Author Topic: Hearing Sensitivity  (Read 9702 times)

kfraone

Hearing Sensitivity
« on: April 02, 2012, 06:24:54 pm »
Hello all,

I am on Watch and Wait with approximately a 2cm acoustic neuroma or meningioma.  My next MRI is in May.  My question concerns a sensitivity to hearing in the ear on the same side as the tumor.  In the past 3 months or so, I have a problem being in a room where a lot of people are talking all at once or where the room has an echo affect.  I also noticed pain when someone spoke loudly next to me.  Have any of you experienced similar symptoms?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Kay

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Re: Hearing Sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 06:32:18 pm »
I experienced this during the last few months of pregnancy. After I gave birth I got an MRI & thats when I discovered my AN. After giving birth my hearing went back to normal. I still have excellent hearing years later.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

kfraone

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 06:05:19 am »
Mindy,

Thanks for responding.  I am so glad to hear that some people do not have any permanent hearing loss.  Did they tell you the reason for the sensitivity was the AN or was that determined by deductive reasoning....the sensitivity went away after the surgery?

Kay

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 07:17:45 am »
Hi, Kay...hyperacusis sounds like what you are describing - sensitivity to sound...talk w/ your doc about it.  Like tinnitus it may or may not be relieved w/ treatment (usually tinnitus is not and we don't "hear" as much about hyperacusis here on the forum - I used to just assume everyone who had their AN's removed had this sensitivity - didn't know there was a name for it until quite awhile after my surgery).  I have had that sensitivity to sound since my surgery and know it can be uncomfortable...

Take care,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 07:22:02 am »
Kay
I believe I had the sensitivity because I was pregnant. I think that AN's do have some kind of hormonal connection??? Anyways after I gave birth I think it was about a month later all hearing etc went back to normal. I really have not had any issues with hearing since. I did have CK done January 2008. I had some issues crop up since from typical swelling such as wonky head, pressure feeling in the nose/eye area, slight pressure in ear. Nothing too serious. Last November I did develop trigeminal neuralgia. We Dr. Schwartz & I think that my AN had always been pressing on the trigeminal nerve. It just now is giving me pain. I'm not sure how or why this happened. Dr. Schwartz and I decided since it was not growing and I have perfect hearing that he would go in and just take as much off the trigeminal nerve as possible and leave the rest. He says since I had radiation if he were to go in aggressively to remove the tumor that I have a very high chance of losing my hearing and I could have facial weakness etc. He doesn't think I will have issues in the future so I agreed with the plan. I still have the AN but I am pain free. I am 4 weeks post op tomorrow. I seem to be doing well, however I did develop an under eye facial twitch which drives me crazy. Dr. Friedman put me on a high dose of steroids that I had started on Sunday morning. I have to give it time...*sigh*.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 01:08:49 pm »
I had sensitivity to noise also.  My audiologist said it was recruitment.  If I remember I think she said that's where some cilia (hairs) have died and the ones on either side are trying to compensate thus amplifying the noise.
It was really bad for a while but after I had another MRI where the music was loud and of course the MRI noise was loud then all of a sudden it was gone.  I figure all that stimulated noise at once "killed" off the recruitment.  Just my theory, haven't bothered to ask the audiologist. 

It was so bad I was wearing ear plugs almost all the time which the audiologist said was bad to do.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 05:29:28 pm »
Kay .....

I developed hyperacusis and tinnitus after my first surgery (retrosigmoid) to remove my acoustic neuroma ..... never had either before then.  It has remained unchanged since my second surgery (translab).  With two audiologists' blessings, I use my custom made musician's earplug in my good ear whenever I am forced to be in an exceptionally noisy environment.  The musician's earplug filters out the high frequencies, which triggers the discomfort, and I can still hear the mid-range frequencies.  I always use it in conjunction with having my Ponto Pro bone-anchored hearing device on.  It actually works very well in those situations.  Mind you, I only put the plug in when I really need it so it is far from all of the time.

Unexpected clanking dishes, chip bags, squealing children, etc. still cause me to jump and cringe.  I have a pair of ear protector muffs I wear when the blender, vacuum, or mower is going.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

kfraone

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 07:35:43 pm »
It is amazing to get all of your responses.  I will talk to the doctor about the sensitivity and pain in that ear.  Strange, as I would expect to have less hearing if this thing is growing.

I have read, probably in posts here, but in other articles, that hypothyroidism is thought to contribute to acoustic neuromas or perhaps it is the medication you are on which is long term for most people.  Once you have a tumor of any kind, I think hormones and diet may very well feed the little buggers...

Everyone have a wonderful Easter holiday.

Kay

chloes mema

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 04:39:36 am »
Kay

Interesting about the hypothyroidism; I'm going for my annual ultrasound on my thyroid this morning.  I'm going to mention it to the tech but I doubt she'll know.  I just hope nothing shows up since I'm stressed enough right now about having to have CK soon.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

lrobie

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 12:26:01 pm »
Kay,

I am pre-treatment and also have what you are describing.  I get the zaps of pain when someone laughs out loud or talks loud near my AN ear.  Plus, the tinnitus ringing gets louder for a period of time.  I haven't talked to any doctors about it as I believed it to be related to my AN as I didn't have this prior to diagnosis.  I also can't hear in a room with several people talking.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

BeckyMax

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 07:11:07 pm »
I'm experiencing this right now, along with a sudden worsening of my hearing, gonna call my doc in the am just to see what he has to say.  Looks like I'm gonna have to start wearing earplugs to lessen the sound in that ear.  I usually wear them when drying my hair, and it does help.

Becky
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

august22

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 06:27:05 am »
I have SSD and had translab 10 years ago. I developed hyperacusis gradually over the last couple years and it's gotten unbearable. I wear a ear plug in the good ear even in the car and always in social settings and when flying. I think my good hearing nerve is just too overworked to deal with all the noise I'm exposed to. 
Sally

chloes mema

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 04:47:29 pm »
I noticed the sensitivity is getting worse.  Now I'm wearing ear plugs when I go to the gym, use the vacuum, & other situations.  The new normal! ;)

Karen

P.S. asked my ENT (who also is handling my thyroid issues) if there was any relationship between thyroid problems and an AN; he said no.
Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back