Author Topic: My first bout of tinnitus  (Read 22499 times)

BlueSky

My first bout of tinnitus
« on: June 27, 2012, 07:23:02 am »
Over the weekend I had a sudden ringing in the ear on my AN side. It didn't stop by the next day so I called the doc and set up a hearing test. Yep I was missing some of the high tones in that ear.  :-[ They put me on steroids so hopefully that will stop the inflammation and the hearing might come back. This is the first real symptom I've had, uggh! I was hoping this thing would just leave me alone to live my regular life a while but apparently it wants it's presence known. 

Chances3

Re: My first bout of tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 11:44:50 am »
Hi BlueSky,

I'm sorry to hear about the ring.  I have a wonderful collection of sounds in my head.  You probable don't want to know that.  Tinnitus is one of my big challenges that I truly want to conquer, but the doctors and many in the ANA community have posted that we have to "live" with it.  I have posted this advice numerous times here, that it is becoming my mantra.  Try the following, it might help.
No caffeine, alcohol, aspirins, nitrates, sulphides, MSG and stay away from processed meats like cold cuts, hot dogs and beacon.  ( Oh what I would give for a hot dog ! ).  Ask your doctors about going on a diuretic, and if you can, wear ear plugs before you are exposed to loud noises.  Finally, try and get quality sleep - this I am finding out helps the most.  Stay positive BlueSky, and keep posting.

It is what it is

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 12:30:00 pm »
Thanks for all your suggestions Chances3!  I'm following all of them.  Do those of you with tinnitus have this only on your AN side or both sides?  This is a fairly new symptom for me but it is loud in both ears.  Would love to hear if that fits what is happening to others or not?  I am convincing myself that the sounds are like a symphony of crickets that one might hear outside at night.  When I try to frame the noise in a positive way it becomes less irritating and disturbing to me.  For those of you living with this longer, do you have some thoughts to share about what helps you to cope with the noise?

Thanks,

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

New girl

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 03:18:30 pm »
Hi Karen,

I only have tinnitus in my AN ear.  I did find that when I gave up caffiene and sugar the volume was decreased.  I love coffee and I have been cheating so the loud ringing is back. During the day the ringing doesnt bother me much since I am usually interacting with people or I am in a lab with instruments humming which helps drown it out.  Sometimes at night when I am trying to sleep it bothers me.  I usually put on my iPod and that helps drown it out.  A lot of people say to me that it would drive them crazy.  I just try to tune it out and not dwell on it otherwise I think it would drive me crazy!  Just think the crickets are singing a special song just for you!  Best wishes.  :)

-not so New Girl
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

It is what it is

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 04:52:43 pm »
Thanks Not So New Girl!  Your response was helpful.  The crickets are happily singing their song. 
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

BlueSky

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 06:00:05 pm »
So today is day three of steroids, and the ringing in my AN ear has stopped if it is quiet. If there are loud noises then the sound in that ear distorts the noises and they sound more like a rubber band stretched out and being played.

Weird huh?

I'm hoping this means the steroids are working and honestly this is better than the ringing.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 09:20:20 pm »
Hello Blue...I am glad to hear the noise has stopped!  I also hope that the steroids themselves don't start causing other things to happen, like loss of sleep...I know that happens to a lot of people if they are on it (me included!)  Let us know how it goes! Take care!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

It is what it is

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 09:33:12 pm »
I am glad you are getting a reprieve from the ringing! 

karen

chance1212

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 10:30:28 pm »
Thought I'd chime in here. My ringing is so loud lately that it is almost like I can feel it! Not doing the steroid thing though...last October they gave me a pack and I had no idea that you gain weight from them cuz it messes with blood sugar levels. If it would have fixed it then it would have been worth it. So I continue to daily deal with it. I can't imagine 30 years of this--if I live to 80 that is!
6mm 08/11;   lost hearing by 10/11 & tinnitus;  growth shown 02/12;  more growth-now 1.2 cm 08/12;  Translab @ Vanderbilt Haynes/Thompson  11/13/12
J. Hildebrandt

It is what it is

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 11:34:25 pm »
Chance1212, I'm sorry the sounds are so loud and disruptive in your life right now.  It is definitely not a fun experience to have all this noise in our heads.  Never a boring moment.  To those of you who are further down the road with all this stuff, does the tinnitus ever get better for any of you?  Thanks,

karen

luvzmutt

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 03:57:31 pm »
I had no symptoms when my AN was diagnosed two years ago (can't believe it's been two years already).  I started with occasional tinnitus about 4 months after the DX.  In the past few months it has been almost constant.  Sometimes I can tune it out, but when I think about it, it's back with a vengeance.
Right side AN diagnosed 7/10 - 6.1 mm x 7.8 mm
1st follow-up MRI 1/10/11 - 0.9 x 0.3 x 0.4 cm
2nd follow-up MRI 7/11/11 - 1.0 x 0.7 x 0.6 cm
Follow-Up 12/20/11 - no noticeable change
MRI 11/26/12 - .5x1.0x.6 cm
MRI 10//21/13 - 0.8 x 1.0 x 0.7
Some hearing loss AN side and tinnitus
NF1 & optic glioma

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 09:32:51 pm »
I found this interesting website, it is good for us to play what is in our heads to other people so they kind of know what we go through...My sounds is pretty close to the "tea kettle" sound they have on there...check it out!
http://www.ata.org/sounds-of-tinnitus
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

It is what it is

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 10:06:38 pm »
Thanks!  It IS helpful to have others know what our internal sound experience is like. 

Karen

BlueSky

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 03:28:53 pm »
So the steroids worked, hurray!! I went to the doctor after I was done with the regiment of pills and my hearing test came back normal and the ringing/distorted sounds are completely gone now. The steroids were totally worth it, i gained some weight, but i don't know if it was from the steroids or because I was on vacation and indulged in more eating/drinking than I usually do  >:D definitely not more than 5 lbs.

The doctor prescribed a sleeping pill (generic ambien) at the same time with the steroids in case I needed it. The first night I tried to do without and was miserable so I took a 5mg pill the next night and had no problem sleeping. I have never taken sleeping pills before and honestly noticed no difference in waking up on time or being groggy or any other side effects.

The whole experience taking steroids/sleeping pills was completely fine and it was worth it to get my hearing back (for now).  ;D

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 03:36:20 pm »
BlueSky ~

Congratulations!  I'm glad to learn that your steroid treatment was successful and didn't have a lot of negative side effects.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.