Author Topic: So far so good  (Read 9699 times)

cameragal

So far so good
« on: June 19, 2011, 03:35:19 pm »
I had my surgery on Fri June 17.  It is Sunday June 19 and I am home and just made dinner.  I had a 1.9 cm completey removed.  Some minor nausea the first day and a half.  No pain, minor dizzeness.
Thank you to my Drs.  Megarian and Bubakedis (sp). at University Hosp. in Cleveland. They are simpley the best.
I feel so bad to read all the difficult times that some are going through, but I had to post a possitive one also.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: So far so good
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 03:56:10 pm »
Hi, cameragal ~

Thanks for posting!  I'm delighted to learn that your AN surgery was a success and that you're home already. That is a rapid hospital stay.   Well done!  I also appreciate that you made the effort to encourage other AN patients facing surgery by sharing your positive experience.  Please try to keep us updated as you continue your recovery.  Thanks.  Now, take it easy and enjoy the chance to rest.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Silver Sonnet

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 05:10:52 pm »
How wonderful that you are home and functioning so quickly!  Yay!

And thank you for posting such positive news.  I have been surprised at how much I've come to appreciate and cling to good news these days.  You make me feel even more confident about my own upcoming surgery :)

cameragal

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 05:19:18 pm »
Would it make you feel even better if I told you I was 61 yrs old??

JAndrews

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 05:43:39 pm »
???? I am a nurse...how on earth are you out of the hospital this quick and making dinner after brain surgery???
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 01:00:37 am »
Curious, which type of surgery did you have?  I thought most people were in the hospital for at least 3 days.   Your situation sounds pretty amazing...hope it continues!!

W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

cameragal

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 04:11:31 am »
I don't know all the names of the surgeries, but they cut behind my ear and went in through the skull to remove it.

cameragal

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 04:12:34 am »
JAndrews, perhaps the Dr. had much to do with it?

Desilu

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 05:50:51 am »
Hi Cameragal,

That is totally awesome! Always great to hear such good news! I believe Attitude is half the battle and you definitely have the right attitude and doctors too.  So glad you had such a positive outcome. I am so happy for you. I wish all AN surgery's went that well.  Your posting has just made my day! What time can I come over for dinner?  :)  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 06:11:17 am »
I don't know all the names of the surgeries, but they cut behind my ear and went in through the skull to remove it.

Retrosigmoid, aka sub-occipital.

Making dinner so soon after surgery  ???  Didn't you have a family member who could have done that for you?  Afterall you just had brain surgery. 

Hope it wasn't anything more than heating a can of soup.  Don't overdo it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

deheisel11

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 08:03:06 am »
WONDER WOMAN!  Congrats on the wonderful outcome and thanks for sharing goodnews.
translab surgery of 2.6cm neuroma, right side, by Dr. Welling at Ohio State, 6-18-10.  BAHA base placed on same day.  Facial paralysis. Gold weight 7-14-10.

BostonBill

• Aside from tumor, picture of health, living dream
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 02:20:54 pm »
Way to go! Let's keep all these positive vibes going!  ;)

I hope to be able to continue to give good updates as well. God knows they help!
Diagnosed Dec 21, 2010, 1.75 x 1.75cm plan is for retrosigmoid removal scheduled for June 15th at MGH by Dr Barker & Dr Lee. Putting off so I may enjoy my sons senior year varsity hockey, lacrosse seasons and graduation. That and our annual trip to Cancun in May.

cameragal

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 03:23:44 pm »
The kids are always asking what can they do.  But I have been a single women taking care of myself (and my mom of 88) for soo long, I just can'
t sit and have others do for me when I can do them myself.
I won't hesitate to ask if I need too, but I love my independance too much.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 05:58:32 pm »
So happy for you that things are going way above average for most of us.   Your last comment on being independent makes a HUGE difference for many too!

Just please remember to take it easy and NOT over do it!  You had a major surgery and doing too much can cause harm and set backs sometimes!  Be sure to get plenty of rest and LET the kids help you out....you deserve it!!

Denise (MI)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

cameragal

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 08:00:17 am »
I haven't researched this yet, but anyone else have taste bud issues?  I have no appetite and nothing tastes good.  Is this permanent or just a short term issue.  I've lost 8lbs which I won't complain about.  Just wondering