Author Topic: In For Repairs Again  (Read 7730 times)

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
In For Repairs Again
« on: June 22, 2011, 12:09:09 pm »
Yesterday I sent my BAHA back for repairs. One week after getting it back the case cracked again. Along with the case it would shut off when it felt like it, even with a fresh battery and the feedback is terrible. I have the feedback manager off on program 1 and on in program 2 and still get feedback. I think it all has to do with the cracked case.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Re: In For Repairs Again
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 03:49:28 pm »
I think it must have to do with the cracked case.  I cannot believe you have had so many cracked cases.  Mine finally seems to be stable with the newest adjustments that were made.  I just don't find it powerful enough and will demo the new programmable Intenso when it comes in.  Keep making Cochlear replace your cracked cases.  Evidently the cracks aren't always visible.  Are you sure it is cracked?
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 04:07:25 pm »
It is is cracked alright. From front to back on the right side. Last time it was cracked on both sides. It acculaay cracked less then one week after it returned from repair. I just couldn't give it up until now, and I am lost without it.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

ksiwek

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 06:57:53 pm »
Dale...

Seeing this post reminds me that I wanted to let you know that I believe that Oticon must be almost ready to launch (or maybe they already have) their high powered device...Ponto Pro Power.  I saw it on a course brochure.  I will keep you posted on anything I learn! 

When is Cochlear's high powered device launching...do you know???
Hope all is well!

Kris
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 10:56:53 pm »
Thanks, Kris.  I think Oticon's is already out.  Cochlear's is coming out in the next few months.  The problem for me, is I have the newer abutment and the Oticon will not fit on my abutment.  I found out that they would have to take out the abutment and let the skin grow over my post, then put in a new post for the Oticon.  It would not be worth the expense, not to mention the second hole in my head!  My insurance would definitely not approve this a second time.  So, I am kind of stuck with Cochlear.  I will say, mine is much improved this time around and I am not so frustrated.  I truly notice the difference when I am not wearing it and the feed back is almost non-existant.  Thanks so much.
~Dale
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 06:05:13 am »
Kris .....

Are you getting the Ponto Pro Power?  Wonder if I can trade mine in since it has not been opened yet ......  Hmmmm.  Should have asked last week-end.  Actually I am just tickled to be able to soon have the Ponto Pro and some left side hearing again soon!

Dale .....

This is one of the reasons I went with the Oticon.  However, I am so glad yours is much improved now so Cochlear does come through apparently.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 06:08:17 am »
Waiting and watching all these posts with much interests...

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 08:03:03 am »
Keith, so sorry to hear about all of your problems!  Very discouraging, especially when you were so much looking forward to the Baha.  I got mine right after you (if I remember correctly) and have had great success.  The audiologist who "installed" mine said that I had the model that was released in January and that it was MUCH better than the earlier BP100/3 models.  She said that almost all of the earlier models her department installed came back for feedback problems - this was corrected in the most recent generation with the plastic battery door "latch."  That is what she said, in any event.  She is in the NYU audiology department and they do a pretty high volume of bahas so I tend to think she has a pretty good baseline.

I went back about 2 months after the initial installation to have my second program activated and to have her adjust the higher decibels a bit to get rid of some minor feedback (I only got it when certain higher ranges of music were playing).  No other issues.  I feel pretty lucky given the problems that others, like you and Dale, have had.  It really doesn't seem right that you've had TWO cracked covers - that's just crazy, isn't it?

I sure hope you get this resolved.  I am kind of lost without my baha now, too.  It is pretty amazing to me how much improvement I've gotten over the last few months.  It was good to start with, but as my brain has adjusted, it is even better now.  The other day I was in an Applebee's (and you KNOW how noisy those places are) and I realized that I was not having any problem hearing the person sitting across from me - no more craning my neck around into anatomically impossible positions in order to catch a word here or there.  I'm definitely a fan of bone anchored hearing devices!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 11:49:52 am »
Poor old Keith...we need to start a Dave Letterman "10 things not to do when you are wearing your BAHA." Number one  might be, don't let your neighbor run over your head with his truck while you are wearing your BAHA. Number 2, do not use your BAHA for a jack stand.

