Author Topic: 24 days till my surgery, any do's and dont suggestions?  (Read 5406 times)

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
24 days till my surgery, any do's and dont suggestions?
« on: January 01, 2012, 09:33:25 pm »
I am looking for support...just want to be as ready as possible.  I am nervous again.
Stephanie
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Re: 24 days till my surgery, any do's and dont suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 12:53:04 pm »
Stephanie
Being nervous is totally understandable. I don't have a surgery date yet but just thinking about it makes me nervous. I'm sure others will chime in here to give you some advice on the do's and don'ts. I can say DON'T watch youtube videos of the surgery like I did. Ugh...big mistake. Did you start a caringbridge webpage? You should that way family & friends can keep updated on your journey.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

JAndrews

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 02:40:58 pm »
I was very scared prior to surgery. As each day got closer my anxiety level would increase. Some days I thought I would actually pass out. You are in the best hands for your surgery. You are going to be ok. Recovery does take some time, but looking back at it...I could do it all again if I had too. Be patient and kind to yourself. Best wishes being sent your way..
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

deheisel11

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 03:30:31 pm »
Stephanie,
Probably because of all the research I did before hand, I was very calm the day of my surgery.  A tonsillectomy at age 5 was the only surgery I had prior to this.  However, this surgery was very necessary (perhaps yours is, too) since the tumor was pressing on my brainstem.  Facial paralysis was the only negative outcome but that isn't too much to handle.  Most of the paralysis has diminished.  Probably, the majority of people come out of the surgery with no or few complications.  Hopefully, you will be added to that list.  The only suggestions I have is to do your research and after the surgery walk as much as possible to maximize your balance.  I didn't walk as much as I should have initially and now am trying to play catch-up.  Best of luck to you on a very positive outcome on your surgery and a very speedy recovery. 
translab surgery of 2.6cm neuroma, right side, by Dr. Welling at Ohio State, 6-18-10.  BAHA base placed on same day.  Facial paralysis. Gold weight 7-14-10.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 04:01:00 pm »
Stephanie ~

Your pre-op jitters are normal.  You're facing major surgery and there are inherent risks with it so of course you have some anxiety.  We all did. 

My advice is to hold on to your confidence in your surgical team, don't dwell on the 'what-if's' and of course, embrace the support of your family and friends.  Just focus on getting through this without obsessing on what you might have to deal with, post-op.  Know that many hundreds, even thousands of folks much like you have gone through this procedure and come out just fine.  Even if a complication arises, it will probably be temporary, as most are.  AN surgery isn't easy but it isn't the end of life as you know it, either.  You'll still be you post-op, only without the AN.

Never forget that you'll be in the thoughts and prayers of many people during this time.  I'll be one of those.  Stay strong, do well.  :)

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

stephSF

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 03:16:57 pm »
Thanks friends.   On a side note, i put my ipod in my good ear for the first time since July when my hearing  really diminished.   I listened to the song, Living Proof by MJ Blige from The Help.  The lyrics are perfect and my blessed good ear was fine enough for music therapy.  I admit I did put the earphone in and out of my AN ear to see what I could hear...to see what I would be missing.  I was wondering how different things are going to feel and sound like in three weeks after my Translab.  So many wonders I have.  What will it feel like missing some skull bone?   How much balancing compensating may I already be doing?  Etc....
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

alabamajane

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 10:49:20 am »
Hi Stephanie,
As is said many times on here,, everyone's experience with these tumors is different. So it is hard to say just how things will go for you,, just keep good thoughts and try not to stress over what "may" happen. I had translab about 10 weeks ago. I will say that at three weeks, you probably still won't feel really good.. you may come home on steroids for a week or so and of course you will have "after effects" of anesthesia still in your body. It took me about 4-5 weeks to really feel good again..and I still have fatigue easily, but not many headaches as I had had before surgery. Mine was pressing on the brainstem and causing all sorts of symptoms... I was off the steroids within the first week, that helped, and I did not take much of the pain meds sent home with me as I was already experiencing constipation which was very uncomfortable,, I found preparation H to be my best friend for a few weeks.......drink plenty of fluids. I have facial paralysis and gold weight in my eyelid because tumor had grown into facial nerve and it had to be severed,, DON'T stress over that though, as you very well may not have that issue.. however, it causes me great difficulty eating, drinking and eye drops constantly..  the very best "thing" to come out of surgery is that the tumor no longer resides in my head!! For that I am thankful and would go through it again just to not have to worry about it in there and growing and complications of it pressing on brainstem.. it is not an easy surgery, no doubt, but many people go through it without "major" complications and I am hoping you will too... just try not to worry about it, I know that is easy to say,, but we have all been in your shoes, (that have had any treatment anyway) so we can say that to you. Worry will not help anything at this point,, just stress you out. Try to stay busy doing the things that make you happy and try to "finish" up any projects/things left undone as you will probably not feel like doing much for several months after surgery.

