Author Topic: A question for hearing aid wearers  (Read 4461 times)

LADavid

A question for hearing aid wearers
« on: May 13, 2012, 04:41:19 pm »
I've had a Widex for the past 4 years and with the exception of a few adjustments, it's been great -- until Saturday.  I put it on in the morning and it wasn't working.  I changed the battery, cleaned the tubes, made sure it was on -- but nothing.  I had just been to the audiologist on Thursday to have the aid adjusted.  Short of going back to the audiologist to have it repaired, does anyone know of any other quick fixes?
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

sunfish

Re: A question for hearing aid wearers
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 06:00:51 pm »
Not really knowing what kind of hearing aid you have, it's hard to say.  I have the Dot20, with the receiver-in-canal technology.  I've been told that the receiver can quit working, and need to be replaced.  Supposedly about a $50 fix.  I think it's kind of more than coincidental that you were just at the audiologist - definitely a call is in order to their office on Monday, IMO. Best of luck, sorry you're having this problem.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 07:02:30 pm »
Hi David .....

For the three years between surgeries, I wore a Widex Mind with no issues.  Sorry I cannot help, short of trying a different brand of batteries to see if it is the battery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 10:23:23 pm »
David

I don't wear the type you have, but I do have aids in each ear.  Seems like I go to the hearing aid place way to many times.  All hearing aids are very delicate to say the least.  I would think if you take them to ware you bought them there would be no charge to find out what is wrong.  Of course after that and if the warranty is over, it will cost you to get it fixed.

TJ

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 12:13:43 pm »
Hi, David!  I don't have a Widex (never even heard of it ;))  Just had to stop in to say "hey" and good to "see" you here!  Miss having you around...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

LADavid

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 06:02:57 pm »
Update:  Thanks everyone for your input.  I did see my audiologist today and she confirmed that the aid was indeed, dead.  Widex will fix the aid for $250 if it's under 10 years old and give a one year warranty on the repair.  I'm sort of guessing that the audiologist messed up on the adjustment last Thursday or maybe I did something to it.  In either case, the repair will take a week and a half and I got a loaner until then.
And, hi, Cindy. :)  I won't be such a stranger soon.  I've spent the last two years writing a book about my AN experience and it's in the publishing homestretch. I'll soon be back to a "normal" life.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 06:08:14 pm »
Seems like $250 is some magical number.  That is what I was told if and when mine break without even knowing what might be wrong with them.

I think it must be the corner of the market!  Anyway we all will have to pay that amount to get it fixed.

TJ

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 09:05:38 am »
Yaaaaaay, David .....

Let us know when the book is available!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 12:39:38 pm »
Glad to see that to fix it is not that bad I too have a Widex since September still trying to adjust to it but I do see a difference in certain circumstances but not as much as I expected and not sure if it is the Widex or the doctor adjusting the settings for me?

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.