Author Topic: BAHA problem again  (Read 8806 times)

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
BAHA problem again
« on: August 03, 2011, 03:28:15 pm »
I started wearing my BP100 in July 2010, so it has been a year. It has gone in 3 times for repair, twice for a cracked case, and once for the teflon seal that was peeling off the post that plugs into the abutment. It is going in for the 4th time.

First repair was for the cracked case. They removed the processor and put it in a new case. Next time, the seal started peeling off, and they put a new seal on. The last time, the case cracked again, and they sent the entire unit to the manufacturer for examination and replaced the entire unit with a new BP100.

Today I noticed the the seal is peeling away on this unit. I will call Cochlear, and they will be more than willing to fix it... again...top notch service people out there in Colorado, but I'm pretty sick about the quality of their product. Yes, it is great when it works, but it looks like this a continuing problem, and once the warranty is expired, their accountant will list me on their balance sheet as an asset. I had a 1960 Austin Healey and had to go to a machine shop to have parts made, because there were no parts on the shelf. The owner of the shop loved me and my wallet. It was easy to solve the problem, I sold the car. But now, I have a screw buried in my head, with no hair around it, and only one place to go to get it fixed, and I'm sure no one wants to buy a used abutment and BP100.

I don't want to buy an extended warranty because they are very expensive. Shouldn't have to because they make a faulty product.

If you are thinking about a BP100, give it a lot of thought. This is not like buying glasses...if you don't like your frames you can just get new ones. They don't bolt your glasses into your skull. Of course, the BAHA is!

James

james e

Re: BAHA problem again
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 04:00:36 pm »
I just talked to Cochlear, and the service tech was nicer than nice. I am sending the BAHA in for repair...again. It is under warranty and will be repaired. If it was not under warranty, this repair is $395.00 and you get a 6 month warranty. Such a deal! This is the second time for the same repair...how about $790.00 in repair this year! Like my wife said, "sell the Healey!"

If this continues as a problem, the FDA might be interested. This product requires surgery, and is not like a hearing aid that is a passive installation. Like I said, the service tech was nice, but that does not solve the problem.

James

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 04:09:17 pm »
James ~

While I don't usually favor getting government agencies involved in my business, in your case, it may be the right thing to do.  But first, I would consider writing a letter to the company outlining the continuing problems and their dire need for improved quality control then see how they respond.  Frankly their good customer service is only a Band-Aid on the underlying problem and Cochlear should be made aware of that.  The poor quality you're finding with your BAHA unit is definitely disquieting and frankly, does not inspire confidence in this expensive product.  However, you're doing our members a service by making the problems known to potential BAHA users and that is appreciated.

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 11:33:39 pm »
First of allthe Cochlear BAHA comes with a 2 year warranty, not a 6 month warranty.  Secondly, it sounds like they just need to replace the whole thing again, or maybe "trade you up" to the Power model.  Instead of dealing with Cochlear directly, why don't you consider having your audiologist do it for you?  I found that the Cochlear techs, though nice, don't always know as much as I think they should.  There is one audiologist on the West Coast who has been the liaison for my audiologist and he really knows how to get things done.  I stopped calling Cochlear a while ago, because it only frustrated me.  I'm getting further by letting my audiologist be the liaison.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

james e

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 06:29:30 am »
I know that it has a 2 year warranty. In my first year it has broken 4 times. At the end of 2 years your can get an extended warranty for around $55 a month. It appears they have problems and cannot solve them. Without the extended warranty, if you pay for a repair out of pocket, you get a 6 month warranty with the repair. I don't know if that just covers the repair, or the entire unit.

Out of warranty,having this repair done, replacing the seal, cost $395.00. This will be the second time this year, more than 6 months apart, for a cost of $790.00. The entire unit was replaced at the end of June 2011. It is a sink hole with no bottom.

I don't get someone else to fight my battles. This is my problem and I will get it solved without an audiologist going to bat for me. The squeaky wheel gets the oil, and they will hear me squeak. I am out of town for about a week, and when I get back, I will start working on this. I'll keep you updated.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 06:56:37 am »
James -

go to the top when you talk to Cochlear.  Insist on a manager or someone else in charge.

