Author Topic: Tilting/falling backwards?  (Read 24996 times)

b28

Tilting/falling backwards?
« on: January 17, 2012, 11:08:19 pm »
When I am standing still my balance is very off usually making me tilt backwards. It feels like my head is being pulled back or like there's a heavy weight in the back of my head making my head go back.  If I don't catch myself I'll fall.  It's frustrating b/c I can be standing perfectly upright and it happens.  Is this something consistent with AN's?

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: Tilting/falling backwards?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 05:17:38 pm »
b28

As you know we are not doctors but I believe it does has something to do with the AN.  I know that I "sway" when standing, I usually have to hold on to something so that I am more stable.

TJ

b28

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 10:28:40 pm »
Thank you for your response TJ.  I do the exact same thing. I always sway when I'm standing so I always hang onto something or lean against something so I don't have to make the physical effort to stay balanced. If there's nothing to hang onto or lean on I shift my weight from one leg/side to the other frequently.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 06:58:23 am »
While I am, of course, not a Dr...I will say that this happened to me often before I had surgery. I was a teacher & if I were standing talking to other teachers, like at recess, it always happened - I'd just stumble backwards like a drunk person. I'd always say "Oh, I have horrible balance!" I was told by the Dr.'s that (if you hadnt been drinking   ;)), this was a huge sign that there was SOMETHING "extra" in your head. In fact, when people ask me what I might tell others to look for, my standard response is, "If you are in a group of people and someone who hasn't been drinking stumbles back, you should ask them how often this happens. I don't want to be paranoid but if it happens frequently, they need to get it checked out."
It might not be an AN, but you probably need to get it checked!
Good luck,
;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 08:09:29 am »
I'm not a doctor, but my great grandfather was a civil war physician, and he would probably just bleed you a little bit...just kidding. He really was a doctor/dentist, but I'm sure he had no idea that AN's even existed. I am 22 months post surgery, and still wonky, but you get used to it. Do you have an AN?

b28

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 11:07:59 am »
James- I don't know if I have an AN, my MRI is scheduled for Jan. 24th pending insurance approval.

Chances3

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 12:09:16 pm »
Hi b28,

I had my AN removed about 1 1/2 years ago.  For over one year I always felt like I was falling forward when I walked.  It was really bad the first 6 to 8 months.  The sensation was like a free fall,  the kind you experience at an amusement park or just when the rollercoaster has cleared the top and you get that rush going forward and down.  It was very hard for me, but in time I have healed from that, although not 100 percent.  Recently I have had slight sensations of falling to one side or backwards.  Uneven surfaces make me wobbly and dizzy.

Sorry I don't have any advice to help you, but I have learned that keeping your legs strong really helps when balance is an issue.  I hope all your tests turn out negative and you can find a cure for your problems.

God Bless.