Author Topic: BAHA on top of my head?!  (Read 4177 times)

MNTim

BAHA on top of my head?!
« on: August 11, 2011, 08:53:40 pm »
Today I had an initial appointment with an ENT to discuss my post tumor life.  My main reason for meeting with her was to discuss ways to improve my hearing.  I expressed a concern with having another surgical procedure, CSF leaks, tight skin, etc.  She was not the ENT who preformed my translab so she felt my head for remaining skull.  After doing this she said that if I chose the BAHA it would be placed higher and farther back on my head than normal because I have lost a lot of bone on my surgical side.  Has anyone delt with this?

Also she said that many of her patients are only mildly sedated for the procedure.  What type of sedation did you current BAHA users have?

Thanks,
Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Re: BAHA on top of my head?!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 09:03:34 pm »
You could think of it as going to the dentist office and getting your tooth drilled.  You will not feel a thing, that's for sure. Some people had general and some had mild sedation.  It depends on each surgeon and hospital. My first surgery was done under local and I didn't feel anything.  My second surgery (bilateral) was done under local with heavy sedation since I cannot use general anesthesia.  In most case, surgery is done about an hour or less depends on the surgeon. 
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 09:16:47 pm »
My abutment was put in at the time of my second surgery ..... and yes, it is a bit higher and farther back than some because of the titanium mesh from two surgeries on that side ..... but it is still a very successful placement and I love it!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 10:13:02 am »
Mine is in the normal place.  Some people have this procedure with no sedation at all.  I had very light sedation, heard them drilling, felt water running down my neck.  It was a strange sensation, but not painful.  They of course put in local anesthesia so the area is totally numb.  Since you have already had surgery there, the area may already be numb.  The description of going to the dentist to get a tooth drilled is pretty accurate.  This, to me, was easier than a root canal!
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 01:15:17 pm »
I was put out for mine and it took about an hour an a half. Mine is up a little higher on my head so I can't wear a hat and the BAHA at the same time.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 09:05:01 am »
Tim -

my partner in crime Lori (lori67) has her BAHA placed towards the back of her head - about where a woman would traditionally have a ponytail.  Turns out that was the best place for her due to skull thickness.

My implant is in the conventional place, slightly above and behind my ear.  Actually it's directly on top of my AN surgical site.

I had my surgery with local - lidocaine - and no type of sedation.  As Ken said, it's similar to getting a tooth filled.  I heard the drill, I felt a little pressure, but I had no pain whatsoever and was able to talk to my doc during the procedure (unlike getting a tooth filled).  My doc does the majority of his BAHA implants w/local, but lets patients choose general if that's what they want.

I thought local was wonderful.  I experienced none of the "fog" or nausea I typically get when coming out of general anesthesia.  I was alert and able to go about the rest of my day normally.  I even walked out of the hospital after a few minutes in the recovery room.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 10:05:34 am »
Tim,

My abutment is placed pretty far back on my head as that was the only place I had "good" bone.  It's a little bit above the top of my ear.  The only problem this has caused for me is that with the Divino, the microphones are angled more towards the back so I miss out on some sound coming from directly in front of me, which is usually where conversation is coming from.   :(   I was able to try out the upgraded version (not even sure what model we're on now - they're coming out so fast lately) and it seems the microphones on the upgrade are better at picking up the sounds overall, so some day when I get the upgraded version I don't think it will be an issue.

If you can, talk to an audiologist about it and see what he or she feels about it.  I didn't realize when I had the abutment placed that the location would really impact the function of the processor.  It was my audiologist that told me I wasn't going to get the full benefit because it was so far back.  Even so, I'm still glad I got it.  Even without getting 100% out of it, I'm happy with it.

I had my abutment placed under general anesthesia.  I could have had local, but I'm a big chicken and didn't want to know what was going on.  I felt fine afterwards - took it easy that night and then was back to my normal routine the next day.  I never did have any pain from it.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

lori67

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 10:08:11 am »

my partner in crime Lori (lori67) has her BAHA placed towards the back of her head - about where a woman would traditionally have a ponytail.  Turns out that was the best place for her due to skull thickness.

Wait a minute - did Jan just call me a thickhead????   :o
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 10:14:07 pm »
Aaaaaaaaaaa, maybe  ;D  :-*

>:D
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 04:19:07 am »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 07:39:34 am »
Do you just look for my posts on a regular basis??

Jan