Author Topic: Too soon for another MRI  (Read 4886 times)

BeckyMax

Too soon for another MRI
« on: May 07, 2012, 08:15:24 pm »
My first MRI 2/12, just 3 months ago.  I was content with watch and wait for 6 months.  However, 2 weeks ago I experienced additional sudden hearing loss, was treated with steroids and although I had some improvement around days 6-10 on the steroids, I finished them and have found that the tinitus is back strong and hearing has regressed some.  Today I did experience some dizziness, though I can't quite out my finger on how to describe it.  I'm probably sounding a bit paranoid, I'm told my AN is very close to my cochlea, which I expect to give me additional hearing problems soone rather than later.  I see my AN doc next Monday.  Does it seem unreasonable to ask for another MRI this soon?  I'm concerned that if it is a rapidly growing one, then I need to make decisions sooner as well.  My anticipated treatment will be CK,so does it make a diferencein the end?

6 months seemed OK to wait before, but with this recent event, it seems its all I think about these days.  Perhaps it will give me some piece of mind.

Becky
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

Suu

• Better out than in.
Re: Too soon for another MRI
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 03:20:32 am »
Hi Becky

It doesn't hurt to ask.  Your doctor can explain why or why not to do another MRI.  Please update us on what is said and done?

Sending a huge hug (((((((BECKY)))))))

Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 01:57:57 pm »
Becky ~

MRI scans are expensive and, although your symptoms are certainly real and your concerns valid, your doctor may have some difficulty convincing your insurer that another one is necessary so soon.  That can depend on various factors.   

I underwent 5 MRI scans in a year; the one that 'found' the AN, another one just pre-op, another immediately post-op, another to 'map' my FSR treatment, another 6 months later and another 3 months following because the previous MRI indicated some swelling they wanted to watch.  My insurer paid for all of them, no questions asked, so your doctor may well be able to justify another MRI for you, now.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

BeckyMax

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 04:51:41 pm »
Good point, Jim.    I'm sure my doc will put me at ease when I am there, and if he feels another MRI is necessary then I'll get precertified and have it done, otherwise I trust that he will know exactly what I need to hear to help me through the next three months. I chose him to follow my care for many reason, not the least of which was the manner in which he put me at ease so quickly during our appointment.

Thursday my husband will have his shoulder surgery, that should keep my mind on other things for awhile.  :)

Becky
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

nftwoed

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 02:06:37 pm »
Hi Becky;

Seems another MRI is reasonable. Even if the AN has not grown much, not all MRIs are the same. Each one will look slightly different and may actually be interpreted differently by a different Dr. MRIs have a margin of error of + or - 1 - 2 mm ( you'll want 3 mm. slices at minimum ) That you can ask Dr. about. MRIs are approximately $1500.00 for the head series.
  One might also remember an AN need not grow to take out hearing.
  "Close to the cochlea" would likely not have the same meaning for a person w/o NF-2. In fact, to be that close to the cochlea, I feel is more unusual than usual.
  Best wishes to you!

BeckyMax

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 05:40:23 pm »
The doc suggested waiting till August as originally planned and i am good with that.  Since my hearing recovered and i havean application for extension of my life insurance pending, it seemed like a good idea to wait.

Becky
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

millie

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 11:01:23 am »
Becky-
I too have worried that the AN is growing as my hearing in my left ear is almost totally gone now and the feelings of "dizziness" and pressure can be very disturbing.  I am waiting for July unless something really weird happens.  Only because I am tired of going to doctors!
I haven't even been on this discussion forum but I wanted to reach out-you sound just like me!
Mil