Tell them about all the repairs you've had - even though their records show this - and insist that because of all the problems you've had, you want a brand new BP100.  It's not unheard of - in fact it's very common - for Cochlear to give out new processors when they have to.  They may even offer you their latest processor.

It's unfortunate that you are among what appears to be many who've had problems with the BP100.  I've had mine since April 2010 and it's only been in for repairs twice - once when it was stuck in the 3rd (music) setting and once when the low battery warning kept beeping despite the battery not being low.  This was in the early months and I haven't had any issues since.

Processors can be like cars; sometimes you just get a lemon.

I hope you get this issue resolved with Cochear.  As you say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  Give 'em hell.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

james e

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 08:55:59 am »
They sent me a new one June 29, 2011. It is one month old. They rebuilt my first one with the new uncrackable case, and it cracked. Then they sent me the new one.

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 11:24:35 am »
James I have the same problem with my BP100. I had the same problems as you, we even sent them in about the same time. Now the plastic barrier is peeling again after about two weeks of wear. Because of this I use my dehydrator every night to make sure it is nice and dry. The thing is even though Cochlear is more then willing to make a repair it is a pain to keep sending it back every six weeks or so not to mention not having the unit. If they can't fix it maybe we should be offered a lifetime warranty as compensation for a defective product. Going to the FDA might not be such a bad idea. I just looked at it and it is cracked AGAIN @#%&&%@.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:41:42 am by keithk »
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

tenai98

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 12:30:06 pm »
Mine went in twice...Second time it was for a crack case...At this point so far so good...but keeping an eye on these post...
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Sam Rush

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 01:19:05 pm »
When I first got my Divino in 7/05, it was stuck in low volume and I didn't realize something was wrong until I tried someone else's.  They replaced it and this one has worked fine for 6 years now. I was thinking of upgrading, but not after hearing about all the problems with the newer models.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 09:35:36 pm »
Keith -

you should check w/your audiologist.  Some have loaners they can give you when your processor is in for repairs.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

james e

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 12:58:08 pm »
Well, I'm back from my annual disfunctional  family reunion in Georgia...all my cousins think we should all get married to each other...does this happen at your reunions?

I am sending in my unit tomorrow and will call Cochlear on Wed or Thursday to follow up with a supervisor. I will keep you advised.

James

james e

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 12:14:16 pm »
I received my repaired BAHA on Monday AM...3 repairs on the old one, and this is the first one on a one month old new BAHA. I love the way it works, but I am very disappointed in the reliability. I contacted Cochlear yesterday, after I checked on some consumer protection laws, and I discussed their poor reliability and the ability we have as consumers.

They could have not been nicer on  the phone. We discussed my point of view, and I was offered an additional year of warranty on my now 2 month old BAHA. I thought this was an excellent offer. Now I have two more years of warranty since June 2010.

The reliability is still a question in my mind, but I believe in the ability of this product to improve my life, and I hope this new BAHA is a good one.

I told The rep on the phone that I have an old Sony TV, never repaired, that is 15 years old, and it still works like new. I have a 13 year old boat and motor, and it has never had to be repaired. That is what I want out of a BAHA. If this one continues to be a problem, then I will have to take another action, but I really just want this to work in a flawless manner for lots of years, just like my TV and boat.

At this time, Cochlear is acting responsibly and I know that they want US to be happy consumers. They are very easy to work with, and they are responsive. Thumbs up to their customer service.

James

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 01:28:00 pm »
It seems to me that no one takes pride in building things like they used to. They don't build them to last anymore. I bet most companies tell them to make it break down more or use cheaper materials so people either have to pay to get it fixed or buy a new item.  It's the way of the world and greedy.  The other problem is the FDA is holding Cochlear back on approving new replacement parts.  A lot of red tape just to get something simple fix is a bunch of bull.
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 01:56:06 pm »
James ~

Even though I'm not a BAHA user I've been following your 'adventures' with your BP100 unit and I'm glad to learn that you finally have the (repaired) unit back.  I hope it holds up better than previously.  Although good customer service is a great company attribute and has been helpful for you, it doesn't obviate the need for better quality in Cochlear's product.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.