Author Topic: BAHA problem again  (Read 8805 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: BAHA problem again
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 02:07:41 pm »
It seems to me that no one takes pride in building things like they used to. They don't build them to last anymore. I bet most companies tell them to make it break down more or use cheaper materials so people either have to pay to get it fixed or buy a new item.  It's the way of the world and greedy.  The other problem is the FDA is holding Cochlear back on approving new replacement parts.  A lot of red tape just to get something simple fix is a bunch of bull.

Ken ~ 

I agree. Government agencies, while they do serve a purpose, too often amount to bureaucratic labyrinths that stall innovations and ultimately do consumers more harm than good. 

The lack of quality in manufacturing is becoming legend.  It permeates far too many areas of manufacturing. Although I have no doubt that greed is a factor, a company must make a profit to survive in the marketplace and pay it's investors/owners.  Sometimes, skimping on quality is a reaction to increased costs of manufacturing, e.g. U.S. firms relocating to foreign countries to obtain cheaper labor or moving to a different state due to a lower tax rate - and cheaper labor. 

Fortunately, I've been able to find major-purchase products of value that do last (in most cases) but it's always a bit of a gamble.  Too bad.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 09:35:49 pm »
James -

if nothing else, I'm glad that Cochlear is still providing stellar customer service to you - it's one of the foundations the company is built on.

It's unfortunate that you've had so many problems with the BP100; you're not alone in this.  It seems that there are two groups of BP100 wearers - those who've had minor problems that were fixed easily and those who've had nothing but problems.

I'm thankful I'm in the former category, but sorry you're in the latter.

I hope that this will be your last repair for a long, long time.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 08:49:16 am »
My understanding is that this is not a REAL Cochlear product. It is manufactured in Sweden, and Cochlear purchased the company or maybe just the product, and puts the Cochlear name on it.  Maybe Jan knows more about this.

I am aware that injection molding...probably like the case is made, can leave small ridges on  the final product when the two halves of the dies meet. This can become a weak point and because the BAHA vibrates, it can cause these lines to fracture. Ken's and my units have both fractured at the same point, and I believe it is along one of these lines that the fracture is happening. If you take the battery cover off, there are two small screw on either side of the battery holder. My cracks have been next to these screws. Ken believes  they over torqued the screws during assembly...and he may be correct. Either way, both of these can be corrected easily.

The seal is another problem. I believe it is just a water proofing seal to keep sweat and other moisture out of the BAHA. It looks like the edges of the seal are glued to the back of the BAHA, and the seal begins to separate from the case. It needs to be re-engineered, or they need to hire 3M to get a new adhesive.

Little things, like using less force to tighten a screw, or polishing the raised manufacturing line from injection molding to be flat could solve the cracking problem.

I am looking on the bright side, and hoping they correct these issues.

James

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 05:09:35 pm »
My BAHA is going in tomorrow for the 3rd time. It is also being escalated, who knows if that helps. This is the last time it is going in for repair. The next time I will force the issue about a replacement.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 04:00:15 pm »
I have my BAHA back for 7 days and the plastic shield if coming off already.

I have lost all confidence in the BP100 and I am going to demand a replacement.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 05:05:39 pm »
WOW!!  just read through this thread,  Sorry your having so much trouble James.  I am glad I did not decide to have the bolt installed.  I tried a Transear instead.  After 6 months of fooling around with it, having it remade 4x, I gave up,  but at least I'm not left with a bolt in my head.  (Well, actually I do have screws, plates etc ;)

anyway,  Hope you get it all worked out james, ....now, lets get back to that post about the disfunctional reunion marring cousins...sounds like more fun than a bad BAHA     ;D  LOL

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 07:24:38 pm »
Yikes, James!!!

You have a "bolt" in your head  ???  I was not aware of that!

Jan  ::)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 11:03:35 am »
I know that you don't think I have a "bolt" in my head, but it does drive me kind of "nuts" at times. It does bother me that the BAHA is not a passive system like a hearing aid that just slips over your ear. You have to have a minor but expensive surgery and then you are stuck with the Cochlear BAHA. I love the function of the product, but the reliability for me has been poor, and other posters here are having the same problem.

There are thousands of SSD people that can benefit from this product, and I have to believe that they are working on answers to these problems. They are in business to make money, and having their product receive poor ratings is not good for their business...see Patti UT's post.

By the way Patti, we have decided against the marriages. There are 14 cousins, and we all grew up together, but now live thousands of miles apart. We see each other one day each year, but we do like hugging each other, love each other dearly, and probably flirt with each other a lot...but all in fun. Well, some of the girls are still pretty cute....

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 03:15:25 pm »
James .....

I do not remember when Cochlear changed their posts, but if you happen to be fortunate enough to have the original post they made, to my knowledge, it is interchangeable with the Oticon Medical Ponto abutments.

Admittedly I have only been able to use my Ponto Pro for a few weeks, but I have had no problems with it.

The catch, of course, is money.  Your insurance company might fight paying for another company's similar product this soon after getting the Cochlear product.

Just my thoughts.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 06:51:09 pm »
Yes, James, I know you don't have a bolt.  Just a little tongue in cheek humor on my part  ;D

The fact that I have a titanium rod sunk into my skull isn't something that I think about on a day to day basis; in fact I haven't thought about it much at all since it was implanted.  It's just that the word "bolt" reminds me of Frankenstein and his neck bolts and I don't want people to think that the BAHA is somehow similar because it definitely is not!

As far as Cochlear goes, I had excellent results with my Divino - it's never been repaired and although I don't wear it since I got my BP100 I can say with 100% confidence that it still works as well as the day I got it.

I've been one of the fortunate ones with the BP100 - there are SO many who have had issues with theirs; I'm thankful every day. 

I'm sorely disappointed in Cochlear - even though I love them as a company and value their incredible customer service - but that doesn't mean I'm sorry that I chose a Cochlear product over an Oticon product.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  Like choosing surgery over radiation for treatment of my AN, it was the right choice for me.

Jan