Author Topic: BAHA complications  (Read 2025 times)

MGengo

BAHA complications
« on: August 09, 2011, 08:13:24 pm »
I got my BAHA in October 2009 and have had issues with swelling every 2-3 months ever since.  My abutment was very close to my head and the skin kept creeping up over the abutment every couple of months.  I tried having some of the skin cut out around the abutment, but I finally decided that I would try a longer abutment.  Had the procedure today with Dr. Kwartler.  I hope that solves the problem.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA complications
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 06:35:16 am »
I've never experienced these issues, and I'm not a BAHA expert, but I think the longer abutment will help the problem.

Hopefully it will solve it completely.

Please keep us posted,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: BAHA complications
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 10:39:12 am »
Something is causing the swelling...probably not the abutment. The longer abutment might be a solution to the problem, but there is something else going on. I had temporary swelling going on, and at one point it covered my abutment so I could not "plug" in. It was a stitch working its way out to the surface, and then the swelling stopped. I have some more swelling going on, and I can feel another bump under my scalp, so I probably have another one working its way out.

My first stitch felt like a hard bump under my scalp, about the size of a match head,  and I told my wife to see if there were any ingrown hairs around the surgery site.
She could not see anything, and she could not even feel the bump. One afternoon, I was rubbing the area because it was sore, and this knot popped out of my scalp. The bump I have now feels the same way, and I hope it is another knot getting ready to pop out.

The first knot popped out 9 months after the surgery. You might try lightly rubbing the area around your abutment and feel for a tiny hard bump. Mine was lightly sore to the touch, and my current one is the same way.

Hope this might help you.

James