As far as walking, I did walk each day before surgery,, with the dog, and my balance is not too bad now,, although at first  I was quite unstable. . the hearing issue takes some getting used to and I am still trying to adjust.. it is weird to hear something going on and not know where or what side of you it is... with my surgery and not sure it is that way with all translabs,, but my ear was quite numb and swollen feeling, I explain it like a Mr. Potato Head ear "stuck" on the side of my head...feeling has just started coming back into it lately and it is not so bad. It also had a feeling of having pins stuck in it if touched.. but in addition to having the incision behind my ear for the translab, I also have an incision in front of ear and down neck/jaw area where the nerve graft surgery was done 4 days later to repair facial nerve, so that may have some bearing on how my ear feels.. I don't notice the area of bone removal as any different other than sore and tender. Ask your Dr what they use to replace that bone, but I don't imagine you will feel much difference.

Sorry to go on so, but wanted to give you my experience as I have just gone through it. I don't mean to give you anything to "worry" about as I said because your surgery experience will be different than mine just by fact of you using a different Dr.. but it is my experience... it was hard but I would do it again just to get the thing out of my head!! Now I can start adjusting to life after AN,, it is a new me or as  they say a "new normal",, but one I must accept and move forward with and I am trying each day to do just that.. Good luck to you,, I know you will do fine,, try not to worry about it for the next couple of weeks and enjoy life........  PM me if you have any other questions, I will be glad to answer..........Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

stephSF

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 04:59:09 pm »
Thank you for sharing.  I do appreciate all experiences. Bless your hearts!!

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 01:13:05 pm »
Do be in good physical condition. My surgery lasted 10 hours...some are much shorter and some are lots longer than mine was. Being in really good physical condition can help you recover. You still have about two weeks, so start working out. It might just be walking, or riding your bike. What ever you can do to improve yourself physically...do it.

Do lose some weight if you are over weight...you will recover faster.

Do not be afraid of SSD. If I had my choice, I would love for both of my ears to work, but they don't. I just accept that, and life goes on. I did get a BAHA and that helps, but even without it, I can still enjoy the beauty of music, conversation, and all the sounds of nature. Life is good.

Do not be afraid of pain. Most people here never complain of any. There are a few, but not many. I did have some discomfort. I had a translab, and they tied a bandage around my head so tightly, that it was super uncomfortable. I asked the doc to loosen it, but he refused. It came off after two days...big relief.

Do set some goals while you are in the hospital. You will be encouraged to be mobil. It is terribly boring lying in a bed. I set goals to walk a certain distance every hour. I set goals while walking, not to use the hand rail. I set goals to  walk backwards, to take a shower by myself. It helps pass the time.

Do talk to your doc about fat grafting...you asked about it earlier. I don't know your age, but if you can wear a two piece swim suit, ask them to harvest the fat below the top of your suit bottom. I have a nasty looking scar on my belly right next to my belly button, and if I was a girl, I would be pis--d off.

Do not look at you-tube and get yourself huffed up by all the bad experiences posted there. I am almost 2 years post op, and I still like to post here to help you through this. I got all types of good advice here, and I like to try helping you a little. My life is really good, and your life will be also.

James

stephSF

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 11:25:41 pm »
James..thanks.  Good advice..and gives me the little push I need to keep walking ang thinking about my goals after surgery.  I love my life, my full time job of caring for our 6 kids at home, so I have really good reasons to work hard on recovery!   Oh, nd I just got my diploma today for my masters in psychology.  I Feel ready..mostly ready to be on the other side.  I appreciate your support friends.
Steph

schmidtkat

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 10:09:44 pm »
Steph,
Congratulations on your masters degree in psychology! What a wonderful accomplishment! Take time to soak in the celebration of that milestone. Enjoy time with your family and doing things that make you feel good before your surgery. Preparing mentally and physically for the procedure are equally important.
All the best~
Kathy

Cheryl R

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 08:31:34 am »
Steph, Congratulations on your degree.       Has to be a good feeling to get that done before have the surgery.      Plus sounds like should have some help post op when the no bending or straining time is going on.    I have said this many times but do not push yourself too hard after surgery as it will get better in time and back to a normal life..      At first one feels like will be forever.
                          I wish you well!                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

cindyj

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 08:50:20 am »
Hi, Stephanie...you are going to be in great hands!  You've been given great advice here.  I was wondering if you had seen the thread about the Magic Scarf - see the link below...You were suggested as the next recipient.  Have you and Clarice been in touch?  If not, send her a PM w/ your address and she'll get the Scarf off to you (if you'd like to have it).  It's been a wonderful tradition around here for several years started by Debbi in NYC.

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=15064.0

The only thing I'll add to the do's is to take some lip balm with you and then, after surgery, walk and nap, walk and nap and walk and nap!

Best to you,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

stephSF

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 05:07:47 pm »
Hi Cindy, thank you for the magic scarf suggestion, and yes I have written to Clarice since my thanksgiving 2011 dx.  Two weeks from today I will be about one glorious day ouy.  My personal mantra today is that I am having life saving surgery.  That is the fact.  I will give up what s left of mt left hearing and there may be other losses.  HOWEVER I will be able to continue to raise my family, be a good wife to my partner, and hopefully give back when I am up and going again.  I have chosen surgery now because I want to live.  A little soap boxy..but it is where I am at today.  Thank you for you spunky encouragement!!
Stephsf