Author Topic: In For Repairs Again  (Read 7729 times)

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: In For Repairs Again
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 07:37:53 am »
I just looked at my BAHA as I went to bed last night, and it is cracked. This is the third time. Just like Keith's was a few months ago, right where one of the screws goes through the case to hold it all together. Last time they fixed it, they said this was the new improved case.

NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!

I did not use it as a jack stand, and my neighbor did not run over my head while I was wearing it.

NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!

James

james e

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 11:36:37 am »
Just got off the phone from Cochlear...NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!

Personalties are personalties, but the Cochlear support guy I talked to right now really pi--ed me off. He talked to me like I was a first grade kid, and I HATE being talked down to. The computer talking to me was better than talking  to that guy! I'm not stupid...I'm just SSD and you don't have to talk down to me so I can understand you!

My BAHA cracked in March 2011, May 2011, and June 2011. Each time I was told I am getting the new BAHA body, and that will stop the cracking. This guy told me I would be getting the new body, and I told him I was told that the last two times. I asked if they changed the body since May 2011, and he said, "oh yea, I think they changed it in the last 6 weeks." I asked what changed, and he said he had been talking to a fellow employee who said they were changing the screws. I asked to talk to someone that can confirm what is being done to solve this problem.

He began to mention I can purchase an extended warranty, but I stopped him. All I want to know about is how is your company going to correct this problem. I'll let you if I get a call from someone that gives a darn about us!

James

PS All of my other contacts with Cochlear people have been excellent, and I do not mean to talk badly about their support team. At this time, I'm just fed up with them talking around the problem, and I want to talk to an engineer/designer about what is going on. I'm not interested in buying an extended warranty on a faulty product. The BAHA is a great device, but I'm not happy that I send it in every other month. Maybe Ponto will come up with an adaptor and I'll get one of those. It really makes me angry to have a surgery and go through the healing, spend a lot of money, and get a bad product.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 04:39:09 pm »
James -

if you aren't already a member of the Cochlear Community, then you need to become one (www.cochlearcommunity.com).

There are lots of Cochlear Awareness reps and others there who work for Cochlear that will help you.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease. 

So my best advice is become a member (it's free), locate a rep in your area, and send them an earful (no pun intended) in a personal message.  Unfortunately sometimes it's getting to the right person that solves the issue.

Good luck.

Kris -

the HLAA Chicago Walk is usually in October @ Diversey Harbor and it's organized by the head of the pediatric audiology dept @ Adventist Hinsdale Hospital - Dawn Maniskas.  I have Dawn's contact info that I can pass along to you when we get closer to October; it's too early to discuss it now.

You'll probably see Dr. Battista long before I do; give him my best  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

heyct

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 09:29:40 pm »
James: So sorry to hear of your woes w/Cochlear's BAHA. I was wondering.....how many of you got the extra warranty ($$$) if offered?

I'm receiving my Ponto Pro in August & was given the option. Thanks Kris!, for the update on the Oticon Pro Power. I'm going to email my audiologist this evening & see if they can upgrade my device or see if they can demo. Can't wait!

Carolyn
Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

james e

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 08:32:45 am »
I got a call back from Cochlear, and thought I posted a  reply about the call. I had a stroke a while back and my short term memory has suffered, and sometimes I cannot remember what I have done sometimes...sorry.

Happy Camper now. A rep said that the last time it cracked, they removed the internal components and put them in "the  new case", and "fixed it off the shelf." It should not have cracked. Cochlear is going to send my unit to the manufacturer "as is" so they can examine it. They are going to down load my settings onto an new BAHA and swap it out. I am getting one that was newly manufactured and not a repaired one.

I am happy because this rep did not try to talk around  the problem. She said she has no idea why it cracked, made no excuses, and that this a beginning to determine the cause of the problem. Keith, you need to call Cochlear and pull their chain a little.

The rep I talked to was professional, and just the type of person I really wanted to deal with.

We had friends over for dinner last night, and my wife grabbed my arm and asked if I had my "ear" on, because I was not responding to the conversations. I have already set in my BAHA, and I was missing out on what was being said. I miss my BAHA already.

I hope they figure  this out quickly. Maybe they can make a titanium case! Light weight, bullet proof.

James

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2011, 02:58:11 pm »
Bulletproof  ;D

Glad to hear you're a happy camper once again.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 05:00:16 pm »
Gee James, while you are at it, how about waterPROOF too  ;)   Wouldn't that be great for users.  Haha

I have read on this topic where some mention about the Cochlear Baha 3 POWER.   Here is a link I found to the FDA clearance was last month:

http://products.cochlearamericas.com/news/FDA-clearance-Baha3-power-sound-processor

I read more about the 2 POWER items.  Can anyone else say what the better part of these are supposed to be, that they are aware of?

Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 12:15:31 pm »
James

I am glad that Cochlear has stepped up and replaced your processor. Maybe the manufacturer can figure what the problem is. I expect mine back this week and just maybe finally fixed.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 09:45:50 pm »
This is some great info...I had my abutment put in, then taken out...and now gonna be put back in again next week.  I got the Ponto Pro as well, so maybe I'll get in on that software upgrade.  I am thinking that this should be adequate enough for me without having to go to Pontro Pro Power.
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston