Author Topic: Sound in ear during balance loss or during sharp feeling in face  (Read 2867 times)

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
I had my surgery May 12, 2011 to remove a 3 cm AN. It left me with facial paralysis on my right side. One thing I've noticed in the past month or so is that when I feel a sharp pain in my face, or not quite pain, but definitely a sharp feeling in my face, it's always accompanied by a sound in my deaf ear. My tinnitus is constant, yet when I feel the sharp feeling in my face or when I suddenly lose my balance, I will hear my tinnitus louder than usual in that ear. So my tinnitus is definitely closely related to activity in my trigeminal nerve and my 8th cranial nerve. I guess as they're reconnecting, they're sending signals to my ear? This happens every single time I lose my balance suddenly or when I feel a sharp sensation in my face, not during the normal tingling in my face, just when it's quick and sharp. My normal tinnitus sounds like a piece of steam machinery (that's the closest description I can think of). It sort of sounds like a radiator in a NY apartment. During these moments I describe, the sound will be louder and slightly more high-pitched. It will occur exactly in time and duration as the facial spasm or balance loss.

Has anyone else had the same or similar experience?
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder

LisaP

Re: Sound in ear during balance loss or during sharp feeling in face
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 02:20:58 pm »
Hi,

I am W&W and one of my first symptoms was pain from my tooth thru my cheek to my ear.  I believe it is the trigeminal nerve involved.  I do continue to have facial symptoms.  Good luck on your recovery.

LisaP
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

nftwoed

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 07:50:30 pm »
Anasazi42

Hi; just to mention, the trigeminal and 8th cranial nerve do not connect as are not pathologically destined to connect, and are non associative.
  Re, tinnitus, the sound differences in it means little unless one has a rare perilymph fistula. Tinnitus in AN is usually associated with hearing loss, even if minor.
  Have you had a recent audiogram?

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 08:52:52 pm »
I looked up the condition "perilymph fistula". Very interesting.  I haven't had a recent audiogram, because I'm SSD since my retrosigmoid surgery. I don't know what I'm experiencing but it's strange and consistent. I will mention it to my neurosurgeon.

Anasazi42

Hi; just to mention, the trigeminal and 8th cranial nerve do not connect as are not pathologically destined to connect, and are non associative.
  Re, tinnitus, the sound differences in it means little unless one has a rare perilymph fistula. Tinnitus in AN is usually associated with hearing loss, even if minor.
  Have you had a recent audiogram?
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder