I can't stand dirty hair, especially when it's gooped up with antiobiotic ointment  :P 

My doc let me wash my hair 24 hours after the implant, provided I didn't get my BAHA site wet.  He told me to hold a cup over that part of my head; hard to do, but well worth it.  I was able to wash my hair without the cup one week post implant.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 08:05:27 am »
The other part that differs greatly from doctor to doctor is the length of time after the implant until the processor can be attached. I know there are some new recommendations about a shorter wait time.  However, my doctor said he was not willing to go with the new suggested wait time and insisted on the 3 months.  In the end, it really did not make a difference to me, as I have never had a problem with the implant or abutment. I agree with Jan, I would just follow whatever orders your doctor gives you.  The hair part would be a challenge!
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

PamJ

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 12:48:11 pm »
The only thing I would say Jan about not being allowed to wash my hair properly when I did wash it it was absolute bliss it felt so good i washed it twice ha ha.

PamJ

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 12:58:00 pm »
Only had to wait 3 weeks before washing my hair after my AN surgery

spgreenfield

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 03:25:08 pm »
I've got to chuckle over where this discussion has gone!  I was able to wash my hair a week after surgery- once the healing cap was removed.

As for the disk - I've decided that it's actually a nice item - it mimics the processor somewhat in size (I think - since I don't HAVE that yet....) but what it does is protect the tender skin underneath and immediately below the implant.  Since I use hairspray it shields the area from that if I forget to put my hand over it.

I get my processor on Sept. 17th - so I'm pretty excited about being able to hear again from "that" side! 

Thanks for all the comments!

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 04:52:21 pm »
I get my processor on Sept. 17th - so I'm pretty excited about being able to hear again from "that" side! 

At this point you can already hear a little something from "that" side.

If you rub your fingertip very gently across your abutment, you'll hear the sound your fingertip is making.

A nice preview of good things to come  ;D

Jan

spgreenfield

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 08:02:16 pm »
OH BABY!  I heard that as soon as I got brave enough after surgery to touch the disk!!!  It's awesome!  I am so very excited!!!!  And it's SO CLEAR!!!!  I actually have a set of earphones that use bone transfer technology but it's actually only tissue transfer - but showed another AN patient how she can "hear" things even while plugging her ear.  She had poo poo'd a BAHA because she misunderstood and thought it was the size of a cochlear transplant thingie on the back of the head.  Sent her home with the pamphlet and she's waiting to hear from me once I get the processor activated.  She has trouble hearing her 9 year old son now being SSD - and is excited about possibly hearing again from that side.  It's funny - because she's been SSD so long that she could no longer sense no sound from her AN side - hearing was "hearing" to her - not specific ears.  Me, I still feel the loss of the sound from "that" side, so I'm hoping that my brain is ready to replace it still - not having "forgotten" anything as of yet!

She helped me though - I was having trouble with the AN side of my mouth and not wanting to chew on it still as well as numbness.....she had me go buy "Double Bubble" bubble gum (the old HARD kind!) and chew that once a day.  WHAT a difference it made!  Somehow chewing gum is easier to do than food - must be no particles are falling off to have to swallow and it stays stuck together nicely - so it reteaches your tongue to manipulate food in your mouth again....

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12