Author Topic: Need support /tinnitus insanity  (Read 13869 times)

Farmgirl88

Re: Need support /tinnitus insanity
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 09:52:23 am »
I was diagnosed with a small tumour in March, and am currently on watch & wait.  I have tinnitus 24/7 and moderate hearing loss and work in a library, which makes the tinnitus even more annoying, being in a quieter environment. 

I went to an ENT about tinnitus treatment options, and he did recommend Amitriptyllin being something that many people find helpful.  Another suggestion he had was a hearing aid.  I was hesitant to try the drug, so I made an appointment at a hearing aid clinic to investigate a hearing aid.

Was I ever glad I did!  I had no idea there were hearing aids specifically for tinnitus sufferers.  They recommended the Widex Mind, and I got it yesterday.  So far, I am really impressed!  Mine has three settings, hearing aid, hearing aid plus zen tones, and zen tones only.  I chose the "Aqua" program of zen tones, and you get to select the speed, pitch and volume of the tones.  I wore it to work yesterday, and it was great; only time it was too loud was when I was helping a customer find a book and she burst out laughing right next to my ear! 

I was surprised last night when I removed it how much I was aware of the tinnitus again; couldn't wait to put it back on this morning...

My clinic was able to get me a few discounts, and they talked Widex into giving me the remote for free (it's about $200).  Mine cost $1718 altogether; Canadian gov't pays $500, and my insurance will pay $275 every 5 years.  Yes, it's expensive, but if it helps your sanity, and you can manage it, why not?

I'll be honest here, my tinnitus was starting to cause marital problems, so if we're both happier, life's much nicer.

Lori
AN diagnosed 3/2011, 7 mm x 6 mm x 4 mm, right side
Some hearing loss, have tinnitus 24/7
Watch & wait

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 01:43:37 pm »
Hi, Lori ~

Congratulations on discovering a solution to the dreaded tinnitus problem so many AN patients have to endure.  Thanks, too, for alerting us to this approach to combating your tinnitus.  I'm sure many of our members will appreciate your post.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 10:34:33 am »
Great news and hope this can help those who have the tinnitus and some hearing.
Unfortunately the SSD group, me included, can't benefit from the device >:( since I have no hearing to mask the tinnitus.
Glad this is working for your marriage, too  :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 03:37:48 am »
I too have been suffering from tinnitus, but it hasn't been at levels that some of you have experienced, but there are days when it's close! :)  I always read these threads when it comes to tinnitus, and this particular thread seems to have some different meds/devices that I haven't seen before.  Thank you all for the helpful advice on what's out there! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 08:16:09 am »
This thread was started quite a while ago so hope new people are looking at the dates.

Since tinnitus is not measurable by current technology, insurance companies will not pay for treatment of it, unfortunately.

Neuromonics sounds the most promising of current treatments but it is expensive.  It involves wearing a device like a hearing aid for several hours a day, several days a week, with specially programmed sounds/music for the individual.  The idea being to retrain the brain to ignore the sounds of the tinnitus.  The initial treatment can last several months, with follow-up, as needed.

When I went to the University of Kentucky a couple of weeks ago to have my Ponto Pro programmed/attached, I met with two different audiologists there.  One has been specially trained in processor programming, the other specially trained in treating tinnitus and in neuromonics.  My husband and I had a long discussion with both of them.  I specifically asked about whether I could receive any benefit from neuromonics being SSD.  The answer was "yes, but ......"  Bottom line:  I would obviously have to wear the device in my hearing ear and the success rate is less (but not unheard of).  She said I would most likely have to wear it over a longer period of time to achieve significant relief.  When I asked how in the world it could work to change the perception of sound in my deaf ear ..... she reminded me it is the brain that is being retrained, not the ears.  At UK, they offer a 30-day money back trial period.  If at the end of that time the patient experiences no change in his/her tinnitus, the treatment can be stopped and money given back.  Since I live a 3 hours drive away, it is not practical for me to try it there.  I may explore it with a local audiologist.

If anyone is interested Google neuromonics and look for a trained audiologist in your area.

Clarice
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 08:22:59 am by CHD63 »
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 01:40:11 pm »
This thread was started quite a while ago so hope new people are looking at the dates.

Clarice ~

Good point.  I was responding to Lori (#15) and her post from 2 days ago (8/18/11).  However, your information regarding the specifics of Neuromonics, based on your own research (including an audiologist consultation) are very informative and offer an even wider perspective on this device, including the potential drawbacks for SSD people.  We appreciate your input.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mellowrama

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 07:07:48 pm »
Sorry to hear about your tinnitus troubles! 

My tinnitus was driving me crazy for (and still does when stressed,etc) and after researching extensively there doesn't seem to be anything that can be done for my situation. 

But, I have to say that over time it has gotten better!  I don't think its changed, but I think I've gotten used to it...there is hope.
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

mk

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 07:39:24 pm »
I don't have tinnitus so I haven't really researched the topic. However today I stumbled upon an ad on the local paper about a Tinnitus Management Event, where there will be a demonstration of a technology called the mind (TM) and CLEAR (TM) series by Widex. The ad mentions that these hearing devices offer use a program called Zen, which are basically tones that may provide relief as a sound therapy tool in a tinnitus management program.
Anyway, the ad goes on and on, and I don't know if this is any good, but I just thought I would mention it since I saw this thread. I have all the details in case someone is interested.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.