Author Topic: Is it the tumor?  (Read 7601 times)

chance1212

Is it the tumor?
« on: May 13, 2012, 07:26:14 pm »
It seems like that's the question for everything new that happens. This weekend I began to have a strange feeling in my lips--especially an annoying twitching on my bottom lip. The twitching is quite frequent and both lips feel numb or tingly?
6mm 08/11;   lost hearing by 10/11 & tinnitus;  growth shown 02/12;  more growth-now 1.2 cm 08/12;  Translab @ Vanderbilt Haynes/Thompson  11/13/12
J. Hildebrandt

LizAN

Re: Is it the tumor?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 07:49:53 pm »
It seems like that's the question for everything new that happens. This weekend I began to have a strange feeling in my lips--especially an annoying twitching on my bottom lip. The twitching is quite frequent and both lips feel numb or tingly?

I've very recently started having eye twitching, and my lip curled up involuntarily when I was trying to go to sleep the other night.  This morning my face started feeling numb.  I had been told by my ENT that the facial nerve only controls movement, not sensation.  According to my partner's anatomy textbook, that is not true.

I'm no longer in W&W as my tumor has grown by 50% in the last 14 months, after shrinking a mm in the first 6 months.

If you start having any new symptoms, it is always a good idea to talk with your doctors about it.  When is your next MRI?

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

chance1212

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 08:41:38 pm »
I had my first MRI in July of 2011.
Then in Feb. this year--4mm of growth--tumor was about 1cm
Next MRI scheduled for August 2012.
6mm 08/11;   lost hearing by 10/11 & tinnitus;  growth shown 02/12;  more growth-now 1.2 cm 08/12;  Translab @ Vanderbilt Haynes/Thompson  11/13/12
J. Hildebrandt

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 10:33:50 pm »
I would think that is it time you really talked to you doctor about the symptoms especially with 4mm growth since
last MRI.  Most only grow 1-2mm in a year.  My AN took off like yours and grew 5mm in six months my doctor recommended I take the next step and leave W&W and have the AN treated.  I decided on CK and after CK my lip did the same as yours for a short while, then it stopped.  Very strange feeling.

Good Luck
TJ

sunfish

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 07:22:35 am »
That always DOES seem to be the question.  For the past two years, I've attributed EVERYTHING to the tumor.  Now I'm not so sure, with some of my issues.

The opthalmologist told me, "Don't forget, just because you've had a brain tumor, doesn't mean you can't have a detached retina now."  In other words, don't overlook an obvious cause for a symptom, just because you have/had a brain tumor  (In the end, I didn't have a detached retina either!).
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 01:15:15 pm »
Dear Chance1212,

It seems that we can advise with the best intentions here (it is good to point out here that none of us is a doctor).

But, IMHO, a General Practitioner can only advise so far as can an ENT. From experience I can tell you, it is best to have a neurologist look at recent MRI's and give an opinion.

It is important to get your ENT to give you a referral to a neurologist.

If you are having increased symptoms it is best to note when they happened and did you do anything unusual before these symptoms appeared. That way you can discuss them with your neurologist when you get an appointment.

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 07:09:12 pm »
Might or might not be; check in with your doctor to find out.

As for eye twitching, it's often a sign of fatigue or stress.  It could possibly be related to an AN, but it's not very likely.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

chance1212

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 06:13:10 pm »
Thanks everyone. Good comments. I am under the care of the doctors at Vanderbilt and have a skull base coordinator to communicate with also. Sometimes though the experiences of people on here give an additional insight. After my last MRI they kept saying I still had 3 options...I am sure I will second guess whatever I eventually do. I know that's not good..but I know Me! Oh if it grows again then my watch & wait will end.
J. Hildebrandt

millie

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 11:04:29 am »
Good advice, everyone.  Thank you.  We must make the time to follow through if symptoms really change.  I think. Mil