Last time yours cracked, mine cracked. Mine works perfectly, so you have to stop doing what ever you have been doing!

James

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 02:22:39 pm »
Clarice,
I'm not anticipating that you will have any problems at all, but if you ever wanted to change to Cochlear, you would have the same problem I have in reverse.  You would not have the appropriate abutment.  Also, before you ask if you should change to the Ponto Pro Power, you should see how satisfactory your Ponto Pro is.  It might be perfectly adequate for you.  You'll have to wear it for a few months before you really know.

Kay,
Don't let a few of us scare you.  Mine is doing well now.  My only question is weather or not I will need the Intenso.  I think at this point, Cochlear would be amenable to a bait and switch!  I won't do it without demoing the new Intenso for a week or two.

~Dale
Tarzana, CA

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 03:06:43 pm »
I'm sorry that you've having so problems with your processor, Keith.

I got my BP100/BP3 a year ago in April and I haven't had any issues with it in a long, long time (knocking on wood, even as I speak).

Sounds like unfortunately you just got a lemon  :'(

It happens. 

Although it's a major pain, don't hesitate to keep returning your processor to Cochlear until they get it right.  They WILL get it right!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ksiwek

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 06:24:19 pm »
Hi all,

I just spoke at an Oticon training event for audiologists...so I was able to get some updated information!

Clarice, you have 90 days with your processor to decide if you like it or not to have it switched out.  The FDA just approved the Ponto Pro Power this past Friday, so it is now available.  I have not tried it, but we talked about the opportunity for me to demo it just so I know the difference...I do have normal hearing in my good ear.  I think you told me that you had to drive a ways to get your Ponto programmed???  Otherwise you might see if they could get a Ponto Pro Power demo for you to try out before opening the box.  If you go to oticonmedical.com, they just updated the site this week to have information about the Power device, so I am going to check it out later tonight.

I was also told that there are software upgrades available for Ponto Pro that continue to enhance the sound quality and word discrimination.  All units being activated now will have the software based upgrade.  They said that I could go to my audiologist and have it quickly updated for free!  I am told that all units now have a tamper resistant battery door for children.

They also recently added silver as a color option.

Hope this information is helpful!

Jan, just got the audio cord today...and it is indeed a concert in my head!  Very fun!  I haven't tried it with a phone yet...do you use it much that way???

Kris
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 06:57:54 pm »
Kris -

somewhere Dr. Battista is smiling  ;D

I've worked with audiologists from Cochlear - helped train them how to program BP100s - and now you've worked with audiologists from Oticon.  I think he's very proud of both of us  ;D

Glad you like your audio cord.  The concert in your head is truly something to be experienced.  This is an accessory that you should "talk up" with those from Oticon.  Most people I know from Cochlear - and my own audiologist @ Chicago Ear (Krystine) - don't know anyone who uses an audio adapter and they have no idea how great it is.  So spread the word!

I've never used my audio adapter with a phone.  I typically still use my "good" ear when I talk on the phone even though my BAHA would let me use my "bad" ear. 

Sorry I missed you at the symposium.  If I don't make it to LA in 2013, we'll have to get together in Chicago.  Maybe I'll do the HLAA Walk again this year on behalf of Dr. Battista's pediatric audiology program and you'll join me.  The more the merrier; it's a great cause.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ksiwek

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 08:10:01 pm »
Hey Jan!

I really need to catch up with Dr Battista one day again soon...I haven't talked to him since December!  I will have make a point to get to say hello to him when I have my Ponto software updated!  I saw Dr Wiet attended the symposium, but it sounded like Dr Battista was at another conference that was the same time...

I would love to do the walk with you...and more importantly, to meet you!  Pass along any details you may have!

It really was a great opportunity to share my experience with the group of audiologists.  I hope that it helps drive them to talk about the option with patients who are candidates and feel good about offering the device!  There is such a lack of awareness...from both a health care profession and patient standpoint!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 09:22:49 pm »
Thanks for the info, Kris.  It looks now like I will have to go out of state to have my processor programmed.  It has not been opened so when I make the contact, I will ask about the possibility of testing the other model and/or getting the silver color (mine is the chrome beige at the moment).

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011